Base Designs

gfoster610

Hey All,

Just finished creating a base document for myself, and thought I'd share. I found the original idea on the Steam forums and haven't tweaked it too much, but still enjoy the design.

base.thumb.jpg.086e399bef02f6aeb299dcac28671258.jpg

Basically it's a floating base with a 3X3 spike pit below. The pit itself is 5 blocks below ground level. On blood moons, I tend to fill the pit area with wood spikes, and wood spikes around the supporting poles. As I progress, I put blade traps around to help things along.

I added more internal poles in the house part so I could put a farming area on the roof.

What I really like about it, is how easy it is to stand over the pit and kill the zombies. Sometimes, they climb up the walkway with the drawbridge, and I can just kill them from the killing floor as well.

base1.thumb.jpg.d4eaa8180a906e8287e8f820f45bad56.jpg

Looks cool.

So you've tested this?

Seems to me like this would create a lot of missed loot.

How do you deal with bodies piling up?

[Just curious]

I'd love to see some video footage.

I'm always fascinated by all the different ideas and designs people come up with.

Many times I've seen things I never would have tried and I've been pleasantly surprised but the effectiveness.

This is my base design since ever... it's simple, it's safe and still working nicely.

The pillar 50 does not let the Z's reach you and you can hit them.

You can expand the spikes areas according to the game progression

base.jpg.fbc221a78c9bf3b4effac404e4738305.jpg

btw, which software/app you used to draw those sketch? draw.io?

@LuckyStar - This is my go to base, and yep it's been tested quite a bunch. I never really thought about the loot aspect of blood moons.

When I first started playing, I would reinforce a house, build outside walls and barbed wire. After blood moons, there was so much to repair that it would take a good chunk of the next day to repair and clean up. Also, they would be spread all over the walls during the blood moon. When I went looking for base designs, I was looking for something that would funnel them all into one area to make the killing easier. So, never really thought about loot.

I can link the original guys youtube video:

He walks through his design and I think he even has a blood moon at the end. Also, the inside of my base is very different from his. Mine is very minimalist.

@themirror - I did the document during downtime at work, so I used Visio. :) Nothing like professional diagramming software.

So .... had a look at the video.

Design seems efficient and safe for killing.

Pretty fun to play too I would imagine.

Not the best for loot but then.... very little upkeep either so... kinda six and one half dozen.

I'm thinking that with A17 coming and zombies having little to no loot, designs like this might become more prevalent.

Something that doesn't requite a lot to build or maintain but does the job.

Heck I might even go with that Forum Whore Guppy's design.

Basically a small pyramid with a slot in the middle you can shoot and hit from.

I think he can build the thing by day 4 and it will last as for as many days as you want to play.

I can't wait for you guys to try these things in A17...

Oh come on...give us a little more than that. What AI changes are being introduced that will make air gap bases ineffective? If we can't play A17 at least give us enough for us to theorycraft new base designs for A17!! :)

Please!!

Oh come on...give us a little more than that. What AI changes are being introduced that will make air gap bases ineffective? If we can't play A17 at least give us enough for us to theorycraft new base designs for A17!! :)

Please!!

They've already said that the Z's will target the support structure.

Interesting...... alluding to the fact that zombies will now attack support structures.

You know, Roland, that also means they'll fall for the staircase traps more easily then right?

Think I'll prepare a design in anticipation for that.

Watch them get cardio all night while they fall onto lit fires over and over.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see. This build has 20 support beams holding up the killing floor and the house above. There's the center poles and then 4 regular poles in each of the corners. Even if they got quite a few, I'm hoping that the structure would still stand.

I still go with my usual plan of wood spikes in the pit, wood spikes surrounding the support beams, and then 8 blade traps placed near the supports. I haven't taken this base to a high day count yet, but it will be interested to see. I have had this base attacked by spider zombies and radiated cops. I just have to get to the cops before they puke on the supports.

seriously, when the "floating base" with the center Spikes below it won´t work anymore, I will be in very happy trouble...

I spend so many nights ontop of something like that and thought, welll too easy.... but hey I am too lazy and it works...

how about dwelling under the spikes... was in A 16 a little bit difficult to build, i had problems with placing the spikes... but with first spikes than dig it worked....

4939320AC8316F664C3CB2A681055C93AF39875B

you can loot through the small space between the spikes and repair them from underground

a small fortification i realy like

2EDBDE15438732A33C1D376895BC026A641A79C1

yeah but how far out, 7 x 7 I can see that if you are in the center, but what about a 10 x 10 reinforced concrete?

We won't know until we try it.

Sorry for the delay to answer....

I've tried a 11x11 actually, there is no significative difference, but you need more resources and on later hordes if you put some auto turrets (I place one on each corner above the top) they will miss a few Z's, so you need 4 more turrets.

Every game I've played in this base design I've never needed to upgrade anything to steel

Archived