The current state of Land Claim blocks (SP/MP)

ricp

I don't play MP but I'm sure there will be some wondering about this too, but it's primarily SP I'm interested in.

It's not difficult to craft a land claim block (50 stone now instead of 100 steel?) but the area it seems to be offering is pretty small. I have used one on a preliminary small build but not built a dedicated horde base yet (after all there are so many nice new defendable PoIs, why bother?) so I am just wondering what the situation is with land claim blocks, can you combine them and is there any way to increase the coverage if you can't combine them?

I'm a bit surprised that the size the land claim block can cover isn't hidden behind a level gate considering it does seem smaller than before and just about everything else is locked behind levels.

I've checked other people's streams to see how they are dealing with it, but most only use the one.

I don't play MP but I'm sure there will be some wondering about this too, but it's primarily SP I'm interested in.

It's not difficult to craft a land claim block (50 stone now instead of 100 steel?) but the area it seems to be offering is pretty small. I have used one on a preliminary small build but not built a dedicated horde base yet (after all there are so many nice new defendable PoIs, why bother?) so I am just wondering what the situation is with land claim blocks, can you combine them and is there any way to increase the coverage if you can't combine them?

I'm a bit surprised that the size the land claim block can cover isn't hidden behind a level gate considering it does seem smaller than before and just about everything else is locked behind levels.

I've checked other people's streams to see how they are dealing with it, but most only use the one.

If you've checked mine out on my dedicated server, we have just been using my LCB for our POI (hasn't been worth building yet tbh and we are around level 80) and then some surrounding POIs have my MP's LCB in them to keep the riff-raff away lol. We have holed up in the PaperMill in Navezgane. It's up in the snow biome by the School and Police Station just east of Perishton.

Can anyone explain to me what the function of a land block is?

Especially how it relates to single player. Does it keep zombies from spawning in that location?

I pretty much get the gist of the purpose for multiplayer.

If somebody could give me a rundown of the basics, I would really appreciate it.

Can anyone explain to me what the function of a land block is?

Especially how it relates to single player. Does it keep zombies from spawning in that location?

I pretty much get the gist of the purpose for multiplayer.

If somebody could give me a rundown of the basics, I would really appreciate it.

A land claim block will do two main jobs; allows you to pick up placed items, stops zombies spawning nearby.

In A16 a bedroll would keep the zombies from spawning, the land claim block had a bigger coverage area and you could combine more than one at a time (either for separate builds or single big builds).

In A17 a bedroll will not stop zombies spawning, a land claim block has much smaller coverage (9³ - ie: 9x9x9) and that you can only have one so no multiple builds or big ones. It could be that the land claim block works well online with MP, but in SP it seems heavily nerfed.

Okay, idk where you got the 9³ value from, ricp.

On default settings (SP and MP alike), the claim block is covering an area of 41x41 blocks horizontally and the full world height vertically from bedrock to sky within that area. In that regard it works like it always did.

If it's smaller than that, have a look under the "multiplayer" tab of the game settings before you start.

While I don't agree to the change of only one active block per player, the 41 blocks default is sufficient to cover most POI.

@Wigbert

In SP and MP:

1. Sleeper spawn prevention. If placed in a POI, sleeper Zs will not respawn until the claim was turned inactive (and also at least 5 days passed since clearing). A POI has to be fully cleared. I fit wasn't fully cleared and the block was placed, you will still get the sleeper spawns that remained, but none afterwards.

2. Moving place-ables. Applies to all workstations like forge, workbench etc. If you'd place a workbench in an unclaimed area you would not be able to pick it up.

You can not use the claim block to make "wild" workstations in pregen places yours.

additionally in MP:

1. Prevents players not allied to you from placing and picking up blocks like torches. Also prevents them from painting any blocks in the claimed area.

2. Applies a hardness modifier to all blocks in your claimed area that, depending on the setting, can only be destroyed very slowly or not at all by players not allied to you.

Okay, idk where you got the 9³ value from, ricp.

On default settings (SP and MP alike), the claim block is covering an area of 41x41 blocks horizontally and the full world height vertically from bedrock to sky within that area. In that regard it works like it always did.

If it's smaller than that, have a look under the "multiplayer" tab of the game settings before you start.

While I don't agree to the change of only one active block per player, the 41 blocks default is sufficient to cover most POI.

I get it from the visual aid that is shown when placing. I get a white line box of 9x9 (and by assumption, 9 deep?).

I've only placed one once, but watched others place theirs and it's been a fairly common comment. If it genuinely is 41x41 then there is a bug with the visual aid.

The MP settings may be useful for others but I'm more discussing SP.

Now, to be honest, it's not a big deal even if it was 9x9x9. Very little needs moved (in my experience anyway) and I'm sure I could relocate the block if I run into issues (if that still works, it did in A16). In regard to having only one active block, I've not tried but are you able to activate/deactivate blocks depending on the building you are at or does a new block need to be created each time an area is "claimed"?

I appreciate some of this is probably easy to work out by testing. The 9x size seemed awfully small though, hence the question.

Also sleeping bag still prevents spawns.

Currently in MP we've got all of ours protecting our base, since it's on a public server and near trader. Haven't had a problem with other players, but then we've hardly seen any on even aside from the mods.

It's nice with them being cheap now, since if you decide you want to up and move, you just craft and throw down a new one. Don't even need to remove your old one first, it'll go poof. When they were unlimited, they were "expensive" but it apparantly didn't stop people spamming them all over their base or even making bases almost entirely out of them (or so I heard).

I get it from the visual aid that is shown when placing. I get a white line box of 9x9 (and by assumption, 9 deep?).

I've only placed one once, but watched others place theirs and it's been a fairly common comment. If it genuinely is 41x41 then there is a bug with the visual aid.

Now, to be honest, it's not a big deal even if it was 9x9x9. Very little needs moved (in my experience anyway) and I'm sure I could relocate the block if I run into issues (if that still works, it did in A16). In regard to having only one active block, I've not tried but are you able to activate/deactivate blocks depending on the building you are at or does a new block need to be created each time an area is "claimed"?

I appreciate some of this is probably easy to work out by testing. The 9x size seemed awfully small though, hence the question.

Crosspost.

Did you check your settings? Because even in SP, you can adjust MP settings (relevant if you wanted to host friends in your "SP" world). Pretty sure default is 41x41, but I will admit I did not count only eyeballed the visual aid.

You're right the cube shape of the visual aid is misleading, though it does show the right dimensions horizontally for me.

You always have the multiplayer settings available now, even for SP games. Just check the tabs on the top right when you pick your savefile to play or when starting a new game.

E: Ldog beat me to it:P

Also sleeping bag still prevents spawns.

Not for me in SP. I spent the night scaling a high rise PoI, never used a sleeping bag. I got back (~30 in game hours after I left) and zombies had spawned inside the PoI I was using as a (non-horde) base. I had cleared all the zombies from it and they hadn't respawned beforehand, but staying away from it for a while certainly caused them to do so. One even spawned next to my active bedroll.

It's nice with them being cheap now.

It certainly is! 50 stone? Doddle... :)

Did you check your settings? Because even in SP, you can adjust MP settings (relevant if you wanted to host friends in your "SP" world). Pretty sure default is 41x41, but I will admit I did not count only eyeballed the visual aid.

I will check but I've not changed it from default. If @Kam R is correct then maybe it's a bug in the visual aid showing when you place it.

Not for me in SP. I spent the night scaling a high rise PoI, never used a sleeping bag. I got back (~30 in game hours after I left) and zombies had spawned inside the PoI I was using as a (non-horde) base. I had cleared all the zombies from it and they hadn't respawned beforehand, but staying away from it for a while certainly caused them to do so. One even spawned next to my active bedroll.

Well it's still "supposed" to iirc. Never sure about anything with spawning. Sometimes you think something literally spawned right on top of you, but it spawned some distance away and silently ran up and started biting your ass, and yes, you really did have your back turned for longer than you thought. Other times you notice that something really did spawn right on top of you.

High rise POI though, I haven't hit one yet in A17, I'd imagine there are a hell of a lot of seperate sleeper spots are you 100% sure you got them all? Since the LCB is cheap I've taken to ditching it as soon as encumberance hits, so depending how the looting has gone on the way to hunkering down for the night I may or may not have it. If I have it I plop it down, if not I don't bother making a new one (in SP of course) I want to say sleeping bag by itself has prevented spawns for me - but I can't be sure I just wasn't camped out long enough to find out.

Well it's still "supposed" to iirc. Never sure about anything with spawning.

It wasn't a big deal. I ended up coming back, fought a wandering zombie outside which noised up some on the inside of the building (like all sensible people all the doors were removed and the "pathable" openings blocked up). I got inside and sure enough 5 or 6 had woken, while there were another 3 or 4 spawning in the corner (Blair Witch style). The high rise was close(ish) but maybe it's to do with loaded and unloaded chunks?

High rise POI though, I haven't hit one yet in A17, I'd imagine there are a hell of a lot of seperate sleeper spots are you 100% sure you got them all?

Laggy AF, to be honest, but other than that, quite fun and pretty easy - even though there were several floors filled with ferals. The new AI is clever but it's not that clever. I was using nothing more than a compound bow and stone arrows, a reinforced club and an SMG for that panic moment. Looked a bit like a tall thin hotel, but didn't have a sign outside (or not one I noticed). Maybe 8-10 floors?

In A16 you'd be looking to clear something like that within the day, but despite starting about lunchtime I was only half way up come nighttime (22:00 on my settings). I literally had to lead a set of ferals out onto a ledge and whack them off (oo-er missus!). Quite fun as ferals really don't like ledges and it was pretty easy to funnel them out.

I went up the building as the devs had intended, I think I only broke one door and used a couple of frames to bridge a gap.

Edit: Just re-reading your post. The high rise PoI and the place I had my bedroll were different places. Perhaps 700m away? If you are American, say a couple of blocks distance.

You could build a wall out of LCBs, but only by placing one then run into another region place one there and then run back to place the next, rinse repeat.

If you stay in the same region the last block you placed will degrade to 1hp.

So kind of an exploit, if you have the patience and stamina for it?

Should be fixed regardless.

Archived