A17 Base designs: Share your base!

themirror

Hello folks,

A few players posted on bug report that Z's passing by the 50 pillars (my whole base until A16 is based on that) as a bug.

Assuming that is intended, which base designs are the best?

Actually i've fortified a POI with smashed cars surrounding it and placed a lot of spikes everyhere and it holded the 1st bloodmoon horde, but i'm curious about your base designs. So, let's share them!

I've got a couple more days to finish my 2m-thick flagstone fort (hopefully upgraded to cobblestone in time) surrounded by wood spikes. I converted one of the collapsed corner POIs to save materials. After watching the streamers get rekt, I'm seriously considering a separate base for horde nights, so that if it gets destroyed I won't lose all my precious loot.

Also thinking about a crafting/storage base deep underground, with a compact, defensible surface outpost just for horde nights (and a bedroll in a third location to avoid a cascade of failures).

I assume that it is inevitable that they do significant damage, especially considering that they have lowered the power of the barricades. (I completely disagree)

Then I will make a solid structure and replace the pillars that are breaking.

The best block to do this would be the pillar100 since it allows access to the inner blocks and shoot between them.

It works!

Tbh I would have been out of ideas without Brykx's idea.

From what I've read about the new AI in a17 zombies are taking the way of least resistance etc., which makes me wonder how path lenght, turrets etc. are taking into account and if a kind of tower defence base layout will be possible.

Will something like this "work"?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25254[/ATTACH]

I did some upgrading and tested in A17e and it works. It's kinda messy because of all the electricity going on, but bear with me. 20181121105349_1.thumb.jpg.784838b227d4f21898901df3ebd16d25.jpg

Basic concept is

1) 2-3 block thick walls everywhere

2) Tunnel: Random zix-zax pattern. 2 Wide, 4 high and sealing! Otherwise they will stack up and jump over the walls.

3) Add traps and autoturrets depending on the gamestage. I had 6 main turrets and 4 as backup at the door.

Tested GS 450, 7day horde (300lvl, normal difficult). Turrets used total of 5000 rounds and backup turrets activated maybe 7 times. No structural damage at all!

20181121112524_1.thumb.jpg.17b6cb6e7cd1e504300254bf40129035.jpg

Recommending 1-way shooting gaps. Cops can't puke through and zombies keep following the tunnel.

I started off with surrounding my house (current base) with wooden spikes around the perimeter and another set 1 block in the ground. So far single zombies can't handle it, although i am waiting for a horde to march through this.

Apart from that, i build a small kill-pod with flagstone pole placed horizontally in a few levels all around and some pillars on the corners. The same rows of wooden spikes around for initial defence. This will be for my first 7 day horde, but a horde of dogs went down quite easily (ambushed me while i was finishing the top layers).

My only concern is that the spikes will get destroyed fast, but will take a few Zs definitely. My hunting rifle, bow and club will do the rest hopefully.

Early on I tend to surrounded my base with a flagstone wall surrounded by woodlog spikes, I find that this set up works really well on for the first couple of hordes. Of course it takes a while to get set up (4 - 5 days).Then I usually end up putting another wall two blocks out from the first wall’s log spikes. I then have an inside to a much larger wall which I can fill with log spikes. After that I usually upgrade everything quite a bit then spring for a moat on the inner area of my walls (behind the first wall I built). I dig this most then fill it with log spikes then put yet another wall past that most. Then I usually upgrade it and add more walls and spikes on overtime. I have had no problems with a set up like this.

Early on I tend to surrounded my base with a flagstone wall surrounded by woodlog spikes, I find that this set up works really well on for the first couple of hordes. Of course it takes a while to get set up (4 - 5 days).Then I usually end up putting another wall two blocks out from the first wall’s log spikes. I then have an inside to a much larger wall which I can fill with log spikes. After that I usually upgrade everything quite a bit then spring for a moat on the inner area of my walls (behind the first wall I built). I dig this most then fill it with log spikes then put yet another wall past that most. Then I usually upgrade it and add more walls and spikes on overtime. I have had no problems with a set up like this.

That's an A16 tactic because there are no log spikes in A17.

See this is why we're discussing new tactics.

Trying to figure out what works with the new system.

I found if you make a symetric base you have to keep moving around so the tracking changes and the zombies don’t hammer one spot too hard.

but they will hammer one spot harder, eventually. Spikes are just too easy to destroy and barbed wire does not do so much damage.

My strategy so far (my 1st save with a fortified camp/fortress/little scrapyard poi with walls was history for now :/) is a set of 50 and 100 pillars making a cage, intercaled rows of spikes/barbed wire, a flagstone wall 3 blocks high (just the center block upgraded to cobblestone because i don't have resources for now) with a barbed wire on bottom block and spikes on center top on both sides and a aditional row of spikes and barbed wire. It survived the 14 day horde on warrior, the wall colapsed around 2am and I managed to defend the base until the end.

Just posted a 35 Day x 64 Zombie Blood Moon. Went pretty well. Little damage to base. No cheats used in the killing of these Z's! I use Simple UI Modlets which are awesome! Also use RussionDood's Stack Size increase which is also awesome! This base should serve well into the future with some upgrades. I thought I had the mic set up as I was commenting along the way but alas it was not to be. Sorry!

• 4 months later...

Archived