My Review of the Perks

Ghostlight

My last death was forgetting I was on a MP server and hitting ESC to pause the game while I AFK'd. Came back to a surprise.

LOL. I have done that once - thought I paused and did not. Since I play DID, that went over poorly.

Does the Deep Cuts perk have a visual effect or something to indicate, that the zombie is debuffed by bleeding? That's the one thing that makes reconsider perking into it. Unlike, the perks that that affect the sledgehammer where you can tell that you've knocked them down.

• 4 weeks later...
We're looking at redistributing weapons to various attributes so players no longer HAVE to have INT or STR. By specializing in axes, you'll be able to craft nice axes, little to no INT required. This way players can specialize on 1-2 attributes and feel pretty powerful instead of forced into jack of all trade perk selections. NEED str, NEED int, NEED this, NEED that. We're still talking about how to distribute crafting skill so non INT players are viable, yet people who want to be a specialized crafter also can be the INT guy.

Logically it made sense that INT controlled crafting quality, Perception controlled all firearm skills, STR controlled melee/mining but at the end of the day it doesn't make for player choice. So now agility will govern knives/bows/pistols because those are the goto stealth weapons and agility is the stealth skill. Every attribute will have a ranged and melee weapon perk it governs. Everything is moved around a bit, but with player archetypes in mind.

I'm still working on this design and need to sell it to the team but its looking getting some traction. Just need to finalize how to split up crafting perks.

I would still strongly prefer to find recipes instead of the current perk format for learning how to craft items.

You are forced to go explore to find things that way.

With perks all you have to do is fire up the forges and kill heat hordes til you are level 120.

I would still strongly prefer to find recipes instead of the current perk format for learning how to craft items.

You are forced to go explore to find things that way.

With perks all you have to do is fire up the forges and kill heat hordes til you are level 120.

Max level gear must be found now - that will have the same effect that skill books had before without starving the player of a particular weapon/tool if you get unlucky.

Wow, you must be, like, really smart. =P

BTW, how did you make the santa hat? =P

With the currently broken perk system, you barely have to leave the house.

Just kill zombies until you magically know to craft everything.

No challenge or need to explore whatsoever.

The Santa hat was a lucky looter find from a laundry POI, but they can be found in various dressers and such that would normally have clothing. It is literally the only piece of equipment I did not craft myself.

With the currently broken perk system, you barely have to leave the house.

Just kill zombies until you magically know to craft everything.

No challenge or need to explore whatsoever.

The Santa hat was a lucky looter find from a laundry POI, but they can be found in various dressers and such that would normally have clothing. It is literally the only piece of equipment I did not craft myself.

Either we have choices in play styles or we don't (there are advantages and drawbacks either way). I prefer to have choices.

Did you read about the features coming in A18? . What you are experiencing is the result of an incomplete game and A18 will provide a lot of incentives to go out and explore. Since I'm primarily a scavenger type player A18 seems to be the alpha I've been waiting for for a long time.

Either we have choices in play styles or we don't (there are advantages and drawbacks either way). I prefer to have choices.

Did you read about the features coming in A18? . What you are experiencing is the result of an incomplete game and A18 will provide a lot of incentives to go out and explore. Since I'm primarily a scavenger type player A18 seems to be the alpha I've been waiting for for a long time.

I wish I felt the same. I'll always have love for the game, the spark is gone for me and my group though. 6 days left and my $50/m server that's been sitting empty for the last month will be done. Most everyone I played with has uninstalled. I haven't loaded in in almost a month. I'll check for other updates, but I think it's time for an extended break. May skip A18 all together and check back in a couple updates.

Archived