"Null ReferenceException: object reference not set to an instance of an object". My friend can't log into my game!

Anxwi

My friends and I play in my world. The other day, one of my friends could not enter the game. We tried all the server commands - it still can't log in. We even tried to Disable profiles on the server so that he would go under a new character, but the perks remained.
When he enters the server player list, he appears, but his character does not appear. And loading the game he hangs on "character creation". His console only writes one error: "Null ReferenceException: object reference not set to an instance of an object". 
He can enter other servers and his own world
spacer.png

My other friends can log into my game

14 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

The screenshot is useless.  Can you read the Pinned thread telling you how to report an issue, and follow the instructions? Actual details on the error are in your log.

Usually this is caused by a mod or corrupt files. Can't really say until we see the log though.

How do I open a log? Where is he located?

To be specific, it is the third pinned topic

38 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

no body wants to admire the beauty of our forum. the art work is here for ALL to look at and enjoy. :)

forum links.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

but if the art is blocked , then so is the help you need... turn off ad blockers here or whitelist us... we server no ads.

FYI you only see the green banner from the forums,  The red banner is only access the bug reportng section, and the blue is only if you are not already logged in.

However, none of those explain the process for posting in the support section to get assistance. Some of the information is the same, but the banner points towards bug reporting; which might not be obvious to some

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dGgPoB9VYidmcTi2tJ-c5y32eSiK7WFe/view?usp=sharing

19 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

The screenshot is useless.  Can you read the Pinned thread telling you how to report an issue, and follow the instructions? Actual details on the error are in your log.

Usually this is caused by a mod or corrupt files. Can't really say until we see the log though.

Sorry, I didn’t find how to attach a file, so I sent a link to google drive

The post had instructions to use Pastebin even. >.<   I'm sorry, but is reading really that hard?

You didn't open up access to the file either. Just follow the instructions. It's not rocket science. You simply need to be able to read and understand basic middle-school English.

On 1/27/2016 at 10:17 PM, SylenThunder said:

Please find the appropriate file, open it, copy everything. Then go to http://pastebin.com, paste all the text in there, click Submit and then post the link in the thread itself. If the log content is too big to be pasted on pastebin.com, try https://justpaste.it/ 

I suppose if reading is hard, you're one of those people that need a YouTube video to know how to do anything?  That's fine. I've got you covered.

Honestly, we could probably have had an answer for you 24 hours ago if you had just read and followed the instructions in the first place. 

There is a reason those topics are Pinned at the top of the forum.

We really do want to help, but you need to be able to help yourself first.

Here is the actual error.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GameManager.PlayerId (System.Int32 _playerId, System.Int32 _teamNumber, PlayerDataFile _playerDataFile, System.Int32 _chunkViewDim) [0x0005d] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at NetPackagePlayerId.ProcessPackage (World _world, INetConnectionCallbacks _netConnectionCallback) [0x00000] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at ConnectionManager.ProcessPackages (INetConnection _connection, NetPackageDirection _disallowedDirection, ClientInfo _clientInfo) [0x000c4] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at ConnectionManager.Update () [0x00109] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 

(Filename: <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8> Line: 0)

Looks like the player data file is corrupted. Find their files in the players folder (found by Steam-64 ID), back them up, and then delete them.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Here is the actual error.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at GameManager.PlayerId (System.Int32 _playerId, System.Int32 _teamNumber, PlayerDataFile _playerDataFile, System.Int32 _chunkViewDim) [0x0005d] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at NetPackagePlayerId.ProcessPackage (World _world, INetConnectionCallbacks _netConnectionCallback) [0x00000] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at ConnectionManager.ProcessPackages (INetConnection _connection, NetPackageDirection _disallowedDirection, ClientInfo _clientInfo) [0x000c4] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 
  at ConnectionManager.Update () [0x00109] in <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8>:0 

(Filename: <4b1a8c809f0943a384283687c21422f8> Line: 0)

Looks like the player data file is corrupted. Find their files in the players folder (found by Steam-64 ID), back them up, and then delete them.

As I understand it, there is no world along this path 7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds
I just found a folder with the world AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\Voluya Territory . And as I understand it, his profile is in the "Player" folder. But how to understand which particular file belongs to his character?
image.png

7 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

You can find his ID by looking him up in Steam, using a service like SteamID.io, or checking the log when they attempt to connect to your client. 

He can also look it up himself by simply checking his Steam account information.

Example...

ea00a6254cd6aa4255b0e76587d7a430.png

Right there below my name is my Steam-64 ID number.

Thank you so much! Then I had to restore the level and items through the console. But now everything is fine.
And I apologize for my inattention :)

• 9 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, SylenThunder said:

The post had instructions to use Pastebin even. >.<   I'm sorry, but is reading really that hard?

You didn't open up access to the file either. Just follow the instructions. It's not rocket science. You simply need to be able to read and understand basic middle-school English.

I suppose if reading is hard, you're one of those people that need a YouTube video to know how to do anything?  That's fine. I've got you covered

Honestly, we could probably have had an answer for you 24 hours ago if you had just read and followed the instructions in the first place. 

There is a reason those topics are Pinned at the top of the forum.

We really do want to help, but you need to be able to help yourself first.

Jesus Christ, my guy. How in the hell does someone so blatantly arrogant & disrespectful earn a staff position on this forum? I had to make an account just to address the appalling way you treat your community.

Like holy crap, the guy didn't read the post like he was supposed to, throwing subtle jabs at him while masking it as "trying to help" isn't going to help anyone.

It's like you're trying to instigate problems so you can exercise your authority over him or something. You've got some hardcore Discord mod vibes radiating off yourself. Get over the power trip, sport. You're impressing no one. Grow up and learn to respect others.

Maybe you'll get to ban me and get your rocks off a bit. Maybe it'll save some other innocent person from being the victim of your power trip arrogance. jfc.

Edited by LoganGx (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, LoganGx said:

Jesus Christ, my guy. How in the hell does someone so blatantly arrogant & disrespectful earn a staff position on this forum? I had to make an account just to address the appalling way you treat your community.

Like holy crap, the guy didn't read the post like he was supposed to, throwing subtle jabs at him while masking it as "trying to help" isn't going to help anyone.

It's like you're trying to instigate problems so you can exercise your authority over him or something. You've got some hardcore Discord mod vibes radiating off yourself. Get over the power trip, sport. You're impressing no one. Grow up and learn to respect others.

Maybe you'll get to ban me and get your rocks off a bit. Maybe it'll save some other innocent person from being the victim of your power trip arrogance. jfc.

The OP was pointed to the right direction by 4 different people, with at least one post have the direct link to the post that the OP needed to read and follow.  The instructions were there, but the OP didn't take the time to find it.

Also this thread is over 10 months old.  if you have an issue with a moderator on the forum, it is better to contact Roland directly and discuss with him the issues you have rather than just responding to a post that is so old now.   Here is a link to the rules of the forum for you to read.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The OP was pointed to the right direction by 4 different people, with at least one post have the direct link to the post that the OP needed to read and follow.  The instructions were there, but the OP didn't take the time to find it.

Also this thread is over 10 months old.  if you have an issue with a moderator on the forum, it is better to contact Roland directly and discuss with him the issues you have rather than just responding to a post that is so old now.   Here is a link to the rules of the forum for you to read.

Oh, don't bother. I'd hate to miss the slightest information and get ripped into by the forum moderation for not reading & retaining every single detail of it ... And I'm not sure where you got your education, assuming public school based on your ability to count, but the comment that I quoted was only the second post made by that specific person.

Regardless of how old the post is, or how many times OP was told where to go to read, having a staff that acts with that demeaner is only detrimental to the longevity of your site. But hey, thanks for your input. Regardless of how little it was asked for.

You can argue with me until you're blue in the face, but you will never convince me that it is okay to directly insult someone's comprehension abilities when you hold a position of power on a forum that's literally built for support. If you can't handle the position & have patience with people who might not be the most knowledgeable, you might be in the wrong position.

And obviously I'm not going to join a random site & file a formal complaint with the site owner on a moderator who has probably been in their position for x amount of years & expect to be heard or taken seriously. I'm a nobody from nowhere, and to do so would be futile. And considering this post is nearly a year old, I've got a pretty good chance to assume that the owner is aware of this person's actions so I felt my opinion would be best shared publicly.

8 minutes ago, LoganGx said:

Oh, don't bother. I'd hate to miss the slightest information and get ripped into by the forum moderation for not reading & retaining every single detail of it ... And I'm not sure where you got your education, assuming public school based on your ability to count, but the comment that I quoted was only the second post made by that specific person.

It seems you preach niceness but act at least as acerbic as SylenThunder.

BFT clearly said "The OP was pointed to the right direction by 4 different people". Which is still correct and a good sign for whoever educated him. How was your sarcastic comment about his education any better than what you were critizising ?

Regardless of how old the post is, having a staff that acts with that demeaner is only detrimental to the longevity of your site. But hey, thanks for your input. Regardless of how little it was asked for.

No staff at all. Except for Roland moderators are forum users just like you. They get not paid to be nice to everyone, they actually can be as impolite as you as long as they keep to the forum rules.

You can argue with me until you're blue in the face, but you will never convince me that it is okay to directly insult someone's comprehension abilities when you hold a position of power on a forum that's literally built for support. If you can't handle the position & have patience with people who might not be the most knowledgeable, you might be in the wrong position.

And obviously I'm not going to join a random site & file a formal complaint with the site owner on a moderator who has probably been in their position for x amount of years & expect to be heard or taken seriously. I'm a nobody from nowhere, and to do so would be futile. And considering this post is nearly a year old, I've got a pretty good chance to assume that the owner is aware of this persons' actions so I felt my opinion would be best shared publicly.

I appreciate your well thought out & articulated contribution to the conversation. Thanks for staying consistent with the quality of staff that this forum has to offer.

Anyone who's been around since 2000 and has used a forum in their life would know that forum moderators are generally referred to as the staff of that forum. The word doesn't have to be interpreted in it's literal sense.

You guys are literally defending a guy that insulted someone asking an innocent question on your forum. Whether he was able to follow the directions or not, do you want to forum to be portrayed as a place that insults those who are seeking assistance? Hardly seems like the point to have a support forum where staff .. excuse me ... "moderators" jump down someone's throat for not fully understanding a situation.

You're a support group, learn patience. Be better.

3 hours ago, LoganGx said:

I appreciate your well thought out & articulated contribution to the conversation. Thanks for staying consistent with the quality of staff that this forum has to offer.

Anyone who's been around since 2000 and has used a forum in their life would know that forum moderators are generally referred to as the staff of that forum. The word doesn't have to be interpreted in it's literal sense.

Good. I thought it necessary to clarify that. Never heard the word staff used for volunteer moderators though so I must have missed the 21st century completely.

You guys are literally defending a guy that insulted someone asking an innocent question on your forum. Whether he was able to follow the directions or not, do you want to forum to be portrayed as a place that insults those who are seeking assistance? Hardly seems like the point to have a support forum where staff .. excuse me ... "moderators" jump down someone's throat for not fully understanding a situation.

As someone who has to remind more than half of all support-seeker to read the thread that tells you "to read it before posting" and post a logfile I might not like SylenThunders words but I have full sympathy for his frustration. It takes willpower and a constant reminder to one self that the next guy posting in "general support" is just a new one without a clue making the same mistakes as all before him.

You're a support group, learn patience. Be better.

If you only had just posted this. That would have been moral superiority. 

This thread is old, and the OP's issue is resolved. Thread closed for necroposting.

If anyone takes issue with a post, regardless of who posted it, we ask that you click the ... in the upper right corner and select report. That's what it's there for. Then it is sent to all moderators to review if it complies with the rules.