Wrong terrain textures

ijese

Hi all, mac player with 1.400 hrs without unusual issues since a16 - up to now.

I haven't played for 3 months and now in new game all the terrain textures are wrong. (I tried full reinstall, steam validation and also started a new game)

Snow looks like dirt, but when I hit it it yields snow but still looks like dirt. Trees and bushes are covered with snow normally, though.

Grassland looks like dirt, when I hit it it still looks like dirt and yields clay.

Burned ground looks partially like snow, like it's mixed orange terrain with white myst, when I hit it (once is enough) white stuff is no more, similar to how voxels change how they blend into each other when mining.

Asphalt looks like dirt, when I hit it it changes to normal asphalt.

Wasteland terrain (these partial bricks and whatnot) also looks like dirt, but when hit changes to normal wasteland terrain.

Last time it worked:

3 months ago I was playing daily for several weeks, on nitrogen generated random maps, everything was normal. Then I have installed Darkness Falls, it worked okey but didn't really catch me so after couple days stopped playing until now.

Yesterday I decided to play again but to return to "vanilla" a19. Here is what I did:

- Deleted complete steam folder for 7dtd

- Let steam download latest version

- generated new nitrogen map

- crerated new game on this new nitrogen map ==> above described problem appeared

- tried new game on Navezgane ==> again same problem

- let steam validate the files, it said 100% okay

- uninstalled the game (via steam)

- found user settings (in user/Library/...) and deleted everything, just in case

- installed the game completely clean (as far as I can tell) via steam

- created new game on Navezgane

- it asked me to create new character, so done that

- started game ==> same problem

- validated files again, again it said 100% okay

- played with video settings (low, high, randomly turning off options or lowering texture quality), each time quit the game to desktop, restarted, and started new game on different map from official pre-generated ones ==> same problem

My comp is macbook air 2019, it played game normally on low-mid video settings for many many hours.

EAC is off.

Cheat menu is off.

Player.log in Library/Logs/Unity/ is zero bytes and last modified almost a year ago.

Burned ground screenshot attached.

No idea what to try next. Please help.

spacer.png

Try launching the game launcher first (go to Steam library, hit the play button, and select Show Game Launcher.  Choose tools and select Clean game data....

Then validate files through steam once again.

This is just a guess, but a good spot to try until someone with better knowledge comes along to help.

Has your graphic driver recently updated?  I am assuming that nothing else is causing issues as you play (no drops in performance, no stuttering, no crashes) and the only thing that has changed are the graphics.  Since you also mentioned not playing for 3 months so I am also assuming you have plated Alpha 19 with no issues before.

A hardware issue I would think we would see other issues (like crashing and such) which is why I am leaning towards a driver issue right now.  I am on a PC so not much experience with Macs, but if it was me, I would look at anything software related to graphics (drivers, DirectX, etc).

You also mentioned Darkness Falls, I assume this issue exists also in vanilla

Macbook has integrated graphic drivers, not sure how to check whether anything got updated. It's late here, will investigate tomorrow.

Everything worked fine 3 months ago, with a19. With both vanilla and Darkness Falls. Currently the issue is with vanilla, I wanted to play it so did (or tried to do) clean install.

Performance is horrible, which wasn't the case before, but haven't yet tried to optimize video settings because I can't really play with wrong textures.

Edit: Usually I'm playing with eGPU which is currently not the case (for whole Summer I'm relocated). Last time I successfully played 7dtd without eGPU was exactly 1 year ago, during last Summer. It was on pretty low video settings but managable.

Edited by ijese (see edit history)

Back home, i.e. trying now with same setup (with Radeon RX570 eGPU) that worked 3 months ago. Uninstalled the game via Steam, deleted 7dtd folder in steamapps/common, installed latest stable.

The problem still persists, tried with Navezgane. Here is the log I found in steamapps/common/7dtd, there are some warnings but also it mentions some shader not available:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amru7f9squiop89/output_log__2021-08-26__09-02-18.txt?dl=0

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Will investigate eGPU drivers next. And KingGen once I get the game working again.

edit: typo

Edited by ijese (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

You log shows the game using the integrated intel gpu.

And, it's using openGL 4.1 from 2010.

That was it - after reinstall, I needed to tell 7dtd to prefer eGPU (from osX info sreen you get when selecting 7dtd app and Cmd+I). Now it works very nicely on medium settings :) 

Thanks! Off to investigate KingGen..

ps.  just as info for anyone who might read this one day: openGL 4.1 is the last available version for MacOS, and can't be updated since it's integrated

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, ijese said:

That was it - after reinstall, I needed to tell 7dtd to prefer eGPU (from osX info sreen you get when selecting 7dtd app and Cmd+I). Now it works very nicely on medium settings :) 

Thanks! Off to investigate KingGen..

ps.  just as info for anyone who might read this one day: openGL 4.1 is the last available version for MacOS, and can't be updated since it's integrated

I have the same issue with terrain graphics, but im on windows PC and would like to know how i would be able to fix this.

42 minutes ago, Huzah said:

I have the same issue with terrain graphics, but im on windows PC and would like to know how i would be able to fix this.

Have you tried any of the steps listed above first?  And probably should have started a new thread since your issue might be something totally different from the OPs.

What have you done so far?  What are the specs of your computer?  You haven't provided any information really for anyone on this forum to assist you, other than making a lucky guess.