wierd view distance issue

MrMadnessMD

That wall of terrain in the first picture looks like what happens when 2 versions of the game get mixed together.

The RWG has created a new terrain level and when mixed with the old terrain level it creates those sheer cliffs.

It can happen when a player uses the same name for a game from a previous alpha that was not deleted, or, also

when a game from a previous alpha is played in a newer alpha.

This isn't the case - these cliffs don't exist. Once you walk towards them they vanish and reveal the right terrain and the 'wall' jumps outwards a chunk. This does not happen on the pre-generated maps when playing straight from the client. Only when I have the dedicated server running on the host machine. All clients have the wall problem on non-pre packaged maps.

This is also happening to me. I have no other maps in the folders. Installed a clean A18 with the newest update and still I too am having this issue on our Server.

All clients see it too and this is pretty much also making the game unplayable to everyone.

Please Help and let us know if we can do anything to fix this. All servers do not have this issue it seems like there is something we maybe missing?

Then the distant terrain function is showing the old map info. Still the problem is mixing in map data from an old world.

This world did not exist in a17 on top of the fresh install with a18. New regen, new seed name, new install - weird problem though.

Yea it is pretty annoying:

20191019181842_1.jpg.fd26c6ceba55f2c86d95f225b3cb6b3a.jpg

Every one of us on the server are having this issue on our RNG map. The previous RNG map (which was deleted before reinstalling) did not have this problem and it can make exploring very painful since it severely limits view distance (which is maxed).

20191019181600_1.thumb.jpg.f94b82e2e1c69fc9ab7c7f45fdd01c49.jpg

I know we had this problem a few alphas ago but I thought it would be fixed by now. It's also a solid reason to use the pregen maps over the RWG unfortunately.

20191019181607_1.thumb.jpg.b865ad122d14cacba78f64a42bb29832.jpg

I really hope they fix this before we get out of experimental.

I did notice that it doesnt seem to happen in every biom consistently. In at least one biom the problem would occasionally go away.

Bottom line, for others who read this:

The world files (terrain, splatmaps etc) dont match the region files in the saves folder. The region files are the actual voxel world you interact with.

This will display the local terrain differently than the lower res distant terrain.

It will also mess up the splatmap (roads).

Somewhere in time the world files got overwritten by new ones.

Archived