A feature we can all get behind... Choice

Odin_the_Mad

Eh justify it anyway you please: they dont feel like zombies and thats a damn shame for a game that used to be my 3rd favourate zombie game.

(project zomboid and KillingFloor 1/2 would be the others for anyone intrested) one has great relaism and simulation and the other has great gunplay and fun action)

And im sorry but i dont put much stock in the outsmarting the enemies thing, if they were a truely intelligent enemy then why would they ever attack your fortified position or fall for simple ♥♥♥♥ like mazes.

So they are smart enough to not walk directly into spikes but at the same time incapable of making the decision to wait for the player to come out from under thier mound of traps?

(Intresting note: killing floor isnt actualy zombies and instead mutant... clone... things? Thourght i should clarify this before anyone decided to point it out)

I'm not saying my synopsis of what is going on here is perfect. I'm just throwing out some possibilities that TFP might be playing with that could be related to the story of the game if we ever get it. Perhaps they are working toward something we don't see yet, or maybe they're just experimenting with different AI styles to see what works best and what doesn't. I honestly don't know. Instead of sitting around trying to bust their chops about it, I'm enjoying the game and working things out as best I can till the next Alpha releases and things change again. You may call the whole "It's an alpha" thing a defense, but that doesn't change the fact that it's 100% true. This is an alpha being designed by people who many of which have never developed a game before. They're learning as they go, just as we are. I've personally enjoyed the ride, and I feel that if you sit back and just take it for what it is instead of what you think it should be, you would have a much more pleasant time with the game than you currently are.

Options are nice. But, I think the core game should be balanced before we get 'pages and pages' of options. It would be less efficient if everyone was manipulating tons of options and then discussing their gameplay and devs trying to balance the game based on the widely varied play experiences.

It's also not as simple as just mapping the XML values to the GUI. There are going to be bugs associated with the actual options you pass through that you cannot anticipate. So they will need to be tested. And, each time you make changes to the game- they are going to have to be all tested again. It will cause delays.

Just as an example, the new speed settings cause occasional animation glitches. If you set the zombies to 'run' - they glitch out occasionally and warp around after playing their pain animation but before continuing the run animation. That's an option they put in the game born from an existing variable just as if they had provided it for you to change manually in the game's GUI. Even when they actually did it themselves - it's STILL got bugs..Imagine the bugs if they just linked the XML to an options page in the GUI and let you go hog-wild changing things.

I noticed this, when they come out of it, they go into the sprint animation for a second or so, before slowing back down again.

But that's where you're wrong. On several occasions I've seen TFP take forum discussions into consideration for further development. Even in A17, we've already seen changes based on the direction the forum discussions were leaning. This is why we have these discussions. They listen. Believe me, they listen. It might not seem like it at times, but I know for a fact they probably read about 75% of the forum posts to get the general consensus on various mechanics. I'm not saying to not talk about what you like and don't like. That is the fuel that drives this bus. What I'm saying is that just simply getting on here and calling things horrible and the worst aren't accomplishing anything except for inviting hostility. Yeah, some of those will be fanbois. I don't deny that. But most of us are legitimately trying to discuss improvements for the game and perhaps those discussions will have an effect on the direction of development. I have a simple rule, and it's not just for game forums, but for life in general. Don't complain unless you have a better way. Don't say "I don't like this" and not be able to follow it up with "and this is how I would do it." Those conversations are actually welcome, but I would tweak that format a bit because using that might come off sounding a little condescending, but you get the idea.

Okay and when the (maybe minority, nobody can actually give accurate data on what players like/dislike outside of putting a survey or somthing similar in game) asked for crafting not to be dumbbed down or resources to not be made generic or for somthig as simple as the food/water bars being back on the UI...

There have been plenty of things people in the community has expressed a dislike for that are still ignored today. (Are we EVER getting craft timers back to being an option?, it was an option when i started playing and its tiersome to have to edit every single item recipe in the game every update to get that back)

As far as the developers viewing my feedback as hostile... thats thier issue. The forums themselves come off as a hostile place when there are certain people who do nothing but hurl abuse at people for having a different opinon.

I'm not saying my synopsis of what is going on here is perfect. I'm just throwing out some possibilities that TFP might be playing with that could be related to the story of the game if we ever get it. Perhaps they are working toward something we don't see yet, or maybe they're just experimenting with different AI styles to see what works best and what doesn't. I honestly don't know. Instead of sitting around trying to bust their chops about it, I'm enjoying the game and working things out as best I can till the next Alpha releases and things change again. You may call the whole "It's an alpha" thing a defense, but that doesn't change the fact that it's 100% true. This is an alpha being designed by people who many of which have never developed a game before. They're learning as they go, just as we are. I've personally enjoyed the ride, and I feel that if you sit back and just take it for what it is instead of what you think it should be, you would have a much more pleasant time with the game than you currently are.

Id personally say never developed software before let alone a game but thats beside the point.

And im sorry but i wont 'just sit back and accept whatever TFP say/do' .

Like iv pointed out over and over again, i USED to have a great time with 7days to die and the developers added or changed features that spoiled the game for me. Them adding more and more of these types of systems means that my enjoyment of the game is never going to raise back to what it was. Again its not fun editing 1000s of lines of XML every single update and having to do this more and more each alpha has what has killed the enjoyment for me.

You are totally entitled to that opinion, it's how that opinion was disseminated that I found issue with. Just look at what you wrote; "complete waste". That's highly insulting. You can say you don't like the changes, but who are you to decide whether someone's contribution to a computer game is a waste or not? Especially as you have absolutely no visibility of what was done and for what reason.

It's this sort of knee jerk reaction from people who have done nothing more than pay £20 (or $ or € or whatever) who somehow seem to think that gives them carte blanche to ridicule the time spent developing a game that a lot of people actually like and find the *autistic_screeching* is way over the top.

Criticism, sure, but it must be constructive. I wrote a post about this before but salty children whined and gave me negative rep which just shows that there is a minority of people in the community who don't care about the game so long as it fits their exact template. Any deviation from that template is somehow akin to the world ending.

Let's just look at the other points you made.

"AI is terrible". No mention that they are a significant improvement since A16. I would also suggest that you have never written any AI routines. It's actually very hard for all sorts of reasons, and that's before you then need to rip most of it out in order to support the number of AI. You either get few, very clever, zombies or lots more who are much less "clever".

"Skill system is horrible". Said it before, it's not changing in A17 (it might be in A18, who knows) so to continue complaining about this is pointless. It is the one point I have sympathy with, but again it's the explicit disregard for any positive.

"Vehicles and why so many". Go back, read up on the A16 comments, you'll see there was a lot of positivity regarding new vehicles in A17. There was lots of positive feedback on the YT videos showing the bike, the jeep or the motorcycle. Why have so many? Hell why have so many guns, why have so many different things to eat. At this point it seems you are complaining that TFP have added stuff to the game. Edit: See the one thing that disappoints me with vehicles is a lack of a boat. We've all got stuck on the other side of water where RWG seems to have generated a crossing miles away.

"Temp buffs are worthless". If you fail to use them as an advantage then that's your issue, not the game's. They are certainly not OP and provide a short term benefit. For example, about to loot Shotgun Messiah, why not use a looting buff. About to take on a PoI with ferals, why not use a melee buff.

As for the new PoI's being "the single worst addition in 7 days history" that actually had me laughing out loud. You are in such a tiny minority with that it's not even worth discussing.

I like the new AI, currently it is version 1.0 of it, and it will be tweaked more, including adding randomized "dumb classic zombies" into the spawns Its nice they can path to you easy, but the way they path is pretty mechanical and its very easy to exploit, you should see my current base. Its in the big church poi, and I have the zombies being forced to walk down a zig-zagging path full of barbed wire fences, theu the POI till the back which there is then a single staircase to get to me. They zigzag thru the traps to try to get up that staircase to get to me, as it is a clear path to the player. Think on day 7 horde night only 1 zombie managed to make it to the bottom of the stairs and that was because I mostly ignored that one.

Skill system, its hit and miss for me, I feel some stats have to many useful perks (Str, fort, int) while perception and agility are pretty worthless in comparason, even more so in b221 as the headshot mult is not +100%, compared to b208 where it was 50% and u needed 2 levels in the melee or ranged headshot perk to bring it to 100%, Other than agi for base stamina I honestly don't see anything in agility worth getting perk wise. Some stuff would be nice, but you can't really afford the spare points for it early game, as you need to invest havily in str/int/fort asap. Str for mining/yeilds/inv space, fort for healing factor/farming/survival, int is all the crafting stuff so thats a must too. I've honestly never spent anything in perception in any playthru, I just never felt the need to. This is especally true in b221, comp bow+1 mod in it, and iron arrows=1 shot kills on some zombies from stealth, with 0 points into perception at all. This is on nomad diffculty which I assume is what the game is balanced around.

The vechicles in A17 have progression, bike has 9 slots, minibike 27, motorcycle 36, 4x4 is probally 45 or 56 inv slots. Though I do admit their default speeds feel too slow.

The new pois I like them for 2 reasons: 1) They are a big exp ballon just dying to be poped with how many zombies are in them, and 2) the new poi's ALWAYS have a juicy loot room at the end guarnteed, so you know your not wasting your time like with most of the old POI's.

I like the new AI, currently it is version 1.0 of it, and it will be tweaked more, including adding randomized "dumb classic zombies" into the spawns Its nice they can path to you easy, but the way they path is pretty mechanical and its very easy to exploit, you should see my current base. Its in the big church poi, and I have the zombies being forced to walk down a zig-zagging path full of barbed wire fences, theu the POI till the back which there is then a single staircase to get to me. They zigzag thru the traps to try to get up that staircase to get to me, as it is a clear path to the player. Think on day 7 horde night only 1 zombie managed to make it to the bottom of the stairs and that was because I mostly ignored that one.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a double edged sword. In A16 the zombies were stupid and offered little challenge, now they are much cleverer but they are also more predictable. Some sort of mish mash between those who go directly towards you and some who are a bit stupider and take different routes would be a nice addition (imo, of course).

My turn! Let's just start from the beginning.

-snip-

-temporary buffs are worthless (not in a balance sense, in a 'they add nothing to the game senae') - Hey, they're there. You don't have to use them. I've found a few I like to keep in stock for certain things, but worst case scenario, they make pretty damn decent trader fodder, and considering there are so many different ones, you can likely offload a whole crapload on a single trader for a nice profit. If the temp buffs are bothering you, then go play another game.

I feel the issue with the temp buffs is they just don't last long enough, Recog and fort bites for example last about 60s. Recog I can kinda see why as it gives a 500%! ranged damage bonus for its 30-60s duration. But fort bites should last at least 5 minutes, as should most buff items like coffee etc. I mostly just do what you said and unload them on the trader, only one I hold onto is steroids as they last 10 mins and max out your inventory size for that time, and give a 50% melee dmg buff for 10 mins too. One mod I played in a16 was darkness falls, had a quest to collect 40 coffee beans, which nets you 1 Super coffee and the recipie to make more. Recipe was 10 coffe beans and a bottle of water (I think), the buff was the normal coffee buff except it lasts 30 real life minutes. Coffee in a17e I think lasts 2 minutes? its almost not worth using due to how little you can actually get done in 2 mins. Should be upped to at least 5 minutes imo. Don't get me started on beer with its 30 sec duration. I mostly use beer as vendor fodder now as the buff is so short its not worth using.

I highly doubt that. In some cases this may actually be feasable, but if you don't adapt the old code appropriatly to new interfaces you will get something that will not even compile let alone work without crashing all the time. The real cost is keeping that old code up to date for a long time, ask Microsoft how much backwards compatibility costs them.

Sure it would not be possibel to keep Crafting Grid and the new Crafing System sure.

But as exampel take Weapon Crafting.

To offer the Player a Choice between the current System and a way to go back to the old System with Parts and different Part Quality it woudl be possible. Dont overwrite and modify the Alpha 16.4 Code to make it the new Code. But add new Code for Alpha 17 , keep the Alpha 16.4 Code offer a Value in a config for Version Old or New and the Game use Old or New version. Sure this would also mean you have to modify the Perks but thats nothign Pimps must take care thats a Job for the modders who want to use the old System.

As long as the pimps keep the needed code in the Game and make it usable for a Modder it can be done.

Its easier sure if you only remove older code add new stuff on top of it and say thats it, but at same time if you do that and do such totally Game Changing stuff you make people angry. i Played many Early Access games and also i know often you must chance something to make it work with a New Idea or make it more stable. But i really never had a Early Access Game that always change so many Basic things as its done in 7days.

Its not like chaning here something add here a new feature and remove 1 or 2 which are broken.

In 7 days its more like "hmm we make a new Alpha Update lets call it 17, so we should really remove 70% of the Stuff how the game is played and make somethign totally different" and thats what i dont like .

I feel the issue with the temp buffs is they just don't last long enough, Recog and fort bites for example last about 60s. Recog I can kinda see why as it gives a 500%! ranged damage bonus for its 30-60s duration. But fort bites should last at least 5 minutes, as should most buff items like coffee etc. I mostly just do what you said and unload them on the trader, only one I hold onto is steroids as they last 10 mins and max out your inventory size for that time, and give a 50% melee dmg buff for 10 mins too. One mod I play darkness falls, had a quest to collect 40 coffee beans, which nets you 1 Super coffee and the recipie to make more. Recipe was 10 coffe beans and a bottle of water, the buff was the normal coffee buff except it lasts 30 real life minutes. Coffee in a17e I think lasts 2 minutes? its almost not worth using due to how little you can actually get done in 2 mins. Should be upped to at least 5 minutes imo. Don't get me started on beer with its 30 sec duration. I mostly use beer as vendor fodder now as the buff is so short its not worth using.

That is not my issue with the temporary buffs. How long they last is a balance issue that should get looked at (not until all features are fully implemented, but still)

No my issue with them is they are completely useless outside of the new perk system, they raise a stat or perk for a short time and thats all, for someone who wont be playing with this fallout clone Leveling system they lose all value as a feature.

No my issue with them is they are completely useless outside of the new perk system, they raise a stat or perk for a short time and thats all, for someone who wont be playing with this fallout clone Leveling system they lose all value as a feature.

So just to clarify your opinion. You dislike the way the game is set up just now but you refuse to use things that allow you to negate it.

That just sounds like obstinacy, imo.

So just to clarify your opinion. You dislike the way the game is set up just now but you refuse to use things that allow you to negate it.

That just sounds like obstinacy, imo.

I myself always use the smart glasses, so I can save 2 perk points in intel, exp bonus on them is nice too.

- - - Updated - - -

A18 i will not even be bothering to play more than likely, its pretty clear that whatever 'direction' TFP are following is not one im going to enjoy (grindig XP and playing a fallout knockoff leveling system is not somthing im ever going to enjoy).

I already did backup a16.4 to an ext HDD but to be honest sticking with an old alpha thats never going to develop further... may as well just give up on the game at this point and lump it in with those early acess projects that were never finished and abandoned.

So you are blaming me for a bunch of changes to the game (resources and crafting being dumbed down) that im specifically here to say im against? Wut?

Iv alreadly stated i dont expect the same level of competence from TFP as a AAA developer so im unsure where you are drawing that conclusion from.

I personally hope people never stop complainig about features getting removed/changed for the worse, if nobody ever complains about everything then it must all be perfect.

Granted we have both said this is pointless becuase TFP will do whatever anyway, but since that is the ONLY thing anyone can do about these changes... no other recourse other than to point out what we dont like and hope TFP take it into consideration.

I dunno, I think TFP is doing far better than Bethesda has been in recent years. They are far better at bug fixing than Bethesda is thats for sure. Fo76 is such a mess as the game has no open modding yet, most of the issues plaguing it a modder could have fixed with a simple mod.

At this point I am happier with less options. It would be hard to test experimental if there were dozens of game startup options, and difficult to discuss balance/changes if we had hundreds of possible setups. After stable, I would hope no options would be added that could have major performance/balance problems, leaving bending the system out of its recommended dose to community Mods and modlets.

Wolfy, we are all fanboys here by definition, yourself included, all interested in a game enough to sign-up on forums and rant and/or rave. I have not found your posts to be particularly constructive negative feedback, more of a doom and gloom "goodbye" letter spread over a dozen threads.

At this point I am happier with less options. It would be hard to test experimental if there were dozens of game startup options, and difficult to discuss balance/changes if we had hundreds of possible setups. After stable, I would hope no options would be added that could have major performance/balance problems, leaving bending the system out of its recommended dose to community Mods and modlets.

Wolfy, we are all fanboys here by definition, yourself included, all interested in a game enough to sign-up on forums and rant and/or rave. I have not found your posts to be particularly constructive negative feedback, more of a doom and gloom "goodbye" letter spread over a dozen threads.

Maybe by your slective definition we are, i most certainly dont consider myself a fan or TFP or 7daystodie (in its more modern implementations, keep removing the things someone likes about a game and they stop liking the game).

Maybe by your slective definition we are, i most certainly dont consider myself a fan or TFP or 7daystodie (in its more modern implementations, keep removing the things someone likes about a game and they stop liking the game).

My selective definition just happens to be the dictionary definition, and I apologize for assuming your gender. But that is just semantics, you can just as easily come across as the fanboy of "how it used to be". The topic is "Options", and its obvious we disagree, but you are just as entitled to your opine as I. My statement is more towards the fact that you are basically spreading "This all sucks, I could only play 3 hours worth, this sucks as well, I am leaving this game, Goodbye 7d2d, Goodbye features I loved, wolfyblah.... blah..... blah....."

Nailed it!

He's obviously very bent out of shape about it and just wants to continue to argue semantics with anyone who will respond to him. There's little to no constructive negative feedback because he just wants to vent.

I get it. There's games I hate after much time with too, and I will go off foaming at the mouth on the forums, but then I say my piece and go away. Check back next update, sometimes have to keep checking back update after update because they continue to suck. (SE/ME anyone?)

That's early access for ya.

Spot on! Finally someone who can say what we've all been trying to say for the last several hours. Maybe Wolfy will listen to this logic because our versions have failed and fell on deaf ears.

Now I know you could say that you could just mod the game but for a majority of your players that seems very difficult and every update they have to do it all over again, which can be frustrating.

Just want to correct this: No longer the case with the A17 Mods folder support and XPATH based modding.

Every one of my modlets should work on b199 to b221 without changes. The only reason they've gotten updates were my own bugs (\xui versus \XUi for Linux/MAC), or adding features (example better logging through creating a purposeful WRN event).

BTW - Now that the menus are XUi based as well, it does open them up to more modification. At least in so far as items with choices can have those lists of choices expanded (where appropriate) (might have done a few that do just that).

Just want to correct this: No longer the case with the A17 Mods folder support and XPATH based modding.

Every one of my modlets should work on b199 to b221 without changes. The only reason they've gotten updates were my own bugs (\xui versus \XUi for Linux/MAC), or adding features (example better logging through creating a purposeful WRN event).

BTW - Now that the menus are XUi based as well, it does open them up to more modification. At least in so far as items with choices can have those lists of choices expanded (where appropriate) (might have done a few that do just that).

Well, that solves that. I wasn't taking XPATH into consideration during the modding discussion. I need to spend some quality time playing with all of that though before I can form a qualified opinion.

Yup and it's because of this I wouldn't be surprised if the A17 Mods end up dwarfing the A16 ones.

It's looking good! At least.... the potential is.

[And that's all the foot-in-the-door a Modder really needs.]

Yup and it's because of this I wouldn't be surprised if the A17 Mods end up dwarfing the A16 ones.

It's looking good! At least.... the potential is.

[And that's all the foot-in-the-door a Modder really needs.]

I've personally enjoyed many of the mods out there over the years. About the most I've done myself is making edits to the XML files directly to tweak or fix a problem I was having or something I didn't like (60 minute death pentalty buff anyone?) Maybe with the new system I'll take the time to start working toward helpful and inventive mods. Not sure where I would find the time considering I already work 40+ hours a week, have a newborn, and juggle playing 7DTD and Old School Runescape. I guess I could only sleep 2 hours a day instead of 5...

I've personally enjoyed many of the mods out there over the years. About the most I've done myself is making edits to the XML files directly to tweak or fix a problem I was having or something I didn't like (60 minute death pentalty buff anyone?) Maybe with the new system I'll take the time to start working toward helpful and inventive mods. Not sure where I would find the time considering I already work 40+ hours a week, have a newborn, and juggle playing 7DTD and Old School Runescape. I guess I could only sleep 2 hours a day instead of 5...

Okay first of all,

A new Baby.

AND

Runescape????

IFNMoNV.gif

Now you've got my attention.

I have permanent nerve damage in my right arm from playing Runescape for seven years.

Hahaha no I'm not bragging.... just saying, I'm one of you.

Also, congratulations on the new baby!

[i'm going to be a Grampa in 8 months and I'm thrilled!!!!!]

Finally yeah I tend to stick to XML edits as well.

[Though... I do go overboard.

When updating from A16.3 to 16.4 it took almost 10 hours to make all my changes.

I hadn't realized till then just how many edits and additions I had made.]

Okay first of all,

A new Baby.

AND

Runescape????

IFNMoNV.gif

Now you've got my attention.

I have permanent nerve damage in my right arm from playing Runescape for seven years.

Hahaha no I'm not bragging.... just saying, I'm one of you.

Also, congratulations on the new baby!

[i'm going to be a Grampa in 8 months and I'm thrilled!!!!!]

Finally yeah I tend to stick to XML edits as well.

[Though... I do go overboard.

When updating from A16.3 to 16.4 it took almost 10 hours to make all my changes.

I hadn't realized till then just how many edits and additions I had made.]

Thank you! But yes, check out Old School Runescape. It's basically Runescape 2007 preserved in all its glory before it all started to go to hell. They're updating it and adding content on a separate development path from RS2/3 based on player polls and forum discussions. And the best part is that you can play your OSRS account on both PC and Mobile. Mobile isn't all that great for bossing or doing high risk quests, but great for skilling. Give it a look. If you like it, send me a PM on here with your char name and I'll add you.

And congratulations on soon becoming a Grampa. I'm hoping I'm still a few years away yet as my son is 17.

Thank you! But yes, check out Old School Runescape. It's basically Runescape 2007 preserved in all its glory before it all started to go to hell. They're updating it and adding content on a separate development path from RS2/3 based on player polls and forum discussions. And the best part is that you can play your OSRS account on both PC and Mobile. Mobile isn't all that great for bossing or doing high risk quests, but great for skilling. Give it a look. If you like it, send me a PM on here with your char name and I'll add you.

And congratulations on soon becoming a Grampa. I'm hoping I'm still a few years away yet as my son is 17.

Oh see... now you need to PM me some baby picks.

I love babies.

I can't, however, go back to RS.

Just like I can't go back to Atlantica Online or any games like that.

My whole family is a bunch of addicts.

I'm the only one who doesn't smoke,drink,do drugs..... but games like that... eeek.

So... I stay away from them now.

I guess you could say I'm a recovering MMORPG addict.

00Nzx3S.gif

Oh see... now you need to PM me some baby picks.

I love babies.

I can't, however, go back to RS.

Just like I can't go back to Atlantica Online or any games like that.

My whole family is a bunch of addicts.

I'm the only one who doesn't smoke,drink,do drugs..... but games like that... eeek.

So... I stay away from them now.

I guess you could say I'm a recovering MMORPG addict.

00Nzx3S.gif

Nothing recovering about me. I started with RS, UO and Diablo back in the 90s, and evolved into Everquest, Diablo 2, EQ2, PWI, Tera, ESO, FFXIV, Forsaken World, Mabanogi, Neverwinter, D3, Path of Exile, ...oh god...I need help :shame:

Archived