NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

PogPlayer

Go into the game launcher and select the tools tab and then choose clean and check every box to completely clean out your registry and all old files that may belong to a different version. 

You can open the game launcher when you first launch the game. It gives you an option to view the launcher or play the game. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Go into the game launcher and select the tools tab and then choose clean and check every box to completely clean out your registry and all old files that may belong to a different version. 

You can open the game launcher when you first launch the game. It gives you an option to view the launcher or play the game. 

i am not a modder

I merged the two threads.

@PogPlayer our advice has nothing to do with whether you are a modder or not. If you have ever played a different version than 12.4 then remnants of those other versions can be left behind. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game won’t help. You have to completely clean out the files in your appdata 7 Days registry and the clean tool is the easiest way to do that. 

10 hours ago, PogPlayer said:

Hello i went to go play alpha 12 and im having the error in the title. i have validated my files and it still doesn't work. is their a fix?

Thanks for posting a log, they're always helpful.

Your log file shows you starting A19 and that the last version played was A18.

You can' mix versions; you have to delete or remove all data and worlds from one version before using another.

If you have worlds from different versions that you want to keep, you need to back them up first.

For newer Alphas they are in your appdata/roaming/7daystodie folder

For older versions like A12/A13 the save folder was your windows documents folder.

You can use the clean tool as @Rolandhas suggested to clean your data.

From Steam Library click "Play"
Select "Show Game Launcher" from the popup.
Click "Play"
From the game launcher select the "Tools" tab.
From the Tools tab select "Clean game data..."
Check all the boxes and select "All Maps" under Discovered map of remote games.
Click "Clean"

I don't know if the clean tool was around in the old alphas, but if not, you can manually delete the save data from the folders I've indicated.

Good luck.

• 11 months later...

1 hour ago, Nenmathor said:

I'm having the same problem but the cleaning tool has not helped, any other possible fixes?

Please start a new thread, explain your problem and the steps you did in detail and post your logfile. How to post a logfile is explained here:

Archived