Has anyone else been unable to cure infection by any means?

Limdood

So I've played 4 different games, 2 modded with vulture damage and zombie block damage reduced, and 2 completely as-is.

I've been infected 2 times by zombies.

The first time, I took herbal antibiotics in stage 1...no effect whatsoever. I took regular antibiotics in Stage 2...I get the "antibiotics" buff, but it does nothing to the infection, which proceeds to stage 3 and makes the game essentially unplayable, so I limp to my roof and jump off twice to die. Despite the tooltip telling me to use antibiotics to cure it, neither worked at all.

The second time, I had 2 herbal antibiotics on me when i caught the infection (before stage 1...the debuff is just called "infection" and lowers max stamina to 80)...i took one in the inventory...no effect at all. I thought, maybe its bugged how its used? So i put the other on my hotbar and used it with left click...no effect at all. I make it back to my base and take a regular antibiotic...Same as before...i get the antibiotics buff, but no removal of the infection.

Is it just me? I searched the bugs section and saw nothing about antibiotics or infections.

FYI, This is in regards to the "infection" disease contracted from zombies...NOT the "illness" debuff that says "you feel something coming on" (although i get that all the time and 90% of the time the debuff just ends with no effect)

So I've played 4 different games, 2 modded with vulture damage and zombie block damage reduced, and 2 completely as-is.

I've been infected 2 times by zombies.

The first time, I took herbal antibiotics in stage 1...no effect whatsoever. I took regular antibiotics in Stage 2...I get the "antibiotics" buff, but it does nothing to the infection, which proceeds to stage 3 and makes the game essentially unplayable, so I limp to my roof and jump off twice to die. Despite the tooltip telling me to use antibiotics to cure it, neither worked at all.

The second time, I had 2 herbal antibiotics on me when i caught the infection (before stage 1...the debuff is just called "infection" and lowers max stamina to 80)...i took one in the inventory...no effect at all. I thought, maybe its bugged how its used? So i put the other on my hotbar and used it with left click...no effect at all. I make it back to my base and take a regular antibiotic...Same as before...i get the antibiotics buff, but no removal of the infection.

Is it just me? I searched the bugs section and saw nothing about antibiotics or infections.

FYI, This is in regards to the "infection" disease contracted from zombies...NOT the "illness" debuff that says "you feel something coming on" (although i get that all the time and 90% of the time the debuff just ends with no effect)

From what I can tell, infections seem to pass on their own pretty easily. This could be a broken mechanic that will be addressed in future builds, but for right now, infection is a minor nuisance that doesn't slow you down too much.

Herbal antibiotics are broken in the current build to a typo in the xml.

Other curatives no longer immediately cure an affliction, they have a chance over time to cure it. This effect is invisible, but remains until either the affliction is cured, or becomes incurable (eg, you take honey for Infection 1, but it progresses to stage 2 and can't be cured by honey anymore).

This is the case for dysentery, infection, and food poisoning. I've seen mention of pneumonia as well.

From what I can tell, infections seem to pass on their own pretty easily. This could be a broken mechanic that will be addressed in future builds, but for right now, infection is a minor nuisance that doesn't slow you down too much.

Yeah. It doesn't seem like much of a threat at all right now. Cuts your stamina cap down for a few minutes, then poof you're healed. Similar story with that "illness" thing. I don't understand the point of it. Made me wonder how it is actually supposed to be like. Because this can't be it.

I thought at first the illness would be the first stage of an ongoing infection thing, but it just poofs.

Herbal antibiotics are broken in the current build to a typo in the xml.

Other curatives no longer immediately cure an affliction, they have a chance over time to cure it. This effect is invisible, but remains until either the affliction is cured, or becomes incurable (eg, you take honey for Infection 1, but it progresses to stage 2 and can't be cured by honey anymore).

This is the case for dysentery, infection, and food poisoning. I've seen mention of pneumonia as well.

That seems terribly unintuitive... Is this described this way in game at all? Can't load the game rn, will check later if no reply.

Yeah. It doesn't seem like much of a threat at all right now. Cuts your stamina cap down for a few minutes, then poof you're healed. Similar story with that "illness" thing. I don't understand the point of it. Made me wonder how it is actually supposed to be like. Because this can't be it.

I thought at first the illness would be the first stage of an ongoing infection thing, but it just poofs.

I'm thinking it's an in-work mechanic they haven't completely balanced yet for release. I'd expect to see it go into full effect soon, so keep saving those antibiotics. I think I'm up to about 200 now so I could pretty much cure AIDS on my guy as it stands.

The 'you feel something coming on' can be a fakeout stage. There's no guarantee a stage 0 infection will progress to stage 1. You ARE infected, but stage 0 is harmless, but fair warning that you may need medical attention within the next minute or so.

There is also a chance you may recover from Stage 1 afflictions as well. I can't find anything that gives a value for "@illnesschance", and whether it varies from affliction to affliction.

This is basically an immune response simulation, and a rather cute one at that.

The 'you feel something coming on' can be a fakeout stage. There's no guarantee a stage 0 infection will progress to stage 1. You ARE infected, but stage 0 is harmless, but fair warning that you may need medical attention within the next minute or so.

There is also a chance you may recover from Stage 1 afflictions as well. I can't find anything that gives a value for "@illnesschance", and whether it varies from affliction to affliction.

The You feel something coming on, is when you get hit with any kinda illness, it doesn't always lead to anything, its more of a way to tell you that "hey you might get something be ready." I've had my char cure a stage 1 infection on its own, took a few mins but it saved my rear that game as I had literally nothing to cure it.

The 'you feel something coming on' can be a fakeout stage. There's no guarantee a stage 0 infection will progress to stage 1. You ARE infected, but stage 0 is harmless, but fair warning that you may need medical attention within the next minute or so.(...)

Okay I get that part. Would be nice if the fake out scenario got a message too then. Something like "You feel better". And what's with these super short time spans of all this anyway? Z virus infection used to be a long process going over "7 days to die" and a race for finding a "cure" in a way. This all seems so half assed on so many levels. Sigh.

Okay I get that part. Would be nice if the fake out scenario got a message too then. Something like "You feel better". And what's with these super short time spans of all this anyway? Z virus infection used to be a long process going over "7 days to die" and a race for finding a "cure" in a way. This all seems so half assed on so many levels. Sigh.

I just think it's cool that they are introducing an immune system response feature instead of having your character die from dysentery. What is this? Oregon Trail?

I like the new system, infection was barely an issue A16, had nearly a full stack of antibiotics.

Bit off topic but aren't Vitamins supposed to give +1 to Str, Fort and Agility? (might be another tree can't quite remember)

But after taking them it doesn't do anything, skills don't go up a lvl.

Bit off topic but aren't Vitamins supposed to give +1 to Str, Fort and Agility? (might be another tree can't quite remember)

But after taking them it doesn't do anything, skills don't go up a lvl.

Potentially another currently broken mechanic. Since the old wellness system isn't a thing and the disease system seems to be changing, I guess they had to do something with those vitamins. Maybe it'll all be working on stable release.

Actual infections (not "illness" buff, the "Infected" buff) is far from trivial...

several minutes of 80 max stamina and reduced stamina regen, then several minutes of 60 max and further reduced regen, then several minutes of 40 and further reduced, then it drops to 20....meanwhile your max health drops as well...but the bar doesn't decrease, so you use bandages to raise the max health, only for it to drop again 5 seconds later...

At the end, you can't even really swing a melee weapon, are reduced to a perpetual crawl for movement, and dropped to effective 1 or 2 hits death.

Then you've got the idiotic 60 minute Near Death Trauma to contend with when you eventually die.

If they're gonna keep infection as a chance to cure while on antibiotics, they need to make it super clear....right now NONE of the tooltips on anything provide any clarity...want to raise intelligence? hit the required level! what is the required level? nothing in game will tell you!

Infected? take an antibiotic! They say they cure it! Except that isn't how they work anymore, and there's nothing to indicate it.

I'm already fighting the zombies, wildlife, hunger, and elements....fighting the UI and tooltips is too much.

Actual infections (not "illness" buff, the "Infected" buff) is far from trivial...

several minutes of 80 max stamina and reduced stamina regen, then several minutes of 60 max and further reduced regen, then several minutes of 40 and further reduced, then it drops to 20....meanwhile your max health drops as well...but the bar doesn't decrease, so you use bandages to raise the max health, only for it to drop again 5 seconds later...

At the end, you can't even really swing a melee weapon, are reduced to a perpetual crawl for movement, and dropped to effective 1 or 2 hits death.

Then you've got the idiotic 60 minute Near Death Trauma to contend with when you eventually die.

If they're gonna keep infection as a chance to cure while on antibiotics, they need to make it super clear....right now NONE of the tooltips on anything provide any clarity...want to raise intelligence? hit the required level! what is the required level? nothing in game will tell you!

Infected? take an antibiotic! They say they cure it! Except that isn't how they work anymore, and there's nothing to indicate it.

I'm already fighting the zombies, wildlife, hunger, and elements....fighting the UI and tooltips is too much.

Actually, if you hover over the lock icon on a skill, it'll tell you the prerequisite in a tooltip.

As for the infection, yes, you need to know exactly how that mechanic is working. Maybe I've just been lucky enough to not get an infection, but god knows I've been bled out like a stuck pig on too many occasions to feel comfortable talking about.

Actually, if you hover over the lock icon on a skill, it'll tell you the prerequisite in a tooltip.

The fact that several people are not able to find that (took me a while too) shows that the UI design and localizations are still crap and unintuitive af. I hate these guessing games of trying to figure out what exactly a buff or debuff influences.

I'm guessing infection isn't "in" right now? I have yet to get anything besides the "you feel something coming on"

Even food poisoning doesn't seem to do anything.

As far as vitamins (and all stat buffing items) it doesn't seem like they work most of the time because they won't raise you past the level cap, but they do actually work. Like I died yesterday and my int stayed, because the nerdy glasses kicked in at that point.

The fact that several people are not able to find that (took me a while too) shows that the UI design and localizations are still crap and unintuitive af. I hate these guessing games of trying to figure out what exactly a buff or debuff influences.

Good point. I think it might be mentioned in your journal, but 99% of the people don't read that past their first time playing the game.

The Infection virus used to be a joke and a really pathetic way of dying that was typically reserved for those who didn't want to sucide to get theri stamina back and were too damned by RNG to find any kind of treatment for seven days following it.

Now ANY codition is debilitating as ♥♥♥♥, and Infection in particular is damning and lethal by itself. Between the Infection and your food cap dropping your max stamina, it's extremely possible to be in a situation where you can't swing a tool to save your life in under two minutes I can't even stand next to a forge without getting a 'too hot' debuff and my strength dropping.

Archived