A feature we can all get behind... Choice

Odin_the_Mad

Nothing recovering about me. I started with RS, UO and Diablo back in the 90s, and evolved into Everquest, Diablo 2, EQ2, PWI, Tera, ESO, FFXIV, Forsaken World, Mabanogi, Neverwinter, D3, Path of Exile, ...oh god...I need help :shame:

Hahaha!!!

8bYAh5o.gif

Yup you're in full addiction.

Well I'm here if you need to talk.

Here's a kitten to help you forget about all the hours you've lost.

9NbDaiU.gif

I've got no problem with game options being confined to xml configuration, because... Steam Workshop.

I am more concerned about what mechanics will be exposed by xml at Gold.

Will dll hacks be available through Steam Workshop?

Will dll hacks be able to be EAC certified?

Personally, I think parameters for contentious mechanics should be exposed, and not doing so would be a mistake.... but hey... it's their game.

If I can't mod out or mod in stuff that is currently hardcoded only come Gold, well that will be it for me.

At this point it is a wait and see game.

TFP could alleviate some of the angst by being clear about what their intent is... but that's not how they do things. :(

I've got no problem with game options being confined to xml configuration, because... Steam Workshop.

Personally, I think parameters for contentious mechanics should be exposed, and not doing so would be a mistake.... but hey... it's their game.

If I can't mod out or mod in stuff that is currently hardcoded only come Gold, well that will be it for me.

TFP could alleviate some of the angst by being clear about what their intent is... but that's not how they do things. :(

Yea i definitely think that they should open up most of the code to being modified by XML. i think that is where most of the new content is going to be coming from once the game is finally stable. I cant wait until steam workshop becomes available as well.

As you can probably tell by the name of this thread, im a big fan of choice lol. I dont agree with people who say that there is such thing as too much choice, because you can still choose to not modify the game and play it exactly as the fun pimps designed it to be and take advantage of all thier hard work that they put into balancing. For example, if a setting that you choose makes the game totally unbalanced thats on you, you cant blame them for that. They can recommend certain settings and say that this is the way we designed it to play, and you change the settings at your own risk, but its not hurting anyone if you decide to ignore them.

Its like when people get mad at others for wanting to be able to disable zombie digging, they call them all kinds of names and tell them to get over it. But it doesnt actually hurt anyone if they decide to play that way. if it makes you happy go for it. we all have different ideas of what fun is.

I understand that it would not be feasible to make EVERYTHING adjustable through settings of course, but im just saying i would like to see MORE choices than we currently have, and to lean towards more options whenever possible and less toward restricting certain behaviors.

As far as removed features go i understand its hard to keep things up to date but you could include a seperate "legacy features" folder with all the old code from stuff like gun parts and even though they wont work in vanilla it would allow modders to tweak them and bring them back if they choose to put in the work to do so. it cant hurt.

There are pluses and minuses either way really. I personally believe however that the mod community is what will keep this game alive long after TFP have moved on to something else. I mean the mod community did just that for games like Skyrim, so why would 7DTD be any different? Right now this game has a vibrant and active mod community, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon as long as there is creativity and things for people to try. Some mods like War of the Walkers for instance overhaul the entire game giving it a new feel and can extend the life of this game dramatically down the road.

There are pluses and minuses either way really. I personally believe however that the mod community is what will keep this game alive long after TFP have moved on to something else. I mean the mod community did just that for games like Skyrim, so why would 7DTD be any different? Right now this game has a vibrant and active mod community, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon as long as there is creativity and things for people to try. Some mods like War of the Walkers for instance overhaul the entire game giving it a new feel and can extend the life of this game dramatically down the road.

Yeah.

Developers who embrace the Modding community are going to see a much longer life span for their games.

I'd like to see the industry move away from Addict-Whale-targeting Mobile games and Micro-Transaction garbage [Ala EA] and more into this kind of thing.

Fortunately with EA and Blizzard have been taking some really big hits lately that may just happen.

People are speaking out and it's making a difference.

While I agree that having more choices that exist now would be nice, I also feel that there is such a thing as too many choices.

It can really intimidate new players.

So long as the list doesn't get ridiculous and it's in "Advanced" options I might be on board with this.

Agreed, still have a page for basic setting and then under advanced have extra settings for some of the things op listed.

Yeah.

Developers who embrace the Modding community are going to see a much longer life span for their games.

I'd like to see the industry move away from Addict-Whale-targeting Mobile games and Micro-Transaction garbage [Ala EA] and more into this kind of thing.

Fortunately with EA and Blizzard have been taking some really big hits lately that may just happen.

People are speaking out and it's making a difference.

This should absolutely be the case, especially with open-world and sandbox games gaining so much popularity in the last few years.

Nobody kills the goose that lays golden eggs.

Obviously I agree with you, but squeezing every single cent out of a product is where AAA gaming is at. Whether it's pre-order (at a much higher price) extras, DLCs, microtransactions and the like. Money talks, and the suits at the top level and the shareholders don't give a single f*ck as to whether you like the game or not.

Nobody kills the goose that lays golden eggs.

Obviously I agree with you, but squeezing every single cent out of a product is where AAA gaming is at. Whether it's pre-order (at a much higher price) extras, DLCs, microtransactions and the like. Money talks, and the suits at the top level and the shareholders don't give a single f*ck as to whether you like the game or not.

I'm not sure that's where it's at.

Have you seen Blizzard's stock? It hasn't rebounded yet.

Also... EA fluffed up their first quarterly for 2018 and I suspect the last quarter is going to show the truth, they are also suffering from this nonsense.

The people are speaking with their wallets and it's working.

While it's never going to go away, I don't see it being as prevalent as the Corporate A-holes want it to be.

Also regarding your comment about Suits and shareholders not caring if a game is good or not.

Yeah you're right in a sense. They just want profit.

Look at EA, however, and how worried they are about the legislation regarding Gambling in games targeted to minors.

If things like Loot Boxes are made illegal Everywhere [like they already are in New Zealand], EA is done for!

Without the income from FIFA and games like it they are going to go bankrupt.

We've seen bigger companies than EA fall.

I'm holding out hope there will be a happy medium.

Corporate influence in gaming isn't going anywhere, but gamers are active and powerful when united.

Corporations are learning the hard way that we'll only put up with so much.

^^ this. :) this was worth reading the first 2 1/2 pages. Lmao :D

That's how most of us found Alpha 1. Except we just did an internet search instead of trying to make a game with a few people and no experience making games. Hats off to them for pulling it off though.

Archived