Game crash every time

Coltifus

Ok lets see if we can figure it out this time.  This has been happening since Alpha 18 launch and I gave up because I couldn't fix it.  Alpha 19 experimental is doing the same thing but this is one of my favorite games on Steam.  Anytime I try to play 7DTD after a couple of minutes my pc locks up completely.  It's a complete freeze that I have to manually power down and back on.  It happens every time and it ONLY happens on 7DTD.  I've tried different things from driver updates/rollbacks, forcing directx 10, and complete fresh installs of game and windows.  Same thing happens every time.  There is no error log anywhere to be found.  My temps never get above 80C.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://pastebin.com/NStGXcTL  <----output log.

33 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

There's nothing much about a crash in your output log. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die\Crashes

Check that folder please. You'll get a crash report generated by Unity.

That's the thing, there is no crash log therefore that folder doesn't exist.  The output log is the only thing I have to go off of and I can't figure out what is causing it.

So, I hate to say but that's something with your system, os, drivers or windows itself. If the game itself crashed, it would tell you in the log; in a worst case, the Unity crash handler would kick in after the game crashes and will generate a crash log with memory dumps and whatnot.

Update your drivers via manufacturer websites, run a memtest, run a stress test on your system, check windows event viewer, clean dust, etc. Swap your ram in slots. 80c although acceptable for a lot of cpus, is still rather warm. Ya know, classic troubleshooting :)

post note: You may want to check your power supply. Those tend to be point of failures. 

I've done all that already.  It literally only happens with this game lol.  My system is running perfectly fine on every stress test or benchmark i've ever done.  Event viewer also has no error other than the kernal power error from the improper shut down.  That 80c is my GPU not CPU, CPU is liquid cooled and never gets over like 55c.  This PSU has been changed since this first started happening also, like i said this has been happening since alpha 18 launch and I gave up the first time.  I would really love to continue playing this game but I don't want to have to play it on my 5 year old laptop.

There has to be something in event viewer or reliability or perfmon. Idk if you're good at administration but sometimes you have to configure these tools to get the info on things. This guide is nice, didn't want to type it out. I got an old HP laptop that never crashes in 7 Days unless  I do something extraordinarily rough during bug-testing that I know will break a lot of things and I run out of ram (but it's never ever frozen or crashed my machine).

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/windows-10-crash-log.html

If your computer crashed, there's something wrong and there's a log or indication. Do note that 99.9% of your other games are GPU intensive and not so much on CPU. Hell 7 Days also utilizes your storage drive a lot too, that could also be a factor.

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.687 ERR Invalid magic bytes in world header

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.687 WRN Failed loading world header file: C:\Users\Colt\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\PREGEN01\My Game/main.ttw

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.689 INF Trying backup header: C:\Users\Colt\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\PREGEN01\My Game/main.ttw.bak

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.692 ERR Invalid magic bytes in world header

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.693 ERR Failed loading backup header file!

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.694 WRN Error reading header of level 'C:\Users\Colt\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\PREGEN01\My Game/main.ttw'. Ignoring. Msg: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Those are concerning as well. Have you tested your drive? Not sure if those errors are normal or not, I haven't noticed them lately.

Couple semi random thoughts;

Have you tried disabling/uninstalling all overclocking bits? Some motherboard untility sw apps default to overclocking...

-- just kinda sounds like either the CPU, GPU or RAM is locking up, any of those getting oc'd can have that happen

Any chance to borrow a different GPU card? Would be useful either way. Either same exact thing happens, so your GPU isn't to blame, or something different happens, so your GPU may be part of issue.

Anyway, good luck, hope you can figure things out.

Also I'd like to add a test for you for science: Turn every graphical option to the lowest setting (textures to eight, all of that), turn your resolution all the way down to min, then load and see if it doesn't crash. Just for a test. Also, post your dxdiag?

The only OC tool i have is MSI afterburner and that's just used as a monitor.  The only type of OCing I have is turning performance mode on in the bios, i've never changed any of the clock speeds or voltages.  I just tried running the game on lowest of all settings and resolution which was like 480, same thing happens.

https://pastebin.com/W0fFq036  <---Dxdiag

These two pictures were taken from from phone when the game locks up my pc.  Not a very big difference on PC usage between high and low settings.  And again nothing in reliability history either.  There's a critical error that just says improper shutdown.

Low settings.jpg

High settings.jpg

Give me a little bit I'll look through your dxdiag. I am highly concerned with the amount of ram you're using while you're on the lowest settings. That should be about 4GB not over 10. Please retest at lowest settings, however, taskkill ALL background programs. Everything that's not vital to keep Windows running. You should be roughly between 1GB to 2 GB on the high end after doing so. This includes any manufacturer programs, etc. Go into your Windows settings, go to privacy, background apps. Uncheck ALL of them. Disable Windows Game Mode / DVR and all of that, switch them all to off. Then redo that test. 

RivaTuner shows total ram in use. (OS, Game, Discord, Browser, etc.)

I think all of these errors;

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.687 ERR Invalid magic bytes in world header

2020-06-30T19:43:09 13.687 WRN Failed loading world header file: C:\Users\Colt\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\PREGEN01\My Game/main.ttw

come from trying to load a corrupted or incompatible save.

Did you delete or move all of your old worlds before trying A19?

Try making a new Random World Gen 4k world after deleting all your old worlds and see what happens.

Use a game name and a seed name, (don't leave it blank) that you have never used before.

Post a new output log from the newly created world.

It's a long shot, but maybe you're using an nvme drive that is overheating? I think Afterburner can monitor that as well.

Yea I know rivatuner shows total ram, 7 days uses roughly 4ish GBs.  As far as the world, this is a fresh install with no save data and no mods.  I installed it yesterday, even had to create my custom character again.  With those errors I would just think it would crash the game maybe but not lock up entire pc.  I am using a 1tb nvme ssd but it’s running fine.  I deleted the game from steam entirely and installed it to a backup external and ran it from there, same thing happens.  After just a couple minutes the pc locks completely.  I don’t really know what else to do other than just uninstall and give up on it, again.

3 hours ago, Coltifus said:

Yea I know rivatuner shows total ram, 7 days uses roughly 4ish GBs.  As far as the world, this is a fresh install with no save data and no mods.  I installed it yesterday, even had to create my custom character again.  With those errors I would just think it would crash the game maybe but not lock up entire pc.  I am using a 1tb nvme ssd but it’s running fine.  I deleted the game from steam entirely and installed it to a backup external and ran it from there, same thing happens.  After just a couple minutes the pc locks completely.  I don’t really know what else to do other than just uninstall and give up on it, again.

Please do what I mentioned and kill all background processes and try again.

You see all of those problem signatures at the end? Major speculation here, but I'm sure ALL of those games aren't running at once. However, that might just be leading to a memory issue. I doubt ALL of those games are having memory leaking issues, so perhaps one of your ram sticks is bad. Try removing one ram stick and try playing again. If crash, try the other stick. 

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

so perhaps one of your ram sticks is bad. Try removing one ram stick and try playing again. If crash, try the other stick. 

memtest is usually faster and easier and far more reliable in results. That's my opinion anyways.

I do agree with killing all background processes from running while playing the game.

6 minutes ago, Fox said:

memtest is usually faster and easier and far more reliable in results. That's my opinion anyways.

I do agree with killing all background processes from running while playing the game.

Yeah that's rather fair. It depends on the speed sometimes but tis true.

8 hours ago, dowz0r said:

I have the same exact issue. I can play for about an hour or 1.5 hours and my pc will lock up. 

Maybe the same issue but maybe not the same cause. I hope you posted your problem in a new thread and posted relevant information, espeically the logfile.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:14 AM, Coltifus said:

Ok lets see if we can figure it out this time.  This has been happening since Alpha 18 launch and I gave up because I couldn't fix it.  Alpha 19 experimental is doing the same thing but this is one of my favorite games on Steam.  Anytime I try to play 7DTD after a couple of minutes my pc locks up completely.  It's a complete freeze that I have to manually power down and back on.  It happens every time and it ONLY happens on 7DTD.  I've tried different things from driver updates/rollbacks, forcing directx 10, and complete fresh installs of game and windows.  Same thing happens every time.  There is no error log anywhere to be found.  My temps never get above 80C.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://pastebin.com/NStGXcTL  <----output log.

Random observations:

In the logfile the exe is called with "-force-feature-level-10-0". Is there a reason for that? Could be a remnant parameter once set in the launcher.

The errors reading the world header should not happen with a new world. Could it be that an anti-virus program is interfering?

So I did a memory test and everything was normal.  I deleted everything 7days related off my computer and reinstalled it, started a new pregen game.  Killed off all processes and it was using roughly 4 gigs of ram.  Same thing happens.  I'm over it now though i uninstalled, just gonna wait for Dead Matter.  Thanks for the help though.

50 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Maybe the same issue but maybe not the same cause. I hope you posted your problem in a new thread and posted relevant information, espeically the logfile.

Random observations:

In the logfile the exe is called with "-force-feature-level-10-0". Is there a reason for that? Could be a remnant parameter once set in the launcher.

The errors reading the world header should not happen with a new world. Could it be that an anti-virus program is interfering?

That was me forcing directx 10, I read something about it and gave it a try.  Didn't work though.

Archived