Prostheses - loss of player limbs

Bubbahotetp

Hi,

would be cool if there was a chance (10%?) for a player to lose a limb on death, or part of a limb, hand/arm, foot/leg and would have to craft a junk prosthesis to get it back or maybe trader Jen has some parts for it. Until then the player would have to suffer the effect of needing a crutch or only having one hand in combat limiting them to one handed weapons or slow travel speed. A little extra incentive to stay alive and healthy.

Your body having replacement limbs could also have the side-effect that the limbs take mechanical damage but that they negate some of the physical damage. So it balances out, new players to the game might have a temporary problem with not being fully able to move or fight, but would in the future also be more damage resistant by some small amount.

I'm not expecting this, just saying it would be cool.

Btw I greatly appreciate the dev streams, thanks pimps! Great work with the game as well! Looking forward to the X.

3 hours ago, iejen said:

I don't think this is in line with the realism the game is after in case of a zombie apocalypse. 

Drones, helicopters, auto-turrets, hello? Prostheses sound like a lot of work though, so I'd rather if that work was focused on something more essential.

2 hours ago, Bubbahotetp said:

I would like it if they stopped doing everything essential they are doing right now and just did the prosthesis thing for a20.

;)

I still like it the same, it would add a little incentive to stay alive and a little character to the game.

I never said they are doing essential things now 😛 (well, maybe the injury system). 

On 6/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, RestInPieces said:

Drones, helicopters, auto-turrets, hello? Prostheses sound like a lot of work though, so I'd rather if that work was focused on something more essential.

Those are all technical modifications and not medical. You don't just replace a leg with a piece of iron and it functions. 

1 hour ago, iejen said:

Those are all technical modifications and not medical. You don't just replace a leg with a piece of iron and it functions. 

I don't think the OP is talking about cyborgs or anything. Mechanical prosthetics are not exactly sci-fi.

Deployable auto turrets with 360` motion censors and drones that follow you and only attack enemies are more of a stretch.

While i could suspend disbelief enough to deal with you being able to craft a prosthesis, there is no way i could deal with you being able to perform the surgery on yourself necessary to attach it.

Especially an arm or hand, which would mean you are doing said surgery one handed.

18 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Have a laptop, a gun, and some RC car parts? 

No thanks, it will probably end up with me needing prosthetics...

19 minutes ago, katarynna said:

While i could suspend disbelief enough to deal with you being able to craft a prosthesis, there is no way i could deal with you being able to perform the surgery on yourself necessary to attach it.

Especially an arm or hand, which would mean you are doing said surgery one handed.

Are you kidding, our character would make MacGyver blush.

In all seriousness though mechanical arms were used since half millennia ago and didn't exactly need conventional surgery.

I on occasion have been known to do Army of Darkness style game.  I give myself a chainsaw and a shotgun and use nothing else.  I just have to pretend the chainsaw is a prosthetic.  Fun as all get out for a while but once the game stage gets up there things get complicated lol.

What @iejen is trying to say has propably nothing to do with what is possible but the fact that the stump shrinks over time and you need to adjust a prothesis, need constant medical monitoring for a while after the amputation, can´t use the prothesis for a few weeks after the amputation and so on and so on.

@katarynna A prothesis doesn´t get attached by surgery.  It´s not even attached by a doctor. You don´t wear it all the time and can actually just put it off and on whenever you like on your own. Wich you should as you need to clean your stump.

Source: My father lost a leg.

Archived