New Map, a new Navezgane, RWG options or something?

ARRANOX

Disclaimer: you are reading this in a calm and productive voice. ( some sentences might be built up wierd since i foreign)

This is however not a post about whining, but for discussing sollutions and ideas.

Due to years now of RWG being broken, I like many others have been playing Navezgane alot.

and you do get boored with the map long before you are boored with the game.

and RWG is a no go like it has been for years now.

Once i see snow border to dessert im refusing to play on that map, but you all know how RWG works now.

Yes i know its being fixed, but to be fair it was being fixed for A17 but it only worked for the first release.

Nitrogen is ofc a perfectly good sollution. but we must keep in mind that a majority of the 7DTD gamers don`t do much research and problaby don`t visit the forums.

Nitrogen is problaby the only reason i havent put this game on the shelf until A18.

If the Fun Pimps added a new map based on a working RWG map that you could choose instead of Navezgane or RWG.

as a temporary sollution if the A18 map proves difficulties again.

i have tried editing the splatmap on my own, but it would not work, but i bet the Developers could do this easy, just to give the players a decent preloaded RWG map to play on.

However in the future, i would love to see a new map handcrafted like Navezgane enter the game.

with bridges and POI`s making use of the landscape and terrain.

(If i could manage to find out how i use the map editor tools i would problaby try and do something like this myself)

have anyone done this btw?

Last topic,

I Love using Nitrogen with all the options you can do. due to the RWG problems in 7DTD my favorite option would be snow north and dessert south.

Should we have more options like these in the game? what do you think?

I have not made any truly "from scratch" maps. I think I might have to play around and attempt one myself. That sounds like fun. Can you shape the terrain by hand and then have it auto populate with POI's still or do you really end up hand placing everything?

And not sure why u wouldn't play on a map where snow borders the desert. When I was in the military we did some desert training and one morning we all woke up covered in snow. So it does snow in and around desert terrain.

Especially in parts of Arizona

Do you have Pine and spruce trees in Arizona aswell?

having the biomes splashed around randomly is not very immersive.

but in the greenlands/forrest it works with wasteland and burnt forrest splashed around.

Dessert, forrest and snow biome should feel like different places, it gives the map alot more character.

must be a sight to see snow in the Arizona dessert though :o

Yes. There are even a couple of variants specific to Arizona. As are areas where desert meets right up with snow.

did some searching on google on this. looks like something out of no mans sky or something.. so wierd and cool at the same time.

the first quote that popped up when i searched was: It's not often you see snow in Arizona, but when you do, it's pretty magical.

i still don`t think it fits in 7DTD

but it might just be that i don`t like the build up of biomes randomly placed around the map.

people generally don`t like the RWG as it is now so no point in trying to sell it.

if some of you think that the way it works now is the best, TFP should really consider putting in some rwg options in the future

I drove through the northern part of Arizona at the beginning of summer and the weather went from dry to suddenly snowing. Just saying snow right next to desert is not such a weird thing.

I live in California and I love the geography and the weather and thought of moving to Arizona but I would rather live in Oregon for the Ocean and to see the fall leaves.

I just created a random 8k map with nitrogen and am happy remove the burnt forest biome but I was wondering if this random map generated is more prone to bugs and crashing on the map itself or if 7 Days to Die just treats it as any other map. Really do not want to start on new game on this map and find out 50 days later I get constant crashes.

If we're being honest, I'd love to be able to create/edit the maps in a comparable fashion to Nitrogen using the default settings when creating a game. Even more functions/options than Nitrogen has would be great. I disdain addons, but i did get Nitrogen to see what it was like and it worked really well. However, I'd rather have something built into the game itself to allow broad customization levels including for characters, specific items that can be added or removed and so on. Having a robust editor would give more depth and challenge, and doesn't seem terribly difficult to add.

If nothing else, the devs could set the initialization of an area as one of several specifically crafted biome designs, which the game then randomly populates with POI's and whatnot. Have a contest with people submitting hand crafted areas that can be selected without having to install a bunch of addons or download things from other sources to use.

At the end of the day, i want the stock version of the game to be as vast and diverse as the players want to make it. Hopefully, as we go forward, the devs will keep this in mind. :)

At the end of the day, i want the stock version of the game to be as vast and diverse as the players want to make it. Hopefully, as we go forward, the devs will keep this in mind. :)

yeah i think this might be a good point, as it would add to replayabilty greatly.

the replayability of this game is however great, and its something i love about this game, but who says it can`t be better? :)

What would be the size difference from a 16384 random map compared to the standard navezgane?

Pretty sure it's four times the size. If I recall correctly, the default map is 4K. We ran on a 16K Nitrogen map two months ago. It was HUGE. I don't think we ended up uncovering half the map in total before we ended up switching back to a 8K map. The main reason was some people were struggling with their systems handling it and the part was that we lost quite a few clients (public server) due to the horrendous initial load time. It took 30+ minutes to download the map the first time. I will go back to using a 16K map though. Driving across the landscape together and scouting areas for new bases was awesome. We had five bases per person so most ended up with a base in all areas of the map.

Pretty sure it's four times the size. If I recall correctly, the default map is 4K. We ran on a 16K Nitrogen map two months ago. It was HUGE. I don't think we ended up uncovering half the map in total before we ended up switching back to a 8K map. The main reason was some people were struggling with their systems handling it and the part was that we lost quite a few clients (public server) due to the horrendous initial load time. It took 30+ minutes to download the map the first time. I will go back to using a 16K map though. Driving across the landscape together and scouting areas for new bases was awesome. We had five bases per person so most ended up with a base in all areas of the map.

Nav is a 6k map by comparison.

Thanks guys, I did some searches and it is as you say a 6k map which is an odd number going in multiples of 2, like 4094, 8192 and 16,384. I like the idea of leaving out the burned forest (I live 100 miles from a small town CA that was completely destroyed from fire so I cannot help but to think about it when I travel through the burned forest biome and I do not want to be reminded of it) and wasteland in Nitrogen as well as adding a lot of traders and towns, it just means I have another 200 hours to get back to where I am in Navezgane - full-on reinforced concrete towers and catwalk base with about 400 metal spike traps laid out and about 300 metal bars all of which take a boatload of resources to make and level 209 or something. I just hope the map did not produce any garbage I may find out later on.

Yeah the 16K map takes about 20 minutes or more to load so I went back to 8K instead and It has a lot of towns and cites and traders.

I add things in my head:

that's as far as I usually go in my head.

I hardly ever see textures that do not follow this .DDS or other formats like .PNG or .BMP. Usually you will see textures from 128 up to 4096, this is from my level editing and 3DS Max experience and of course every good game has a mod for 4K or 8K parallax texture pack but never 6K, but yeah it follows the byte formula. I have used Hammer editor for Day of Defeat Source a long time ago and It was strict on multiples of 2, meaning no 320 or 768, I had to use the above formula for textures when I was making a level for Day of Defeat Source that Steam conveniently wiped from my hard drive after hundreds of hours of editing, bastards. I had to use 64,128, 256, 512, 1024 or 2048 so this is where I got the multiples of 2 thing at.

Archived