Can we fix wandering hordes?

Feycat

I know, rare of me to complain about zombies

BUT

STOP THE PRESSES!

tumblr_m91g0tyGhF1qew6kmo1_500.gif

Please please pretty please can wandering hordes STOP forming outside my base at EXACTLY 2330 every single night. I expect them now and wait for them. Like clockwork, by 000 there I am opening my door to a bunch of wanderers.

Surely we can RANDOMIZE them eh?

200.gif

Loving everything about this post.

Gifs, Canadian flag, and the word Randomize.

10/10

In A17 stable, I'll be looking to boost them massively.

Wandering hordes are my favourite type of zombie, even more so than BM hordes, precisely because I don't know when they'll show up. I want hordes so damned large that I have to make a real decision on whether to combat them, or run like hell, and I want absolutely no warning that they were about to show up.

Unfortunately for me, the BM hordes, whose arrival is precisely known, just don't get my socks rolling up and down.

Wandering hordes are my favourite type of zombie, even more so than BM hordes, precisely because I don't know when they'll show up. I want hordes so damned large that I have to make a real decision on whether to combat them, or run like hell, and I want absolutely no warning that they were about to show up...

I'm liking the sound of that!!

wLcyc8Y.gif

Some really big ones.

I wonder how large you can go ... without too much lag.

Cities might be a small problem.

Wandering hordes are my favourite type of zombie, even more so than BM hordes, precisely because I don't know when they'll show up. I want hordes so damned large that I have to make a real decision on whether to combat them, or run like hell, and I want absolutely no warning that they were about to show up.

Unfortunately for me, the BM hordes, whose arrival is precisely known, just don't get my socks rolling up and down.

I agree. I enjoy the blood moon hordes don't get me wrong, but the random wandering hordes are awesome for sock rolling.

Yeah lucky haha. It was "Oh boy time to drop off this far... oh boy time to go farming again!"

My problem with them is now they don't really do anything. They just stand together about 80 meters away from you most of the time. They don't really roam anymore. It looks like they spawn about 100 or so meters then walk 20 meters and just group up together and stand around. I just don't miss them because they are so broke. You might as well just increase biome spawns if you want more zeds.

My problem with them is now they don't really do anything. They just stand together about 80 meters away from you most of the time. They don't really roam anymore. It looks like they spawn about 100 or so meters then walk 20 meters and just group up together and stand around. I just don't miss them because they are so broke. You might as well just increase biome spawns if you want more zeds.

So you'd prefer them to zero in on you more?

Someone made a Mod for that way back A15.

I'm guessing that could be done in A17 as well.

No, not really. I just want them to keep moving. I'd rather they not be feral or anything - though wouldn't care if they were - might be fun. But, right now - at least on my game - they are broke. Just broke. They spawn - walk about 20 meters and then sit about 80 meters from the base. They don't 'roam'. They don't start at point A - run near the player - and if never spot the player approach some other point far away and despawn. Instead - they are just sitting there by your base until you go kill them all.

What I was saying was - In that case, if that's how they are going to be going forward - might as well just increase biome spawns.

What I was saying was - In that case, if that's how they are going to be going forward - might as well just increase biome spawns.

I tried modding this in for A16 and it caused so much lag while using the minibike I had to scale it back.

There's only so far they can push Biome spawning before it's a problem....and it's not very far.

It should be like a16 was, where they run a near line, past you, then stop and spread out like a dispersing cloud. After a good 10 minutes you'd find them all over the area. That was great fun when you missed their passing, and then found the entire area lousy with zombies. And I love the idea of "quantity grows with GS of target". It'd be cool to go and find something like 45 zombies all playing with cacti out the front door of a desert shack as you're leaving...

It should be like a16 was, where they run a near line, past you, then stop and spread out like a dispersing cloud. After a good 10 minutes you'd find them all over the area. That was great fun when you missed their passing, and then found the entire area lousy with zombies. And I love the idea of "quantity grows with GS of target". It'd be cool to go and find something like 45 zombies all playing with cacti out the front door of a desert shack as you're leaving...

Yeah that does sound fun.

The more I think about Wandering Horde size linked to Horde-Stage the more I like it.

If they don't add it in I'm going to Mod this in.

[When Stable comes out. Not touching anything till then... too many fixes.]

That's how they were in the last A17e release (208? I can't keep track :p) where they'd plow very close to your location in a line, go a bit past you and then kinda spread out.

The problem in A16 was that it was almost impossible to get their attention. We used to have to sprint to get ahead of a horde if we wanted to fight them. Shoot them in the back and you only get the ones you shot - and sometimes not even those!

I loved that the big crowds of zombies would pounce on you if you did something to catch their attention in A17. It added an important factonrthat A16 definitely lacked - caution.

If you see a horde of 10 zombies and engage them... you would do the same with a horde of 20 or 30.

Nothing would change.

I'm... not really sure how that's relevant? Is it bad for me to want to engage them? Isn't that the point?

And no, in the early weeks, especially at night? Staying crouched and hoping they pass by is awesome. I LIKE being tense. I like knowing that the horde might be too big for me to handle.

No one's tense about 3 putrid girls and a fat man.

Archived