limit_user_tracking":false,"player_opted_out

Does anyone know what this means?

{"prefs":{},"analytics":{"enabled":true},"connect":{"limit_user_tracking":false,"player_opted_out":false,"enabled":true},"performance":{"enabled":true}}

I sure never opted in and would never agree to full tracking.

Found this in Analytics file in personal LocalLow folder config file.

I wonder what they have access to?!? and could it be hacked. Now worried my credit card info could be comprised.

Called Unity

Unity to games makers.

Unity provides the tools to allow a player to opt out of the PII collection, and to manage the personal data that Unity collects about them, as required by the GDPR. Your responsibilities include adding an opt-out button to your app, and providing a link to Unity’s privacy policy from your own privacy policy. Why is there no opt-out button?

Means nothing. But thanks anyway.

FYI that it turns out to be a breach of the EU General Data Protection Regulation and Unitys own rules as there is be an opt-out option which the game fails to do. " you must use the Unity Analytics Data Privacy plug-in to give your players control over Unity Analytics data collection".

I posted this on the Steam forum...

This is actually a pretty common feature in games since consoles and computers have been attached to the internet.

Here are a few articles that explain it.

The Platform Evolution of Game Analytics

Game Analytics 101

Here's a website for a company that tracks and compiles the data.

https://keen.io/solutions/gaming-analytics/

https://deltadna.com/

A random Thesis I found when Googling to provide these links...

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:945585/FULLTEXT01.pdf

A Forbes article from a little over a year ago.

How Advances In Behavioral Analytics Are Disrupting The Gaming Industry

Really this isn't anything new or interesting.

Also, it's not like you didn't already agree to the information. When you purchased the game, you gave your consent by agreeing to the EULA.

Read section II here...

https://7daystodie.com/eula/

It's also posted on Steam here.

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/251570_eula_0

Strange you would say hire a lawyer and sue!?! Privacy isn't a trivial matter.

I guess some cultures are addicted to lawsuits and lawyers.

Privacy shouldn't be a trivial matter, I agree. Your first post would have been perfectly fine if you hadn't included that last line which was already accusing and fearing without knowing anything. On my computer I have hundreds of config-files or -lines with default values that practically mean nothing because the corresponding program is never started or the feature is not used.

The information in that posted thread "it's part of the bug report tool. If the client detects the crash, you'll get a pop up to send information." would indicate that you are asked before any information is sent, so it would conform to GDPR. IF this is still accurate info and all analytics that is done.

@SlylenThunder: The links that explain Game Analytics for developers are not really helpful to anyone asking about privacy (I checked only your second link though). That it is a pretty common feature is irrelevant, tax evasion is also pretty common and still not legal :cocksure:

Essentially the best feature of the GDPR makes it necessary for anyone who uses data belonging to other people on the internet to explain what data he uses under which circumstances. The Licence does not really address this, licence terms like " This information may include, but is not limited to..." may already be problematic even if later restricted by "is intended to be anonymous information". Especially since the list includes user ids and friends lists and "shared with Licensor’s marketing partners" who could have databases with other information that might very easily identify the user.

I'd be more worried about google and amazon than I would unity and TFP. They are everywhere, literaly everywhere and you pretty much cannot avoid them. Was a video series about cutting things out of their life, to do with the internet, they tried google and amazon, and found that most of the internet just did not work anymore period, because of how much of it is ran on google/amazon servers and api's. If you use a cell phone, your constantly on google and amazon's networks as most cell phone games/apps use amazon servers.

This can be a touchy subject, so I'd like it to continue to focus on this game, and not turn into a discussion of other companies or a philosophical/political debate on privacy writ large. Thanks everyone. - Moderator

I just thought I'd add this:

GPDR is not a choice, no matter how many signed EULAs you have got.

It is the law and must be adhered to.

That's debatable since TFP isn't directly targeting Europe for sales. Yes it's sold in Europe, but it's sold globally. It would only apply if they were specifically targeting a certain group in Europe.

Examples

When the regulation applies

Your company is a small, tertiary education company operating online with an establishment based outside the EU. It targets mainly Spanish and Portuguese language universities in the EU. It offers free advice on a number of university courses and students require a username and a password to access your online material. Your company provides the said username and password once the students fill out an enrolment form.

When the regulation does not apply

Your company is service provider based outside the EU. It provides services to customers outside the EU. Its clients can use its services when they travel to other countries, including within the EU. Provided your company doesn't specifically target its services at individuals in the EU, it is not subject to the rules of the GDPR.

Source

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rules-business-and-organisations/application-regulation/who-does-data-protection-law-apply_en

That's debatable since TFP isn't directly targeting Europe for sales. Yes it's sold in Europe, but it's sold globally. It would only apply if they were specifically targeting a certain group in Europe.

Source

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rules-business-and-organisations/application-regulation/who-does-data-protection-law-apply_en

It's not debatable.

If they restricted Steam sales to the US, but US buyers could still play on their laptops when travelling in the EU then they'd be exempt; but they actively sell through Steam in the EU so that counts as targeting the service to individuals in the EU and means they have to abide by the GDPR.

(Source: I'm Security Manager for a software company.)

But TFP would need to be specifically targeting individuals in the EU, and it's not. Clients can use the service in other countries, and it's target audience is a lot broader than a specific group in the EU. It's not as cut and dried as it seems, but rather a very narrow fence we're standing on here. Based on the quoted examples, I'd think that the regulation wouldn't apply to most video games and other similar items with a global audience.

But TFP would need to be specifically targeting individuals in the EU, and it's not.

They've made the game available in the EU on Steam, priced in Euros and British Pounds. That's specifically targeting individuals in the EU as customers.

It doesn't have to only target EU residents to count, it just has to specifically target them.

Based on the quoted examples, I'd think that the regulation wouldn't apply to most video games and other similar items with a global audience.

It does apply to most items with a global audience. You've probably not noticed because you're in the US, but most US-based websites that also target a European audience now have extra opt-out code in them that you have to click past before you can access the site. The opt-out code is usually just targeted to EU-based audiences. Partly because they don't want US audiences to have to click through it to get to the site, and also because they don't want US audiences to opt out, of course. So being in the US you've probably rarely, if ever, seen it.

What the nice cup of tea says is all true. No amount of kissing up to the TFP would change the fact that any EU citizen that owns the game (such as myself) can submit a complaint right now, with minimal effort and no lawyer required, and TFP will get an extremely nasty fine on their hands. They're playing with fire.

Archived