Alpha 20 building system that I can't understand :-(

BuildingWorker

support column                                                                           support column

support column             support column
            break point  

The Building areas is 13*8,and the height is 9(The height of the support column is 4).  I dug a block as shown in the table, the whole building collapsed ! all !!! 

How happy I was just now, how sad I am now 😞

So can someone tell me why this is ? THX......

And becase I died twice becase of a bug, hummm...Also just now. :-((((

@ Someone(You know who it is😀

Edited by BuildingWorker (see edit history)

You seem to have 96 hanging blocks and 20 supporting faces; 4.8 blocks per face. That should be fine on any single type of the basic building materials.

If there's dirt in there, that could cause issues; if there's farm plots - check the numbers, I haven't looked at A20 numbers. Or if there's a combination of different types of blocks, steel weighs a lot for wood to carry etc.

To be fair, I haven't looked at ANY of the weight values in A20 yet.

40 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Did you undermine your support column when you dug a block out? Dirt blocks are....weird when it comes to adjusting the terrain on removal.

I have done this many times by mistake.  After the first one, I will support the column before I did and then verify if I removed the material underneath it prior to removing my supports.  Best way to learn  was the first mistake when my entire section collapsed and I realized I accidently took out more than I intended  😁

57 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You seem to have 96 hanging blocks and 20 supporting faces; 4.8 blocks per face. That should be fine on any single type of the basic building materials.

If there's dirt in there, that could cause issues; if there's farm plots - check the numbers, I haven't looked at A20 numbers. Or if there's a combination of different types of blocks, steel weighs a lot for wood to carry etc.

To be fair, I haven't looked at ANY of the weight values in A20 yet.

Yes, it is single type of the basic building materials. To be fair, "I haven't looked at ANY of the weight values in A20 yet"---I think so too. It makes me very uncomfortable becase I hava to be very careful😞 

13 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I have done this many times by mistake.  After the first one, I will support the column before I did and then verify if I removed the material underneath it prior to removing my supports.  Best way to learn  was the first mistake when my entire section collapsed and I realized I accidently took out more than I intended  😁

No, you can look at my table. that block is not an important support point~😄

23 hours ago, BuildingWorker said:

Yes, it is single type of the basic building materials. To be fair, "I haven't looked at ANY of the weight values in A20 yet"---I think so too. It makes me very uncomfortable becase I hava to be very careful😞 

No, you can look at my table. that block is not an important support point~😄

1) It's unclear whether you are building in wood or cobblestone. I would recommend cobble over wood for what you are building

2) Digging/mining can be funky in 7DTD. Sometimes you break the block behind the one you are aiming at. The lesson from this as BFT said is to add additional support pillars with wood frames anytime you are digging near your supports

Edited by Kosmic Kerman (see edit history)

Building and removing has always been weird the one day back in 19.6 we decided to blow up dishong tower with rocket launchers and there was entire sections just.. floating in midair. I've also noticed that if i build a 9x9 cube on support columns every 3 blocks, then remove a block from 4 beams on one entire side, it won't collapse even if i have a roof too.

Just gotta take extra precautions when building larger stuff and ALWAYS have a nice pillar 3 blocks thick to be extra secure

On 2021/12/16 at PM3点31分, Darklegend222 said:

在 19.6 的某一天,我们决定用火箭发射器炸毁 dishong 塔,整个部分只是……漂浮在半空中。我还注意到,如果我每 3 个方块在支撑柱上建造一个 9x9 立方体,然后从整个一侧的 4 个横梁中移除一个方块,即使我也有屋顶,它也不会倒塌。

在建造更大的东西时必须采取额外的预防措施,并且总是有一个 3 块厚的漂亮柱子以确保额外的安全

👍