More or Less Grindy

AtomicUs5000

More or Less Grindy  

53 members have voted

1. 1. More or Less Grindy

• More grindy with age
    • Less grindy with age
    • It's been the same old grind

I would say that the grind is currently appropriate if you are playing with multiple people, all having them spec in different things, forming a community. One person could be in charge of the gardening, one in charge of the heavy crafting, one in charge of mining materials, etc... and all spec in the attribute of their choice and do well.

However, if you are playing the game single player, and need one person who can 'do-it-all', then I would recommend modding the progression.xml to give 2-4 skill points per level, in addition to turning up the exp multiplier. Even then, it might not be enough.

Alpha18 don't give all positive by leveling. We can earn EXP effectively by just constructing/mining, but we always need something different with them. Otherwise, we'll get irradiated without descent firearms/ammo/base. This balancing is far better than A17 IMO.

I never feel rushed to earn EXP in A18, EXP is just bonus attached to looting/mining/building.

Same here. I will note though I learned pretty early that the higher the level the higher the gs. With that said, I never went out of my way just to level and I am happy with the pacing thus far. (Day 43, 60 min, adventurer diff., 12 max alive horde, SP)

Edit: I actually started with 8 max alive hordes but upped it to 12 so far for more challenge.

Feels way less grindy these days and for the better imo. With the trader selling all kindsa gear and resources I'm mining way less than I used to. After 1000s of game time, mining is a real chore for me. So I buy up all the ammo and building mats, it's not enough to build a giant castle but I convert pois for a base and mainly use melee.

Building earns a ton of xp so it's not just a zombie grind fest. Maybe next play through I play nomad no base, no need to grind mats. Different ways to play the game = less grind.

Feels way less grindy these days and for the better imo. With the trader selling all kindsa gear and resources I'm mining way less than I used to. After 1000s of game time, mining is a real chore for me. So I buy up all the ammo and building mats, it's not enough to build a giant castle but I convert pois for a base and mainly use melee.

Building earns a ton of xp so it's not just a zombie grind fest. Maybe next play through I play nomad no base, no need to grind mats. Different ways to play the game = less grind.

Excellent point, I think I bought alot of cobblestones (relatively cheap) in the early game to save myself time mining since I'm not specced heavily into mining.

I'm going to try that as well. I usually play nomad, but I mean with no base. BM in the streets too. The base has always been the number one focus for me in every game since I started playing, so this should be fun. I will miss having a coffee farm though, and I would probably need it more than ever. One thing I do normally is I place little stations throughout the world with supplies. Maybe I could extend that concept to include mini-farms of coffee.... say one every 500 meters. I feel like I need some kind of end goal now though, otherwise it's just wandering around on the map 24/7. I'll have to think about that.

All someone has to do is look at the XP spreadsheet for A18 and witness how much XP you need to level up.

It's 10 times more grindy than ever. After lvl 20, the XP you need is exponential.

So yes, it is now much more of a grind than ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol......

Looking at the Poll results, I see not many of you have seen the XP spreadsheet. I saw it on Discord.

The XP requirements needed to level are very much higher than any previous version. The answer to this question is extremely easy. It's definitely more grindy with age, and the XP requirements in A18 illustrate this.

All someone has to do is look at the XP spreadsheet for A18 and witness how much XP you need to level up.

It's 10 times more grindy than ever. After lvl 20, the XP you need is exponential.

So yes, it is now much more of a grind than ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol......

Looking at the Poll results, I see not many of you have seen the XP spreadsheet. I saw it on Discord.

The XP requirements needed to level are very much higher than any previous version. The answer to this question is extremely easy. It's definitely more grindy with age, and the XP requirements in A18 illustrate this.

Grind is about more than raw numbers. It's about how much you need rather than how high the number goes. And frankly, in A18, you don't need a whole lot of levels to reach the endgame. A18 is much more dependent on equipment over levels. You can easily get by with level 40 or 50 if you spec right and don't take a lot of useless perks, while level 70 is plenty good and readily attainable. So I don't buy the argument of 'it's grindier because spreadsheet' because that's not a practical expression of the grind, that's how much you need to completely maximize everything.

It's 100% grind.

It always has been.

The difference though?

Now, the grind feels half pointless.

It used to feel rewarding. Like, I'd have to grind, but my overall status improved, I felt I was accomplishing something.

Now? The feeling of reward or improvement? It happens at about the same pace as continental ♥♥♥♥ing drift.

Between that and overall design choices, I uninstalled about a 4-6 weeks ago I think? I haunt the discord due to enjoying the community, and seeing if they'll hopefully reverse course, but I gave up that hope as I've started seeing more items become loot gated.

I used to feel that the grind was a certain way in earlier alphas, and over time that grind has just shifted to other things. I don't feel that it's gotten more or less so, just that the focus changed.

Large POI's feel grindy after a while, partially because im not a 'run in all guns blazing' kinda guy. If you do them back to back for a while, I usually have to take a break from that, or start searching for a reason why I think I've championed that particular map.

I'm so glad though, that I'm not chopping up bodies and making epic repairs every time a horde comes around. The upside to current pathing is that the damage is way more predictable and thus easier to see where I need to do base upkeep. Before that AI was implemented, big bases like the ones I used to build could suffer damage that I'd not even see until I stumbled across it. Zeds would just facetank my bases from all angles and sometimes I'd not see everything right away.

Archived