Are we afraid?

Frontjunky

The topic say what i miss in the game. This lone wolf is hard, fight the hole day against a horde of the hell and is never be afraid, have never psychic problems? I miss a skill which protect me against this psychic invades of my brain. Normal i should be afraid, after got an attack of a beastly hound or get hurt by multiple Zs. This should mean that my fighting skills go to bad and i must sleep or go hide to get back to normal.

Without invest points in this skill a horde night is much more dangerous.

And pls stop the food income, no conserves, all over wild growing natures at the begin and later with farmers skill. on this way it is much more reallistic.

Edited by Frontjunky (see edit history)

From time to time I've thought about ways to incorporate your character's mental health as part of their survival in the apocalypse.  I see potential to have stats like humanity, comfort, hygiene, and happiness, that can slip from your grasp if you just spend every day running around outside, by yourself, butchering stinking corpses in your underwear.  I can think of debuffs when these stats aren't maintained too.  Like if you lose your humanity, you become 'insane' and hallucinate.

But it's less clear whether maintaining these stats would be fun for this game, or if it would merely seem like chores: maintenance tasks that are tedious to handle.  Like anything else in the game, there should be multiple pathways to overcoming your insanity.  There should be more than a skill you get to turn it off.

I envision these stats more like wellness or infection: stats you work on over the long term.  Like, being near a working electrical system, or spending time working on a farm, would help your humanity.  It's not your top priority at the start, but something to work on when you're past basic survival, and trying to thrive.  In the early game you'd likely accumulate a lot of fear/insanity, and in the late game you'd look for ways to get your groove back, curing the hallucinations to feel human again.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Crater Creator said:

From time to time I've thought about ways to incorporate your character's mental health as part of their survival in the apocalypse.  I see potential to have stats like humanity, comfort, hygiene, and happiness, that can slip from your grasp if you just spend every day running around outside, by yourself, butchering stinking corpses in your underwear.  I can think of debuffs when these stats aren't maintained too.  Like if you lose your humanity, you become 'insane' and hallucinate.

But it's less clear whether maintaining these stats would be fun for this game, or if it would merely seem like chores: maintenance tasks that are tedious to handle.  Like anything else in the game, there should be multiple pathways to overcoming your insanity.  There should be more than a skill you get to turn it off.

I envision these stats more like wellness or infection: stats you work on over the long term.  Like, being near a working electrical system, or spending time working on a farm, would help your humanity.  It's not your top priority at the start, but something to work on when you're past basic survival, and trying to thrive.  In the early game you'd likely accumulate a lot of fear/insanity, and in the late game you'd look for ways to get your groove back, curing the hallucinations to feel human again.

Well it can work but it would be a lot of work with this.  Guys who created The forest wanted to do this but it was working bad. Hallucinate visible for 1 player and invisible for another one will  be hard to implement .  Hygiene can work easly but it need rebalance like - shoes are rare so you going barefoot most of time but you can cut on glass and get infected , mining will put dirt you , kiling zombie in melee will put blood on you co so need to wash out etc more dirty= more chance to get infected

Some of the overhaul mods had or have features like this.  For example where you need to wash your hands after mining or bad things will happen. Or after a meal you have to go to the toilet and then wash your hands (that was in exitus_extreme, an otherwise great mod that sadly seems to have been discontinued)

Result of the first example was that we wasted an inventory slot for soap and always needed to do 3 clicks more after mining. Fun? Not really. Is brushing your teeth in reality (or in game) something you consider beeing fun?

Result in the latter case was that we put a toilet beside the food box and soap into the food box. Again making eating a bit of a chore of more clicks. The only upside was sometimes if you had to eat while away from base you needed to find toilets.

Naturally this is just my personal view, people who are more into pure survival games like Valheim might disagree with that assessment

7 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Some of the overhaul mods had or have features like this.  For example where you need to wash your hands after mining or bad things will happen. Or after a meal you have to go to the toilet and then wash your hands (that was in exitus_extreme, an otherwise great mod that sadly seems to have been discontinued)

Result of the first example was that we wasted an inventory slot for soap and always needed to do 3 clicks more after mining. Fun? Not really. Is brushing your teeth in reality (or in game) something you consider beeing fun?

Result in the latter case was that we put a toilet beside the food box and soap into the food box. Again making eating a bit of a chore of more clicks. The only upside was sometimes if you had to eat while away from base you needed to find toilets.

Naturally this is just my personal view, people who are more into pure survival games like Valheim might disagree with that assessment

Well it can be ballanced right?  well you need to wash you hands only before eating - small change but can work. and put 3 types of clean like - clean ,  a little bit dirty and dirty.  Dirty can be  changed  into a little bit just going into water to be clean you need soap. A little bit dirty hands  can have smaller chance to add you ill status that dirty. If you have mud on feet you can put shoes on and first you need clean it out ( well add something like - barefoot is quiet , shoes are loud and terrbile for being sneaky.), you can put shoes on dirty but you will have bigger chance to get infection etc

4 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well it can be ballanced right?  well you need to wash you hands only before eating - small change but can work. and put 3 types of clean like - clean ,  a little bit dirty and dirty.  Dirty can be  changed  into a little bit just going into water to be clean you need soap. A little bit dirty hands  can have smaller chance to add you ill status that dirty. If you have mud on feet you can put shoes on and first you need clean it out ( well add something like - barefoot is quiet , shoes are loud and terrbile for being sneaky.), you can put shoes on dirty but you will have bigger chance to get infection etc

It is not really easy to get the **fun** into stuff like this.

For example 3 types of clean often means I will take the one I can do with smallest effort and still have no serious disadvantage and ignore the other 2. Sure, with lots of balancing you might reach a state where you had to make a difficult decision whether to clean your hand or not, but it is still just a chore to do whatever is necessary for cleaning your hands

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

It is not really easy to get the **fun** into stuff like this.

For example 3 types of clean often means I will take the one I can do with smallest effort and still have no serious disadvantage and ignore the other 2. Sure, with lots of balancing you might reach a state where you had to make a difficult decision whether to clean your hand or not, but it is still just a chore to do whatever is necessary for cleaning your hands

Well i mean - 3 types of clean per : head , hands , feets and torso -  i will try to estimate max dirt is 100% so - 30% is torso , 25% are feet , 25% hands 20% head . And now first - each 10% gives you 5% chance to get infected on getting dmg by zombie , traps etc . When you have a little bit dirty head it is not problem- but heavy dirty  can make  dirty stains on your view , dirty torso- a little bit is not problem but more dirty clothes will can add you debuff   "smell as @%$#" - 20% higer prices on trader - very dirty hands you have 50% to get ill , dirty feet - you can wear't shoes on them ( well zombie hear better so you need go barefoot or craft moccasins with letter ) . And for example rain or water can wash blood ( kiling zombie in melee will put blood at you so you will get more attention so highter chance to be detected ) and light dirt - but heavy dirt must be washed by soap. 

Clean - 0%

little bit dirty - half of value like torso  have 15%

dirty - max value of dirty - torso 30%

It well "forced" to think - okay first i must do soap then eat. So first i will go to mine  and start eaten when i will have 10% .  

I want to loot this house but i must do it quiet- take off shoes . Go inside and elimate them . nothing change but if you put feet on glass you will start bleeding. 

Blood on melee will make spear more usefull itd

25 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

I've always loved Eternal Darkness way back in the day for sanity stuff, a shame other games (or I haven't seen any) haven't done things on that level.

Granted, once you've seen an effect once or twice or so it just becomes annoying.

Well this is logical - a lot of problem with good working, balance , scripts , that way the didn't develop this in the forest . This is same problem with realitic fire , dirt and destroying map . So it good they decide to give up with this