Auto repair system

WolfActive

The devs should add an item that you can get like a generator that you can put down and hook up to block and if you put the Material that that block needs to repair inside the Machine then every time the block get below a certain durability or every so often the Machine should automatically repair the block I think this is a very good idea that the devs could add and it could open up a world of opportunity

This would just make me want to have a machine for every block, which would not only be ridiculous, but also taxing on the performance. 

Once we have a drone, it might be a better idea to upgrade the drone to some level that allows it to do repairs to any damaged blocks that it has materials for within some radius of the player. Load up the drone, set it to repair mode, and let it go.
It should not be OP by any means. The carry capacity should be minimal, and the speed of the repairs slower than that of a player. This way, it could be used as an extra safeguard during hordes, but nothing you could really rely on.

The whole point of the need to repair blocks isn't just a resource sink but more importantly it is a time sink. As every second that you spend repairing blocks your not doing something else that may be more important. For example on horde night being forced to pick between killing zombies or repairs to your base and having to choose which one is more important. Which is made worse when you consider that zombies are programed to zero in on damaged blocks especially when breaking them is the shortest path to you. It becomes clear that the devs fully intent that the need to keep your base repaired to be a major part of the game and your idea trivializes it.

In other words its not going to happen as its already been confirmed that no form of automation will ever be in the game.

4 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

This would just make me want to have a machine for every block, which would not only be ridiculous, but also taxing on the performance. 

Once we have a drone, it might be a better idea to upgrade the drone to some level that allows it to do repairs to any damaged blocks that it has materials for within some radius of the player. Load up the drone, set it to repair mode, and let it go.
It should not be OP by any means. The carry capacity should be minimal, and the speed of the repairs slower than that of a player. This way, it could be used as an extra safeguard during hordes, but nothing you could really rely on.

Plus the drone will only be able to operate with in a set range of the player so you have to be near it for it to work.

I don't know. I play solo, always higher than default difficulty, always with max zombies, and always with more horde nights.
Late game, say day 200+, the time and materials you invest in repairs for the base at that point is miniscule in comparison to the effort towards keeping your ammo and repair kits supply up.
If anything, I complain more about having to repair blocks that I can't reach easily. The drone could help with that.

I agree the drone repairs implement would be a good idea although it takes away its ability to fight or heal there could be another flight device or something just something to help with repairs cause if you have a big bace with main points that get overwhelmed you need something to help with that

On 11/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, AtomicUs5000 said:

That would be an awesome idea.  I hate having to go block by block checking what got damaged after horde night.  Sure, the ones that took a lot of damage are obvious, but the blocks that only took 20 or 30 damage don't (as far as I can tell) look any different, and it would be nice to have something to repair those (yes, I like every block to be at 100% health, even if it's not necessarily the most efficient use of resources.) 

Archived