Dumb question

Maharin

Ignore post... I misunderstood the question.

Also, stop hating me for it, lol.

That's an easy one to answer. As long as the money keeps flowing, devs will always release more content to prolong and encourage the flow even more. Doesn't matter what game it is, if they care about their game and of course money, then they'll always do whatever they can to prolong it.

I imagine we'll be seeing at least 5 more UI overhauls before they finally get bored of it.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure TFP did state that the earlier versions would always be available to those that supported EA. For those who purchase the game after release, I'm not sure.

I expect the answer would be yes, which is why I called it a dumb question.  :p

If Steam Workshop support ever happens and it also supports old versions then... wow, I could see a whole lot free content out there in no time.

9 hours ago, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

This is basicly a steam feature to instal older and beta/unstable versions. Check out your steam launcher options.

4 hours ago, Canute said:

This is basicly a steam feature to instal older and beta/unstable versions. Check out your steam launcher options.

I have used this feature many times, but thank you.   I was asking if they were going to stick around after release.

I can't imagine they'd remove a feature like that, that requires zero support from them to maintain. And if they do, there's always a workaround to find old depositories on Steam.

But their goal of going "Gold" is that you'd want to play that and nothing else for the complete feature set, and it will be finished/stable so modders use that as a base for everything going forward.

4 hours ago, Lemmers said:

I can't imagine they'd remove a feature like that, that requires zero support from them to maintain. And if they do, there's always a workaround to find old depositories on Steam.

But their goal of going "Gold" is that you'd want to play that and nothing else for the complete feature set, and it will be finished/stable so modders use that as a base for everything going forward.

Steam probably charges them for each version that is available for the tool. Just like they charge extra for various levels of cloud storage.

32 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Terraria's done updating pretty much, might want to pick a more relevant example. 😛

Yeah, totally meant to say Factorio, not Terraria.  Sorry about that.

EDIT: But, seriously, Terraria and Factorio have both been released and updated several times since.  So... :p

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

EDIT: But, seriously, Terraria and Factorio have both been released and updated several times since.  So... :p

Well it depends about they "owner" decide : if they decide to be independed alpha will be avalible if they decide to issue shares on market then well it depends who will buy it

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, Maharin said:

Will the alpha releases still be available after gold?  Games like Terraria Factorio do this on Steam, is that the plan for 7DTD?

EDIT: Sorry, just realized I wrote Terraria when I meant Factorio.  Sorry for the confusion folks!

the only dumb question in existence is pondering whether or not to put pineapple on your pizza because the answer is ALWAYS yes :)

On 5/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Maharin said:

This was due to the fact that Terraria was cancelled a couple of times. 😛