Recoverable arrows ?

Atrophied

Is there any mention of a chance to recover arrows/bolts from corpses or the ground in a future update ? I hate running out of ammo then having to search far and wide for more feathers etc. Its so very easy to miss shots or turn a zombie into a pincushion before they go down, I have my game modded to produce extra ammo for each craft and I can tell you for sure, I would be bingo on arrows more often than not without it.

If its not, it would be pretty cool if it was put on the to-do list :D

You know? You're the 2nd person to mention this... When I first started I had problems with them too... Then I made it a point to grab each and every birds nest, get chickens (you can actually run up to them and wack them with a club), vultures give them too. But then you've modded the game to give more... Shouldn't be a problem then unless you're not making it a point to grab as many as you can.

I have it moded to make 5 ammo per craft which is a bit nuts at times tbh, but most times the game updates it borks the mods, I wanna play a little more vanilla. I would like to see jars returned too in vanilla. I have it modded to do that as well. Only other thing I can think to make it better in Vanilla is to reduce the loot respawn time, then I can revisit all my birds nests... have myself a route to follow or something, unless they make it so you can start a chicken farm :p

Realistically (yeah, I know, not exactly an issue in zombie survival...) the arrows/bolts are toast if they hit something harder than a hay target. We're talking about hand made, wood shaft arrows, impacting a creature that will be moving, falling, and flailing around. The flights are gonna get squished, the shaft broken, and the head blunted. So sadly no real chance of recovery.

However I swear some seeds are really, really lacking in nests no matter the biome. Those times searching far and wide is the only option :/ That and never, ever passing up the chance for feathers.

I think a survival game needs challenge and one of the challenges is dealing with limited resources. Not being able to spray arrows or bullets indiscriminately means having to think about alternative strategies, which I enjoy. But what works for me may not be your cup of tea so I don't disagree.

I think you should be able to look for used arrows and collect used casings, we do it in real life. Maybe not 100% should be reusable but perhaps 50% of arrows since some will break in use. And 80% of casings? Missed arrows would travel a fair ways so it would be an investment of time finding them so there is a price. But arrows in a zombie are right there, if not broken.

Losing a glass jar every time you make a corn bread also doesn't make sense. I don't like my cornbread that crunchy. :D

But I imagine that one's easily fixable, you can probably mod the cornbread item to return an empty jar when eaten the way a jar of water does when drunk.

Realistically (yeah, I know, not exactly an issue in zombie survival...) the arrows/bolts are toast if they hit something harder than a hay target. We're talking about hand made, wood shaft arrows, impacting a creature that will be moving, falling, and flailing around. The flights are gonna get squished, the shaft broken, and the head blunted. So sadly no real chance of recovery.

Realistically, a 150 grain, (9.5 gram), broadhead should be able to survive a zombie easily. Its robust like a spear tip, thats what it looks like in the thumbs for the items and would be realistically the easiest to drop forge or stone chip in a DIY situation at any rate. Even if only some arrows were recoverable it would be great.

Realistically, a 150 grain, (9.5 gram), broadhead should be able to survive a zombie easily. Its robust like a spear tip, thats what it looks like in the thumbs for the items and would be realistically the easiest to drop forge or stone chip in a DIY situation at any rate. Even if only some arrows were recoverable it would be great.

An iron broad head would definitely survive, stone like flint, chert or obsidian can shatter or at least lose fragments on impact with bone. Heat treated stone makes for easier knapping and better sharper flakes but also makes the stone more brittle.

The arrow shafts would almost all survive impact with the zombie. But then some might break off when the zed falls down, others might be broken by flaring arms, running into walks or being struck in melee. Feathers are pretty fragile, I've seen noticeable wear and tear after a couple if shots with home made arrows. And last arrows from misses have to be factored in. So overall I'd say a 50% recovery rate seems reasonable.

Are you perhaps color blind? The only player I've played with much that had trouble keeping plenty of feathers in stock was color blind and had trouble spotting them. I don't go out of my way to search for them and usually have an extra full stack by the time the first week ends.

Are you perhaps color blind? The only player I've played with much that had trouble keeping plenty of feathers in stock was color blind and had trouble spotting them. I don't go out of my way to search for them and usually have an extra full stack by the time the first week ends.

They might be. But this could also be influenced by their screen size, screen resolution, graphics quality settings, gamma, room brightness, etc.

Nope, not colorblind, I'm usually working on my second stack of feathers by day 7, (with my 5 arrow per craft mod), but I'm a pretty terrible shot with the damn head bobbing most of the zombies do and ammo would be terribly tight with vanilla crafting numbers :p

I go through stacks, 50 arrows at a time sometimes while dealing with wandering hordes and my 4 or 5 screamers a day while working... then theres hunting, I crouch for the sneak bonus but because of the grass height that damn blur kicks in and I often can't zero my target :p

I'm on the side of people saying it's easy enough to obtain arrows, so it's not neccessary. But wouldn't really matter to those people if it was a feature (unless for some reason it affects server performance), so yeah why not.

I watched a vid of a guy shooting fresh carcasses with flint-tipped arrows and was surprised at how little damage was done to them. Some broke for sure, but most weren't. And sure some shafts would be broken if the target was moving, but I would say that at least some number of arrows should be recoverable, with perhaps more as the arrowhead gets stronger.

In most of the modding I do I allow for "feathers" to be made from duct tape and/or scrap plastic (and "stones" to be made of glass, for glass arrowheads) because it bugs me to have to leave the town just for feathers when so many other things could be used.

That said, it's not too long before I have all the feathers I could ever need even when I'm playing vanilla, but I think the early game would be enhanced if a few arrows were recoverable.

I'm nonetheless VERY happy to just see them sticking in the Zs in A17. That's a huge quality of life improvement to me.

I watched a vid of a guy shooting fresh carcasses with flint-tipped arrows and was surprised at how little damage was done to them. Some broke for sure, but most weren't. And sure some shafts would be broken if the target was moving, but I would say that at least some number of arrows should be recoverable, with perhaps more as the arrowhead gets stronger.

In most of the modding I do I allow for "feathers" to be made from duct tape and/or scrap plastic (and "stones" to be made of glass, for glass arrowheads) because it bugs me to have to leave the town just for feathers when so many other things could be used.

That said, it's not too long before I have all the feathers I could ever need even when I'm playing vanilla, but I think the early game would be enhanced if a few arrows were recoverable.

I'm nonetheless VERY happy to just see them sticking in the Zs in A17. That's a huge quality of life improvement to me.

I have a custom recipe to make my arrows and bolts with paper fletching. I did a good deal of reading and that was one of the big ones for common fletching hacks. Some others were duct tape, cloth and glue, animal hair and strips of leather.

I saw recently a survival hacks video where a circuit board from a cellphone was used to make an arrow/spear tip so electronics parts could technically be used as well... Such flavor tweaks though should remain the perview of modding... I'm still holding my breath for workshop support.

I just watched a video with some of the A17 weapon and map features, I am overjoyed that vehicles are coming to the game, hopefully thay have HUGE storage capacity to make a nomadic playthrough a little more possible.

Archived