YooHoo, zombies oh, where are you?

Jeraal

Gamestage does ramp up the z types and numbers.

On my first playthrough i decided to do an early Shotgun messiah factory raid.

Felt almost empty with a few workers here and sum dogs there. Even ontop of the roof where the Z's last stand is supposed to be were only 2 feral workers and rest fat hawaiians and Mommas. Later on a week or so after looting many many houses and doin almost nothing but quests i had the T4 quest to raid that same SM.

It. Was. Nuts.(positively) By that time i got myself an Lvl5 Ak47

Lvl5 smg lvl 4 Pumpy lvl5 M60 and i had two stacks of ammo each when entering.

Came out with only the last few shots left in the magazines and a whopping 7 levels more on my Back and a bunch of nice Armor and Weapons.

Im having a good time

The new death penalty doesn't help either. It sounded great on paper and I was on board, but the net result is dying allows my GS to stay low so there are limited threats, but the massive amounts of loot you can acquire allow me to bulk up on super armor and super weapons, plus plenty of ammo.

It was probably too early in the release for me to start my "a18 is too easy" rant but um, it really is too easy. If I have to wait until day 80 to get a decent threat, that's a flaw. "Think of the new players" isn't a good argument either, because every single one of us on this forum was a new player, and we managed to get through it. Hell, sounds like a lot of us reveled in it.

So far 18 has got a lot right. The dealbreker is ALWAYS going to be z numbers. Its better with fewer inside now, but, yet again, numbers are decreased outside.

Zombies have to be a constant threat, as wandering hordes used to be. There are valid reasons for less in small places and country etc,but towns and cities should have constant numbers posing a threat. Even spawning half of the max on a rolling basis would give some sort of impression of numbers.

The game does look to be heading back in the right direction, but those numbers are a worry seeing as they will need to be cut to accommodate bandits and npcs when they finally arrive.

The new death penalty doesn't help either. It sounded great on paper and I was on board, but the net result is dying allows my GS to stay low so there are limited threats, but the massive amounts of loot you can acquire allow me to bulk up on super armor and super weapons, plus plenty of ammo.

It was probably too early in the release for me to start my "a18 is too easy" rant but um, it really is too easy. If I have to wait until day 80 to get a decent threat, that's a flaw. "Think of the new players" isn't a good argument either, because every single one of us on this forum was a new player, and we managed to get through it. Hell, sounds like a lot of us reveled in it.

Have you tried turning up the XP modifier so you level faster and get a higher GS faster?

I just ran/walked 1,45 km through mostly burned forest. Picked up a drop and then ran back.

Encountered Z's...... None but one growling way in the distance.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried turning up the XP modifier so you level faster and get a higher GS faster?

Madmole have stated several times that its not a food thing to do that... Then again he said A17 was the best ever and now lifts A18 to the skies...

I for one seriously doubts his judgement.

I just ran/walked 1,45 km through mostly burned forest. Picked up a drop and then ran back.

Encountered Z's...... None but one growling way in the distance.

- - - Updated - - -

Madmole have stated several times that its not a food thing to do that... Then again he said A17 was the best ever and now lifts A18 to the skies...

I for one seriously doubts his judgement.

Your point is kind of specious since my suggestion was specific to Guppy since he is saying there is no challenge.

But you are correct, Madmole advised against it for people who might not want the gamestage to go up too quick.

The problem with having higher zombie counts is having higher zombie counts.

If we're talking about a city with square areas for POIs, meaning that at every streer you would have a few Zs (so around every POI), it's a problem with bigger cities. When you kill them constantly it's fine, but imagine running around without fighting (travelling through). You will quickly hit the zombie spawn limit, because streets you left behind had a couple Zs and you still have many streets in plain view.

For example, you're standing at 2 streets intersection. You would see Zs on all the streets leading from that intersection (4 so far), the next intersection would surely be in sight range, which means on each of thise 3 roads (4 + 3 * 4 = 16). Let's count 3 Zs on average per street, you got 48 in that proximity alone, not to mention generation of additional Zs when you move into any direction.

Don't get me wrong, i would love that, but it's a matter of: you want consantly 15 Zs in a 20 meter range, be ready to have around 40-50 spawned regularly (to support that). Where is place for sleepers, Wandering Hordes and Random Encounters?

You will quickly hit the zombie spawn limit,

Where is place for sleepers, Wandering Hordes and Random Encounters?

Well, if what you say is true for real then I might as well quit now cause its a void and empty world. I have however played mods with way more Z's in. So the big question is, how do they manage to make it work???

Gamestage does ramp up the z types and numbers.

On my first playthrough i decided to do an early Shotgun messiah factory raid.

Felt almost empty with a few workers here and sum dogs there. Even ontop of the roof where the Z's last stand is supposed to be were only 2 feral workers and rest fat hawaiians and Mommas. Later on a week or so after looting many many houses and doin almost nothing but quests i had the T4 quest to raid that same SM.

It. Was. Nuts.(positively) By that time i got myself an Lvl5 Ak47

Lvl5 smg lvl 4 Pumpy lvl5 M60 and i had two stacks of ammo each when entering.

Came out with only the last few shots left in the magazines and a whopping 7 levels more on my Back and a bunch of nice Armor and Weapons.

Im having a good time

Wasnt that because you spawned a T4 quest in there? And nothing to do with GS?

I remember in A15...walking into a big city.

Being terrified.by hordes of zombies, wondering when the next dog was going to show up out of nowhere. There weren't even any sleepers in the buildings, but you still weren't safe, those things would swarm up to the top of a hotel and be beating on your roof door. Where did we go from that to end up here?

Maybe I'm just out of touch with what the majority wants now? I like the atmosphere of the fear, the knowledge that I don't have enough ammo, or even durability in my weapons to take out the horde. So eventually I have to hide and lick my wounds. I'm not interested in the cheap jump scares and trying to use complicated combat maneuvers to kill a single basic zombie, (which is all you are gonna find out in the outside world now anyways). This is not dying light, and therein lies the magic of the game.

Sure, a normal zombie is pretty easy. It is the most basic enemy in the game. There are other "more difficult" enemies that are in the game at this point to throw in the mix. Nintendo didn't see that goombas were too easy to kill and decide to give them jetpacks to fly around the screen to kill you.

It was probably too early in the release for me to start my "a18 is too easy" rant but um, it really is too easy. .

Completely agree. Easiest yet. Had planned first playthrough to be on default but man, zero challenge, nothing can touch us. Cranked up to Warrior, still zero challenge.

So the sequence is events is:

1) Get your gamestage up for good enough loot.

2) Die on purpose daily and loot like crazy until you build up a really good supply of high tier goodies.

3) Stop dying, but now you don't have to worry about much because you are prepared for basically anything.

Yeah, I'd say that's not going to work out.

Your point is kind of specious since my suggestion was specific to Guppy since he is saying there is no challenge.

But you are correct, Madmole advised against it for people who might not want the gamestage to go up too quick.

It's not that, I can certainly mod the settings however I want, it's that the vanilla gameplay, the standard gameplay, should not be boring. Because it is a foundation of modded gameplay.

A lot of people don't see it, but every time the pimps take something away, or simplify it, or streamline it, it takes away from the modability as well.

2) Die on purpose daily and loot like crazy until you build up a really good supply of high tier goodies.

3) Stop dying, but now you don't have to worry about much because you are prepared for basically anything.

Don't even need step 1, just spend more time on step 2.

It's not that, I can certainly mod the settings however I want, it's that the vanilla gameplay, the standard gameplay, should not be boring. Because it is a foundation of modded gameplay.

A lot of people don't see it, but every time the pimps take something away, or simplify it, or streamline it, it takes away from the modability as well.

It's impossible to make the default settings not be boring. Boring to someone that is. If the ability to adjust things to have more fun exists it would behooves you to try it out.

Maybe. If you tried right from day one, it would take forever. Not saying it isn't possible, but it would be more work than just playing legit.

Dude I had 2 turrets in the first few days and bought a better one for like 400. I got an m60, ak47 and tons of ammo not too much later. Plenty to allow me access to "higher tier" loot.

Name of the game. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's impossible to make the default settings not be boring. Boring to someone that is. If the ability to adjust things to have more fun exists it would behooves you to try it out.

I already do that.

You can skip steps 2 and 3 completely. Day 16 I haven't died yet. Game is so easy you do not need to do that. Just get your GS up so you actually see some damn zombies in the game. We just looted the entire of the Higashi skyscraper looking for the 2nd Beaker (again). Saw about 2 dozen zombies. Last time I did that place (A17) it was in the hundreds and my friend was killed a few times. No way anyone is going to die in there now.

I'd really like a dev to confirm for me: does increased gamestage increase zombie numbers, both inside POIs and out, because right now this is a farce.

You can skip steps 2 and 3 completely. Day 16 I haven't died yet. Game is so easy you do not need to do that. Just get your GS up so you actually see some damn zombies in the game. We just looted the entire of the Higashi skyscraper looking for the 2nd Beaker (again). Saw about 2 dozen zombies. Last time I did that place (A17) it was in the hundreds and my friend was killed a few times. No way anyone is going to die in there now.

I'd really like a dev to confirm for me: does increased gamestage increase zombie numbers, both inside POIs and out, because right now this is a farce.

I dont know if zombie number scales with more players bc I play alone, but sure as hell dont want to kill hundreds of zombies for a POI. That's more tedious than hard. 2 dozens for a big POI sounds right, at least playing solo.

Perhaps... but we were talking about the ineffectiveness of the death penalty.

Anyway. Living to day 16 even on hardest difficulty isn’t that much to make conclusions on. That part of the game is not supposed to be impossible.

Perhaps... but we were talking about the ineffectiveness of the death penalty.

Anyway. Living to day 16 even on hardest difficulty isn’t that much to make conclusions on. That part of the game is not supposed to be impossible.

True but it's never been this easy either. Or this uneventful.

Archived