Waiting for A17: Game Suggestions?

CplCritter

So... I rarely buy games and I'm thinking about picking up another Early Access game to play while waiting for A17/along side 7DTD. I've realized there are many space/galactic survival, exploration games out there now so I'm thinking of either Space Engineers, Empyrion, and No Man's Sky (not EA anymore). I've watched reviews and having a hard time deciding. Anyone play these games and can help me break my triple tie?

I will be all about 7DTD again once A17 is out, but I want some variety and something to help pass the time.

So... I rarely buy games and I'm thinking about picking up another Early Access game to play while waiting for A17/along side 7DTD. I've realized there are many space/galactic survival, exploration games out there now so I'm thinking of either Space Engineers, Empyrion, and No Man's Sky (not EA anymore). I've watched reviews and having a hard time deciding. Anyone play these games and can help me break my triple tie?

I will be all about 7DTD again once A17 is out, but I want some variety and something to help pass the time.

Of the three, Empyrion has took most of my time. If there was only 5 days remaining before A17-E, I would recommend Raft, if you play it the way I do. Like 7D2D, I will envariably make HUGE bases and have more chests of resources than I will ever need (except shotgun shells).

Here is my "raft": :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24921[/ATTACH]

Edit: I forgot, to get 5 days out of it, so far, you need to play all three difficulty settings! Oddly the first play through on Easy mode was the hardest. Still EARLY access...

I haven't played the other two but No Man's Sky NEXT update finally made the game playable & enjoyable for me. I've had it in my library since launch and tried to get into it a few times through the past couple of years but something about it always felt off. I just felt like a disembodied laser slowly disintegrating the worlds around me. The introduction of 3rd person & the graphical updates have really hooked me now(not to mention all of the other updates to base building, vehicles, etc.), and if you're into playing multiplayer hey it has that now too. Make sure to check our nexusmods for some much needs QoL mods & a few very nice graphics mods (no scanlines/abhorring chromatic aberration/no zoom lines while using pulse engine).

Of the three, Empyrion has took most of my time. If there was only 5 days remaining before A17-E, I would recommend Raft, if you play it the way I do. Like 7D2D, I will envariably make HUGE bases and have more chests of resources than I will ever need (except shotgun shells).

Here is my "raft": :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24921[/ATTACH]

Edit: I forgot, to get 5 days out of it, so far, you need to play all three difficulty settings! Oddly the first play through on Easy mode was the hardest. Still EARLY access...

Thanks for the tip, Aldranon. I have seen more and more Raft videos from a few of my favorite YouTubers. It is the same price as Empyrion on Steam so the choice just got harder. Nice raft btw. Looks like you have the good beginnings of a floating city!

I am already drooling over the impending release of A17... just need something to sink my teeth into for a bit to take the edge off.

I haven't played the other two but No Man's Sky NEXT update finally made the game playable & enjoyable for me. I've had it in my library since launch and tried to get into it a few times through the past couple of years but something about it always felt off. I just felt like a disembodied laser slowly disintegrating the worlds around me. The introduction of 3rd person & the graphical updates have really hooked me now(not to mention all of the other updates to base building, vehicles, etc.), and if you're into playing multiplayer hey it has that now too. Make sure to check our nexusmods for some much needs QoL mods & a few very nice graphics mods (no scanlines/abhorring chromatic aberration/no zoom lines while using pulse engine).

Yeah, I have been a bit turned off by No Man's Sky because it got a bad rap for over promising and under delivering (unlike 7DTD :)). It seems people are happy with it after the "Next" update, but I could buy Raft, Empyrion, and The Forest together for the same price as No Man's Sky on Steam... Unless someone has an amazing comparison that changes my mind, I'll probably bypass No Man's Sky for now.

Edit:

Sorry Roland, I hope I'm not taking this too far off topic here. We all love 7DTD and it's play style so I figured this would be a good target audience for my dilemma.

Thanks for the tip, Aldranon. I have seen more and more Raft videos from a few of my favorite YouTubers. It is the same price as Empyrion on Steam so the choice just got harder. Nice raft btw. Looks like you have the good beginnings of a floating city!

I am already drooling over the impending release of A17... just need something to sink my teeth into for a bit to take the edge off.

My feeling is the 27th of August for A17-E. Any later and they might get a bad reputation, which might impact sales on their next game.

If you go for Empyrion get the CV mod called Polaris. Its a beautiful ship but some things need tweaking.

Sorry time delay, i am still busy in "Empyrion" and "No mans sky" universes. But my ship heads toward earth.

Dont want to miss the next zombie apocalypse.

And my crust is fine, the void is good for bread.

So you're done with FO4 then... Kind of a letdown eh?

Like Empyrion is... Sorry if I spoiled it for you ;)

I'm also playing NMS a bit now... They really did change a lot this update.

So you're done with FO4 then... Kind of a letdown eh?

Like Empyrion is... Sorry if I spoiled it for you ;)

I'm also playing NMS a bit now... They really did change a lot this update.

Empyrion is great... it has a lot of room to improve, just like 7DTD. Its not finished. Empyrion is all about crafting / building though.. with a massive rework for PoIs and such... the game could be consistently fun. I do enjoy picking it up here n there and try a new HV / SV / CV

Rimworld is a game alot of my friends play, it seems pretty good fun from what they tell me. Look at some Lets Plays without commentary on Youtube.

Dead Rising, personally my favorite zombie game and the PC port is fantastic. Second one ain't half bad either.

Postal 2 a dark silly fps. Good fun and pretty funny. The only game I know where you can piss on people. The original is much darker with little humor at all, caused some controversy back in the day.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. A MUST. FPS/RPG/Survival game that takes place in Chernobyl. Run around with mutants,bandits, and factions all around. Game can get pretty atmospheric, and even pretty scary. A classic, play on the hardest difficulty since its funnily enough the most balanced difficulty.

Hotline Miami 1 & 2. Personal favorite of mine, its a top down arcade-lite shooter that takes place in Miami, Flordia during the 1980's (early 90's in the second game). Violent, bloody, with an amazing soundtrack that gets the adrenaline pumping. Can be very trippy to, best way to play this game is to try to get the biggest combo possible.

Look up videos, if they seem interesting, pirate them. If you like it, then buy it. What I did for 7 Days to Die, I was bored and saw it while browsing games and thought it was going to be another bad early access survival game. Now I am here with 700+ hours.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived