Back To The Wasteland

Jumper

So I created a dedicated server called "Back To The Wasteland" to try out The Wasteland mod, and some alternate vehicles as well, I can play on it and see it in the list and friends can join and play when I'm logged in, but unless I am actually logged into this server, no one else can see it even though I have it launched and up and running, can someone tell me what to do to make it totally joinable weather I'm logged into it myself or not?

It's running on the same machine I play on but it's running on the dedicated server app on Steam and then I log on by launching the 7dtd game and play from there....so you're saying I need to be running it on a separate rig then play through my PC? But can you run the same Steam account on 2 PC's at the same time? I've never tried 😕

And if not, I'd have to create another Steam account and buy 7DTD again? I'm new to this so I'm not totally clear on how it all works 😕

Edited by Jumper (see edit history)

It doesn't matter whether you launch the game from Steam CMD or from your library. You are running the game on the same machine that you are playing on which makes you the host and when you stop playing and exit the game on your end not only does your server disappear from the list but everyone who is currently on gets kicked. You do not have to purchase an additional copy of the game to run the dedicated server version of the game-- (AFAIK I don't think you have to even purchase the game in the first place to set up and run a server.)

At any rate, you leave the world running on that other machine so that when YOU are done playing it persists for anyone else who wants to play. In this case the machine you are playing on is simply another client to your other machine who is hosting instead of you doing double duty as host and client. So yes, you do need to run it on a separate rig for it to be a dedicated server but no you do not have to purchase another copy.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Roland said:

It doesn't matter whether you launch the game from Steam CMD or from your library. You are running the game on the same machine that you are playing on which makes you the host and when you stop playing and exit the game on your end not only does your server disappear from the list but everyone who is currently on gets kicked. You do not have to purchase an additional copy of the game to run the dedicated server version of the game-- (AFAIK I don't think you have to even purchase the game in the first place to set up and run a server.)

At any rate, you leave the world running on that other machine so that when YOU are done playing it persists for anyone else who wants to play. In this case the machine you are playing on is simply another client to your other machine who is hosting instead of you doing double duty as host and client. So yes, you do need to run it on a separate rig for it to be a dedicated server but no you do not have to purchase another copy.

I don't know.. It should be possible to start the server in a different user account (to clarify: a windows user account, not steam account), this would effectively seperate server and client.

My guess is that when Jumper started the client, steam saw an already running game and did use that instead of starting another.

But hey, I could be wrong, never tried that setup myself

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

You can run the dedicated server and play a client at the same time, on the same machine.

The dedi server runs all the time, independent of whether the client is running or not.

@Jumper

You probably have a port forwarding problem, or a firewall problem.

Did you open the server ports in your router?

Post your port settings and maybe someone here can figure out your problem.

Also, you don't need another account or license to run the dedicated server, it is free.

OK, So I have now set up a server on a separate rig, everyone in the house can access it just fine, and friends at their homes can see it and even select and start the download, however they crash or get booted before the download completes...can someone suggest a reason for this...whenever they've tried, I've gotten yellow lines in the code and I haven't a clue what most of this means, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated  😕

Server Lines.PNG

Edited by Jumper (see edit history)

I agree with Beelzybub, if people on your home network can join but others cannot then there must be a port issue or the wrong ip listed in config. For a server to work, you must use your public ip address not your home network ip address. Also check the server faqs to be sure you have all the appropriate ports are opened/forwarded.

EDIT: An aside, if this server is only for friends, you can disable EAC to get a small boost in server performance but if it will be a public server, leave EAC enabled. Just my 2 cents as server owner.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, Star69 said:

I agree with Beelzybub, if people on your home network can join but others cannot then there must be a port issue or the wrong ip listed in config. For a server to work, you must use your public ip address not your home network ip address. Also check the server faqs to be sure you have all the appropriate ports are opened/forwarded.

EDIT: An aside, if this server is only for friends, you can disable EAC to get a small boost in server performance but if it will be a public server, leave EAC enabled. Just my 2 cents as server owner.

Thank you...The thought of using Public rather than Private networking NEVER even occurred to me :(