New Ladders?

twilit.tera

Hi, y'all. I just had a great idea for a new tool/furniture option: multipurpose ladders

Louisville step ladder Step Ladder: 1x2 blocks. Used for giving yourself a bit more height to reach high dufflebags and hidden loot boxes.
Standard A Frame - 8 ft. - Step Ladders - Ladders - The Home Depot A-Frame Ladder: 2x4 blocks. Used for access to second story windows, the roofs of small buildings, etc.
Articulated ladder Painter's Ladder: Size depends on shape selected. This ladder has context options on the use button to change its shape and can be used to cross gaps in scaffolding, stairs, used as a step ladder, or an A-Frame ladder.

These ladders can be picked up when no longer needed and carried in the inventory when you go on raids or trader jobs.

Some background into why I thought of this:
I love the dungeony POIs and follow the path indicated by the light sources as much as possible. My friend with ADHD doesn't think that way and often uses wood frames for access to things she doesn't see an immediate path to. I know she'd really dig having an object she could carry instead of crafting those blocks each time and I'd appreciate less clutter in POIs since the ladder would be returned to the backpack after use, unlike the frames she leaves scattered about. 😛😄 I'd use it mainly for reaching high boxes in warehouses.

18 hours ago, Diragor said:

just carry wood with you and build some wood frames or ladders and place them xD why would anyone carry a ladder around

I dunno - why would anybody carry several cords of wood around? LOL

I thought I explained my purpose pretty well in the original post. Including admitting that for pure practicality the "build frames" method worked, I just would rather do something different.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, renejant said:

sounds like a good idea!

Thanks, renejant!

On 9/17/2020 at 4:35 AM, twilit.tera said:

I dunno - why would anybody carry several cords of wood around? LOL

I thought I explained my purpose pretty well in the original post. Including admitting that for pure practicality the "build frames" method worked, I just would rather do something different.

Well 1 stack of wood seems better to me instead of carrying 3 ladder types with me. I get the idea and sure they could add it for a few player. I wouldn't use it^^

On 9/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, Diragor said:

Well 1 stack of wood seems better to me instead of carrying 3 ladder types with me. I get the idea and sure they could add it for a few player. I wouldn't use it^^

You wouldn't need all three ladders. They're a bit like the progressive tools - nobody carries a wrench, a ratchet, AND an impact driver, now do they?

I could see the “shortest” ladder being crafted from wood/iron, then as you go up you’d need steel, etc to gate it.  Or Maybe you can find the shortest ladder, and just have to craft the other 2.  Make the “tallest” late gamey.  

the most important part will obviously being the careful crafting and applying of the safety stickers :), rubber feet, etc.

I like the idea.  I always carry about 10 frames with me as an “oh crap” blockade or quick ladder, and I chide  myself later for doing it as it’s cheesy. I’d rather carry a ladder and just be able to get on top of it, and also “removing” the ladder would be easier and cleaner.  You can’t stop frame placing in multiplayer games but it’s a bit of an eyesore to see all the places people nerd poled up or over walls. Maybe a ladder option would clean things up a little. 

and maybe....
“random break of ladder” mechanic? Both of carried and existing wood ladders ? Yes? Yes!  Just like guppycurs “stairway to hell” mod

Archived