if this game is never going to get an update again, why is it $40 (cdn) on the marketplace?

Clusterfawk

There are lots of console games that will never see another update that still sell for $59.99 even years after their release. Its market driven pure and simple. When a game stops selling at a particular price point then the store drops the price to one where it seems to be selling again. It has nothing to do with whether it is a game that has planned updates or if it is a static game that will never see an update. The console world of games is full of 100s and 100s of games that are final products and never see an update. Some of those drop in price quickly and others keep their value-- all driven by sales and market forces.

1 hour ago, Clusterfawk said:

if that was true, 7 days would be selling better than GTA5?    doubt...

Don’t think it was meant to compete against GTA5.  The price is what it is.  If TFP wanted to sell it for $100, they are free to do so.

2 hours ago, Clusterfawk said:

for $45?

come on now...

I think you answered your own question. 

Honestly, if you don't want to spend the money, hold off for now.  See what happens after the PC version goes Gold and see what the TFP do with a publisher to port the finished product to the next gen console stations.

4 hours ago, Clusterfawk said:

for $45?

come on now...

If $45 is too much for you then don’t buy the game.  It’s not like it’s plastered all over this site that the game isn’t getting updates.  No one wants to hear you whine.  Buy the game or shut up…. Simple. 

In some other countries this is simply done by everyone every day, it is called haggling. No need to get personal. The only problem for Clusterfawk is that he may be talking to the wrong guys. As far as I know the prices for the console version are set by the stores independently of TFP

But lets assume he is talking to the right guys. Then you really should bring arguments why the price is right and not drive off the customer. Alternatively you could tell him that if he doesn't buy it, your 5 small children will starve or have to work in the mines.

Otherwise I might get the impression you don't know how to haggle!! 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The release of the game was long ago, they released one update, and they began to make updates to the steam versions. The price for this game is no more than $ 5. $ 40 on release day. After this time, the game is not worth that much money. There are no updates, bugs remain. Nothing new will be added, the game is dead. For fixed versions, xbox and ps.

6 hours ago, NickCallibre said:

The release of the game was long ago

yes: It's been 5 years since it was released.

they released one update

no: There were 13 patches released.

and they began to make updates to the steam versions

no: PC updates began in 2013 a full 3 years before the console version was released. TFP has consistently been working on their PC version for 8 years now. Telltale consistently worked on their console version up until they went out of business.

For fixed versions, xbox and ps.

No: You should go with PC which has completely fixed things like LBD and lootable zombie corpses and weapon parts and trunk spikes and the plains biome. ;)

10 hours ago, Roland said:

no: There were 13 patches released.

For console versions?

10 hours ago, Roland said:

no: PC updates began in 2013 a full 3 years before the console version was released. TFP has consistently been working on their PC version for 8 years now. Telltale consistently worked on their console version up until they went out of business.

Alas, I wanted to see updates for the console versions. I understand that for the console versions, updates have not been released for a long time.

I understand you, but my pc does not support the game. Thanks.

5 hours ago, NickCallibre said:

For console versions?

Alas, I wanted to see updates for the console versions. I understand that for the console versions, updates have not been released for a long time.

That is because the company that released updates went bankrupt and so there was and is nobody to develop updates anymore. Just like Atari games will not get updates again because the original Atari is no more.

This might change in a few months or years, because TFP is looking for someone to develop a console version from the finished PC-version, but nothing is definite.

22 hours ago, meganoth said:

That is because the company that released updates went bankrupt and so there was and is nobody to develop updates anymore. Just like Atari games will not get updates again because the original Atari is no more.

This might change in a few months or years, because TFP is looking for someone to develop a console version from the finished PC-version, but nothing is definite.

thank you.

• 1 month later...

It's ridiculous that the price is so high for a game that will no longer get updates BUT I understand the situation as they don't have a team to actually do updates. 

I don't believe it's the company that's keeping the price so high I'm pretty sure it's the marketplace itself and they keep it there because people still pay for it at that price point...

• 3 months later...

It does goes on sale every so often. I got it on sale back in Feb 2020, I think I paid $16.99 for it as well. Also, it was recently on sale again not too long ago, I think it was going for $7.49 USD. And even at $29.99 USD it's still worth it, imo. You will get your money's worth regardless due to all of the countless hours of fun the game provides. Sure, it's behind in updates and may not look as good as the current PC version (A20), but it's still a good game for what it offers.