Procedural POIs

nemo888

Imo writing a prefab customizer or even a generator is not very hard. Existing prefabs could be split into several lightly different POIs allow us to randomize zombie spawn point, loot and other variables. Unfortunately, there's a voice in my head saying - "that's not your task". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

While it can be done technically with the existing methods to place modular POIs, that then form a random variation, I dont like this kind of hacking around something that should be done internally by the game.

Its way easier to realize such a system within the games code itself, and then offer users to create custom POI-parts and maybe define some generation rules (eg what should fit to what).

On the other hand, such a system would be more needed if there where only a handful of POIs. But the game has quite an extensive amount of handcrafted POIs already. More so than most casual players would ever clear out.

So procedural POIs are probably not seen as a priority.

We can technically do this by using the magic loot containers.

...the ones that decide if the cabinet is going to be opened or closed...

The results are not ideal, as there is not current logic to make the adjoining blocks the same, IE walls.

Another method used to be creating prefabs and forcing Rwg to place them randomly for modular buildings, I even did a random maze this way, but that broke in a15 I think?

Someone clever is doing it for a mod though. *Cough*haidr'gna*cough*.

Archived