Let us see, quickly, whether a schematic is needed or not.

Limdood

With the (frankly awesome) ability to pick up the ability to craft almost all of the different items from the various skills through found schematics, I've noticed that it's really easy to "not know" if you need a given schematic or not.

I'd really love if you could quickly tell, by looking at a given schematic/recipe, if you "don't know" it, "already know it" or "know it due to a perk."

Money seems harder to get in vast amounts, so I look for things I can sell when I can. duplicate or unnecessary schematics are a prime candidate, but if I find a schematic I'm not sure if I know, i need to exit out and check through my crafting menu (which is also a bit unintuitive trying to figure out what you know and what you don't) before going back in and looting or learning it. Using a duplicate schematic, especially in a multiplayer game, where you're not just accidentally not being efficient, but you're accidentally avoiding a nice boost for your teammates really sucks, and a simple checkbox of "known," "unknown," or "perked" would be super helpful.

With the (frankly awesome) ability to pick up the ability to craft almost all of the different items from the various skills through found schematics, I've noticed that it's really easy to "not know" if you need a given schematic or not.

I'd really love if you could quickly tell, by looking at a given schematic/recipe, if you "don't know" it, "already know it" or "know it due to a perk."

Money seems harder to get in vast amounts, so I look for things I can sell when I can. duplicate or unnecessary schematics are a prime candidate, but if I find a schematic I'm not sure if I know, i need to exit out and check through my crafting menu (which is also a bit unintuitive trying to figure out what you know and what you don't) before going back in and looting or learning it. Using a duplicate schematic, especially in a multiplayer game, where you're not just accidentally not being efficient, but you're accidentally avoiding a nice boost for your teammates really sucks, and a simple checkbox of "known," "unknown," or "perked" would be super helpful.

Absolutely this.

There is a book symbol in the top left hand corner of the book/schematic. Open means you read it already. Closed means it's new to you (gotta catcher all!!!!)

😜😜😜

Since imnplaying solo, I plan to sell duplicates to the trader for cold hard dukes. 👍

There is a book symbol in the top left hand corner of the book/schematic. Open means you read it already. Closed means it's new to you (gotta catcher all!!!!)

Since imnplaying solo, I plan to sell duplicates to the trader for cold hard dukes.

If this is true...then THANKS SO MUCH for the info! That'll be a huge help. Do you know if open just means you read it already, or that you KNOW it already (such as through a perk, like the blacksmith perk for learning the forge recipe)?

For TFP...I honestly appreciate a lot of the little indicators they've put into the game for things, but ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ have they hidden so many of these things in the hardest to find or notice places.

i think what he is after is... is reading a schematic to craft something going to show if you learned it or not as a perk... the answer is no... they are different... the schematic lets you learn to craft an item or whatever it is and a perk will add some other benefits/bonus more or less.

its all about making a decision. i have found the schematic for forge which gave me the ability to craft the forge... but i also wanted the next perk so i had to buy them. i didnt think of it as a loss because it was probably a couple game days later that i went on and chose the perks... so i had the forge early for a while.

:)

and confirmed about the read icon if you read the book/schematic.. but no bearing on a perk.

QA Tester-unholyjoe

If this is true...then THANKS SO MUCH for the info! That'll be a huge help. Do you know if open just means you read it already, or that you KNOW it already (such as through a perk, like the blacksmith perk for learning the forge recipe)?

For TFP...I honestly appreciate a lot of the little indicators they've put into the game for things, but ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ have they hidden so many of these things in the hardest to find or notice places.

It's a pretty subtle tell, but once you know to look for it, it's very easy to see.

It's a pretty subtle tell, but once you know to look for it, it's very easy to see.

I didn't know there was an xp bar on the top of the toolbelt until sometime in mid A17 when Roland made a comment on the forums that referred to it. I'm pretty sure there were several others in that thread that also went "OMG there's an xp bar there?!?"

They do an AMAZING job at UI minimization on many things, but a lot of those "tells" aren't explained anywhere (that I've seen...I'll admit I don't reread journal entries every alpha unless I've noticed a significant change...like farming in A18)

One last question....I get that the perks in many cases unlock higher tiers or additional bonuses.

But what if I already have the perk. Living off the land caused a bit of confusion for me in my last game...I didn't read far enough ahead very comprehensively, and had trouble remembering what I did read...as far as which plants were unlocked at which tier. Lets say I've learned Living off the land level 2...it unlocks goldenrod, aloe, chrysanthemum, etc. If I later find the goldenrod seed recipe...will the book show as open or closed? I haven't found the recipe before then, but I DO already technically know everything the recipe would give me, from having living off the land level 2 already.

I didn't know there was an xp bar on the top of the toolbelt until sometime in mid A17 when Roland made a comment on the forums that referred to it. I'm pretty sure there were several others in that thread that also went "OMG there's an xp bar there?!?"

They do an AMAZING job at UI minimization on many things, but a lot of those "tells" aren't explained anywhere (that I've seen...I'll admit I don't reread journal entries every alpha unless I've noticed a significant change...like farming in A18)

One last question....I get that the perks in many cases unlock higher tiers or additional bonuses.

But what if I already have the perk. Living off the land caused a bit of confusion for me in my last game...I didn't read far enough ahead very comprehensively, and had trouble remembering what I did read...as far as which plants were unlocked at which tier. Lets say I've learned Living off the land level 2...it unlocks goldenrod, aloe, chrysanthemum, etc. If I later find the goldenrod seed recipe...will the book show as open or closed? I haven't found the recipe before then, but I DO already technically know everything the recipe would give me, from having living off the land level 2 already.

I think joe said that's a negative.

Reading recipes marks recipes as read, learning them from perk doesnt. It is different. Imagine you use a respec item. You would unlearn all recipes you took perks for, but read recipes would remain.

books keep track of themselves (whether or not you read a copy vs perk allocation) so no, if you perk into something and then get the book, it'll be closed, (the forgetting elixir uses the book check tags so it doesn't erase them so they have a separate tag system to indicate if you know the schematic or not)

TL-DR - Book and Perk choices don't interact, so its better to read every book even if you know the Perk, so if you want to respec, you can just down the elixir and keep most of what you knew

Archived