Make Zombies Dumb Again!

Pseejunkie

Don't get me wrong I love the new challenges and all the new POI's and perks but the creative building aspects have all been thwarted to say the least I think we can all agree that this was what made 7DTD a real gem. In A17 Zombies now have brains and are able to figure out the least resistant path to you.. now we have to out smart the Z's with mazes and what not . I enjoyed the creative ways of building it didn't matter what type of base you needed to build but now it looks like we have to build bases based on their pathing AI its dull and boring. Z's should have no working brains and are just a ball of muscle I do like the idea that they have this power buff when they are all together that makes sense.. having Z's trying break whatever obstacle in their way to get to you that is a challenge already and what makes the most sense to me. The different ways of Building bases are what made this game a stand out for me. I do hope they scale back that part of the Z's AI were they think too damn much... I truly miss the creativity and underground base building...

I was thinking about this too, but instead of dumbing them down I wondered if it would be possible to implement different AI characteristic and assign them randomly or random with a bias depending upon the zombie. Some examples would be the classic straight at you zombie, another could be a runner that swings in wide left to right arcs as it approaches, another of course the smart zombie that searches for an easier way in (sort of like now but instead of it knowing the fastest way it first has to come in range to actually sense the path), and yet another might be a zombie that stalks from a distance and waits patiently and quietly for opportunity, etc.

Hope they do it to stable. The problem with the AI is that every one zones in on one block making 90% of the base pointless.

So random pathing would me much appreciated.

Also just a thought.

Having our old dumb zombies as regular and a bit smarter feral. And real smart radiated ferals would scale the games difficulty in a interesting way.

I was thinking about this too, but instead of dumbing them down I wondered if it would be possible to implement different AI characteristic and assign them randomly or random with a bias depending upon the zombie. Some examples would be the classic straight at you zombie, another could be a runner that swings in wide left to right arcs as it approaches, another of course the smart zombie that searches for an easier way in (sort of like now but instead of it knowing the fastest way it first has to come in range to actually sense the path), and yet another might be a zombie that stalks from a distance and waits patiently and quietly for opportunity, etc.

Exactly, I was suggesting this for many times long time ago. But the current AI still rocks - it creates a real challenge. But the predictable pattern for all zombies feels incomplete right now.

I agree and disagree.

It's is true that zombies should be generally dump and not figure out exactly the path of least resistance every single time. They should not know the path through a maze before even entering it. They are not good path finders, they have superpowers, because they know things that they haven't seen yet. This is wrong.

I disagree on the fact that now all creativity in building is gone. I actually think that this system could be exploited more than the previous one..

Okay randomness in where they attack yes. But no, god no don't make the zombies dumb again. I know some of you enjoyed the broken AI that gave even insane difficulty a casual walk in the park and minecraft-style stress-free building, but most players (gathered from friends, people on my steam list, and some of the most popular servers I played on in 16) quit playing because there was zero challenge from the main enemy in the game. If you think the game is supposed to be a casual care-free building game, well it wasn't intended to be lol. That was an accident. Not knocking what people enjoy, but the game is surving the zombie horde + open world + tower defense, not build a massive fortress while zombies kinda wandered around and occasionally just died on your massive pit of death or whatever. They should be able to destroy your base, because the game is tower defense... not... build defenses and have the zombies unable to do anything to a wooden wall even while you sit there asleep, watching youtube or afk or whatever.

But yes, bee-lining for a weakspot is a bit much, however, I've build three square wall bases now, and they actually are kinda random ( iguess since everything is even hp wise). Creativity is not gone. Just because you cant build whatever you want and it can repel over 9000 rad wights and an entire company of cops doesn't mean creativity is gone. That was the opposite of creativity really. 16 = build either a 3x3 wood shack or a world wonder and be safe the same. 17 = you have to use your noggin.. or creativity.. to adapt and improvise.

Some randomness or dumb AI would be nice. If the game is billed as being partially as a tower defence-esque game, what is the point of building and traps if the AI is programmed to go perfectly around them every single time.

You survive for 7 days so you can build a defense to attempt to push back against an ever increasing and unrelenting horde. Not put them on infinite pathing loops so they can be dispatched at you leisure.

Or just straight up go for the walls. Be really cool to have horde nights swarm your entire base on all fronts, and if a gap opens the ones in that range (cone?) notice and change path to the broken section.

I think this is what most people are saying.

90% of your base defence is useless if you have 360 defence. That has made ppl to build open paths with directed traps and firepower in a small portion of their base.

I dont think anyone wants the bugged spinning zombies back.

By "dumb" I think most ppl mean what the old zombies was suppose to do. Storm the walls wide and heavy! Not beeline a single block.

Archived