How effective are non-electrical traps in A17?

Xtrakicking

I use a bridge base, no loop....the zombies CAN get in, but they have to charge down a 15-block straightaway....and i put barbed wire in it to slow them down.

the barbed wire rarely kills

It effectively slows, though it does get damaged and destroyed as the night wears on

You need to active defend your base, but the 1-block wide approach and barbed wire means they line up nicely and I can get headshots most of the time....bow and then pistol or shotgun when they get close covers the first 2-3 horde nights easy

I use a bridge base, no loop....the zombies CAN get in, but they have to charge down a 15-block straightaway....and i put barbed wire in it to slow them down.

It effectively slows, though it does get damaged and destroyed as the night wears on

You need to active defend your base, but the 1-block wide approach and barbed wire means they line up nicely and I can get headshots most of the time....bow and then pistol or shotgun when they get close covers the first 2-3 horde nights easy

This to me is no different than a loop base (not a negative thing, just the current challenge). Clever use of blocks and active defending.

sounds a bit like using the toothy in 16. you had to do the killing, and there is a slight chance of breach / being ove run. fall back positions for the win

• 8 months later...
It's been, I believe, a couple alphas since I use any non-electrical traps in any of my games. (That is, spikes, barbed wire, wire fences, mines... etc.).

How effective are they in this new alpha? Are they worth the cost of resources and time? Or are they still kinda meh?

They can be VERY effective.

No magic. Zombies will just see the spikes as a stepping block, and try to path over it. They will sometimes jump atop of each other and get across though. The key is to keep the platform 1 block higher then the spikes. Perhaps a pyramid would work better, hmmm.

Disclaimer: Early A17 video. AI might have changed a little bit.

edit: Once a spike is broken, they will try the next spike, and so on.

Archived