Zombie loot removed to keep people from intentionally farming zeds, but xp IS loot

Limdood

Then they should just shut up if people don´t like things due to the fact they don´t know the big picture, that´s not happening tough, you get critized into the ground for not liking things.... @crazy.

Trust me I understand. I also know it isn't everytime but a good portion of it comes from the way people go about it and I'm nowhere near perfect some of my post come out bad and sometimes not all ;) do I mean how it comes across or at least how I intended it to.

That's not even funny Roland :upset: We've been down this "Nerf Zombie EXP Drops" road before and I think most of us remember how demoralizing that was.

Remember that looting Zs was a massive waste of time and prevented you from looting actual POIs.

I'm not going to miss it, I'd rather have a jackpot loot once in a while then whooping nothing 80% of the time and trash 19% of the time.

Remember that looting Zs was a massive waste of time and prevented you from looting actual POIs.

I'm not going to miss it, I'd rather have a jackpot loot once in a while then whooping nothing 80% of the time and trash 19% of the time.

I'm not complaining about that part. The loot is honestly fine. I feel like I actually get more stuff now, and often what I'm looking for since POI loot has been buffed all to hell and back. The issue at hand is the absolutely lopsided exp returns from killing zeds vs doing pretty much everything else in the game...except selling loot to a trader maybe...that was pretty lucrative. The point is that if you want to avoid the zeds and focus on stealth looting, base building, crafting, etc, be prepared to be stuck at low levels for a LONG time. I get the whole "risk vs reward" concept and I know that going out hunting down zeds can tend to be risky business and should be rewarded as such, but it can take a significant amount of time, maybe several in game hours, of chopping rocks/wood, crafting, mining, etc to get the same amount of exp a zed slayer can achieve with one well placed arrow. This is the main complaint of many in the community right now, as it pretty much pigeonholes you into actively hunting down zeds if you want to progress at any decent rate at all.

I like the new zombie loot mechanic except for one thing.....those rare (and usually good) loot bags despawn too quickly. The nice thing about the gore blocks was that you could go collect the loot in them the next day or even days later, if you couldn't be bothered. Now you have mere minutes.

Trust me I understand. I also know it isn't everytime but a good portion of it comes from the way people go about it and I'm nowhere near perfect some of my post come out bad and sometimes not all ;) do I mean how it comes across or at least how I intended it to.

Well if people don´t insult you directly, a good businessman will just ignore it and go on talking about the importnant things. Instead of making a fuss about how people react.

If you have problems that people cry out loud (ofc, without insults), gaming development might not be the ideal job.

It should also be noted that this problem didn't really exist in A16. In A16, I mined, and I got better at mining, I built, and I got better with construction tools, etc. My skills progressed naturally, and doing things made you better at those things. Was it grindy? I guess, but it was intuitive.

Notably, If my friend LIKES building and mining, and chooses to do those things, while i kill zombies - suddenly i'm better at the things HE wants and chooses to do. Killing zombies makes me better at other stuff then the people that choose to do those other things. Since XP is now the ONLY progression mechanic, something that gives 20x more xp than any other activity makes me 20x better at doing EVERY activity.

Kill zombies to learn how to swing a pickaxe better?

Kill zombies to learn how to boil an egg?

Kill zombies to learn how to heal my injuries?

Kill zombies to learn how to smelt steel?

Kill zombies to learn how to haggle for better prices?

Kill zombies to learn how to deal with hot and cold?

Kill zombies to learn how to more efficiently dismantle a car?

Look. I LIKE being able to advance my noncombat skills with combat...it means that unlike in A16, I don't have to work so hard on upgrading blocks to get construction tools to a certain threshhold just to be able to make iron weapons...I can just kill some zombies and spend the XP.

But adding this feature for the combat people left the people who PREFER noncombat (They still do it...no one who has zombies on in this game DOESN'T fight at all) WAY WAY behind.

In A16, I had to fight to be better at fighting, craft to be better at crafting, mine to be better at mining, loot to be better at looting.

In A17,

I can fight to be better at fighting, and fight to be better at not-fighting

My friend can not-fight to make no progress at fighting, and not-fight to make no progress at not-fighting

It should also be noted that this problem didn't really exist in A16. In A16, I mined, and I got better at mining, I built, and I got better with construction tools, etc. My skills progressed naturally, and doing things made you better at those things. Was it grindy? I guess, but it was intuitive.

Notably, If my friend LIKES building and mining, and chooses to do those things, while i kill zombies - suddenly i'm better at the things HE wants and chooses to do. Killing zombies makes me better at other stuff then the people that choose to do those other things. Since XP is now the ONLY progression mechanic, something that gives 20x more xp than any other activity makes me 20x better at doing EVERY activity.

Kill zombies to learn how to swing a pickaxe better?

Kill zombies to learn how to boil an egg?

Kill zombies to learn how to heal my injuries?

Kill zombies to learn how to smelt steel?

Kill zombies to learn how to haggle for better prices?

Kill zombies to learn how to deal with hot and cold?

Kill zombies to learn how to more efficiently dismantle a car?

Look. I LIKE being able to advance my noncombat skills with combat...it means that unlike in A16, I don't have to work so hard on upgrading blocks to get construction tools to a certain threshhold just to be able to make iron weapons...I can just kill some zombies and spend the XP.

But adding this feature for the combat people left the people who PREFER noncombat (They still do it...no one who has zombies on in this game DOESN'T fight at all) WAY WAY behind.

In A16, I had to fight to be better at fighting, craft to be better at crafting, mine to be better at mining, loot to be better at looting.

In A17,

I can fight to be better at fighting, and fight to be better at not-fighting

My friend can not-fight to make no progress at fighting, and not-fight to make no progress at not-fighting

All good points. As I mentioned before, the only real workaround I see is to turn the exp sharing radius to max. That way while you are out killing, he's building your base and harvesting resources, all the while getting leveled by your kills. You kill zeds and clear POIs for loot, and he uses that stuff and the stuff he gathered to build a safe and cozy base for you to come back to and regroup. He also provides you with vehicles, ammo, armor, food, and medical supplies. Mutually beneficial arrangement.

All good points. As I mentioned before, the only real workaround I see is to turn the exp sharing radius to max. That way while you are out killing, he's building your base and harvesting resources, all the while getting leveled by your kills. You kill zeds and clear POIs for loot, and he uses that stuff and the stuff he gathered to build a safe and cozy base for you to come back to and regroup. He also provides you with vehicles, ammo, armor, food, and medical supplies. Mutually beneficial arrangement.

The only legit work around is to buff the crafting/building/material farming XP back up in A17 stable.

I've been saying this all along. Don't make it as good as zed hunting to maintain risk vs reward, but at least make it viable.

Why not as good? Players doing different activities with the same intensity should be at the same level. In A16 mining xp was too much, now in A17 experimental(!) zombie xp is too much.

What I would prefer would be no zombie xp at all. Scavengers would get xp from looting boxes, miners from digging...

Why not as good? Players doing different activities with the same intensity should be at the same level. In A16 mining xp was too much, now in A17 experimental(!) zombie xp is too much.

What I would prefer would be no zombie xp at all. Scavengers would get xp from looting boxes, miners from digging...

You mean the way it was before A17? I can't say I disagree, but zombie kills should grant some exp. Again, it's risk vs reward. I think all areas of the game should be rewarded based on risk. Killing zeds should give more exp than looting, looting should give more than mining, mining should give more than sitting in the base crafting and so on. Basically the less chance you have of having your ass chewed off, the less exp it should grant. This being a survival game at its heart, things that put your survival in jeopardy should almost always have a better payoff than sitting behind walls safely making stuff.

I like killing zombies...

Everything should give xp so you could chose how to play the game.Skills should go up by doing that action, not by spending points, with a few perks with points and gating to avoid spam crafting and things like that...

Archived