Do pitfalls still work, to kill most zombies?

Pekiti

I saw a video where someone was testing the distance zombies can fall and survive, and it looked like some zombies (and bears) can fall any distance and still land without smashing their legs and/or dying.

Is this true? Are pitfall bases for horde night obsolete, or do I need to make some significant changes for them to work?

I've built my old style version, which will drop the zeds 40 blocks onto scrap iron log spikes (upgraded to steel). I have two days left before the horde comes to test my design, but i thought i should ask *now* before it's too late to change my mind.

Nurses have 150 HP in Alpha 16.4 vanilla. This is in effect 'the default,' however other female zombies with the same build (Arlene, Marlene, Darlene) have 100 HP. I ran into this making the latest version of ComSenMod, where I overhauled zombie HP values.

I don't see anything that would make them resistant to falls and/or spikes. However, some zombies like cops have their dismemberment thresholds set to zero. That means their arms and legs will never come off, and this may affect how they take damage.

<entity_class name="zombieNurse" extends="zombieTemplateMale">
<property name="Mesh" value="Zombies/zombieStandardNurseRagdoll"/>
<property name="SoundRandom" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemaleroam"/>
<property name="SoundAlert" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemalealert"/>
<property name="SoundAttack" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemaleattack"/>
<property name="SoundHurt" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemalepain"/>
<property name="SoundDeath" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemaledeath"/>
<property name="SoundSense" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Female/zombiefemalesense"/>
<property name="AvatarController" value="AvatarZombie01Controller"/>
<property name="ModelType" value="Standard"/>
<property name="WalkType" value="7"/>
<property name="HandItem" value="handZombie"/>
<property name="CanClimbLadders" value="true"/>
<property name="RootMotion" value="true"/>
<property name="HasDeathAnim" value="true"/>
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="21"/>
<drop event="Harvest" name="rottingFlesh" tool_category="Butcher" count="0"/>
</entity_class>

Pitfalls were nerfed. But not on purpose.

Right now, you can kill pretty much any non-radiated zombie with a deep enough fall.

But rad wights/rad cops can survive. And the second way to handle them at the bottom (turrets) has gone through a change from 16.2/3 and 16.4, and no longer track targets that fall down more than 20-30 blocks (inconsistent). So in 16.2 and earlier you had a deep fall trap to kill all but the toughest zombies, and then used turrets to mop up. Now you can't do that, and a bunch of rad cops at the bottom is gonna do some serious harm :p

It's as if the turrets motion tracking fails to recognize entities who come within range, if they were too far away when they fell. The turrets never engage, until some other factors (chunk border movement?) comes in and refreshes the turrets targeting. Weird to be sure.

/V - Wireless Electricity Mod - No more wire clutter!

Log spikes turned upside down do work. They do the same damage no matter how they are placed.

People turn them upside down so the zombies are on a flat, even surface. Keeps them from bobbing up-and-down when they walk on them, and keeps the legless/crawling zombies from having their heads clip/glitch inside the spikes, which always made getting headshot to finish them annoying to say the least.

Pits are generally bad because those that survive the fall will now be able to dig towards you.

You have to design the pit so it has a solid (ie. concrete) bottom and sides. By the time most zombies are done beating on the concrete they've already died to the spikes they're crawling around on. You do not want to leave your pit sides/bottom as stone. Design it right and they're not getting out.

How would a pitfall trap work with some blade traps on the way down to do extra dmg? And do log spike traps turned upside down do dmg? I seem to see that alot on youtube LOL

If you line the pit shaft with cobblestone/concrete all the way down, and attach blade traps to the side of the shaft walls on all 4 sides , you create a giant meat grinder essentially. Grand Spartan has done this in a few of his videos. Whatever makes it past the grinder and lands in the bottom of the pit is finished off by spikes or you/your friends down there with weapons.

There are a ton of pit design videos out there. Some are really inventive. Have you looked at any of them to see how they work?

- Cletus

It sounds like you didn't watch the same "pit" video as I did where they demonstrate that landing on a gore block works the same as landing on a hay bale. If you don't have some way to clean up, your pit won't work for very long.

My design is concrete walled, with log spikes at the bottom, and I chop up the gore blocks with an axe while I'm killing off the ones that survive the fall. Reinforced concrete takes them a long time to claw through, so I have plenty of time to shoot them (etc) and repair. The real danger is the exploding cops, because they do massive damage fast and they can cause a chain reaction. I use shotgun with slugs, and headshots, for those guys.

The Day 35 horde night just passed, and except for a couple of infected cops and dire wolves (!) it was pretty similar to how I remembered it.

I'm building a pit base for my most recent play through. However I'm not counting on fall damage at all. The pit is 3x3 and every other block on the way down is a blade trap. The blade traps are placed on full pillar blocks that are supported from the sides by plate blocks. This setup basically means that my pit is filled with a column of blade traps. Although now that I'm thinking about it I could fit more blade traps is half of them are placed upside down hanging from a pillar block instead of sitting on top of said pillar.

I started an underground base, main storage and crafting room is over 100 blocks away from the entrance so i dont have lots of sreamers every time i want to go out. The other way from the entrance i plan to build a 3x2 pitfall and place bladetraps on every side with few blocks inbetween, i hope it will work out as to no zombies can stop the fall on the blades. Bottom log spikes and dart traps to finish of any surviving zombies. As i am playing solo, its gonna take some doing tho. And i need more engines :D :D

Speaking of traps and such, can anyone link me to a good video tutorial on how the electrical stuff works now, and traps? They didn't have either, the last time I played, and it's time to try something new for killing zeds.

Speaking of traps and such, can anyone link me to a good video tutorial on how the electrical stuff works now, and traps? They didn't have either, the last time I played, and it's time to try something new for killing zeds.

there is as sticky post for tutorial

I am working on a castle build. My pit is 5 x 91 on each side, about 53 deep, landing on spikes. Most 'normal' things die on impact or as soon as they move.

My experience is that gore blocks really do cushion falls, so I make it a point to put arrows/bullets into them and use the machete to keep the area near my 50% pillars clear.

I made the mistake of putting a few turrets at the bottom, and I can confirm they did not go off. I though about adding trip wires and dart traps, but what a PITA.

My fighting floor surrounds a 3x3 pitfall with 50% pillars, 4 high. I'm going to remove the top pillar segment in the middle 3 pillars of two sides, and install a blade trap upside down on the ceiling, on both sides. This ought to whack the zeds as they fall down past the blades and hit the log spikes (which are inverted to give me a flat floor). Anything that stands on top of dead zeds or gore blocks before I can remove them, gets its head lopped off too. The only danger is that a blade trap will fail and leave a 3w x1H slot missing from the top row of pillars, allowing spiders to escape, if I don't reseal it pronto. I've never done it before, so its worth a try.

Hello guys!

I built a pitfall at bedrock with lots of electric fences, campfires, dart traps for emergency and blade traps at the entry point, and it is very effective so far. We are at day 104 now. Lower zombies and dogs arrive the bottom instantly dead, most ferals and cops are severely injured and easy to kill.

At first, I had some turrets, but they weren't working, too. So I switched them for the dart traps.

Here you can see the installation at blood moon 98:

Prior to our pitfall, we needed hundreds of bullets at blood moon. Now it is some shotgun shells and a few bullets. Repair cost is Iron and some parts.

Greetings

Archived