Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Hey, guess what?

Darkness Falls V5.0.0 STABLE is now released! These are the changes from B28.

Darkness Falls V5.0.0 - Stable Build (Build 29)

(IDC) Updated IDCCore for 21.2 compatibility.
(Laydor) Updated Quartz for 21.2 compatibility.
(Khaine) Updated DF XML files for 21.2 compatibility.
(IDC) Fixed Laser Workbench being unable to scrap items.
(IDC) Added tooltip on mouse over for tool/modifier slots in workbenches.
(IDC) Fixed the RWG patch that forces POI's to respect biome restrictions.
Fixed Titanium Pickaxe having incorrect repair tool.
Fixed Titanium Hunting Knife dropping from the wrong zombies so it was a little too common.
Mostly fixed both bunkers not properly resetting in multiplayer (it's still a little iffy, but a LOT better now).
Disabled muzzle flash on laser weapons that shouldn't have them in the first place.
Adjusted Scrap/Iron/Steel armor recipes.
Increased how long it takes for the rain catcher to generate water as it was flooding areas and causing server issues.
Added a failsafe to remove backpack items when used because apparently the game isn't properly removing them.
Added custom trader lists to Razor, Eve and Anna, who shouldn't have trader lists anyways but you lot found a way to access it.
Added Fusion Rocket (I was bored).
Added PEP pre-generated maps.
Adjusted drop rates of legendary items.
Lowered the amount of armor added by HP ammo so it's more viable against higher level enemies.
Lowered spawn chance of mastery books in air drops.
Changed ranges of Incubi hand items due to potential inability to hit the player.
Changed Lord of Hell to use Empowered Incubus hand item due to reported issue with being unable to hit the player.

Main Download: https://dev.azure.com/KhaineUK/DarknessFallsA21/_git/DarknessFallsA21

Now, a few points because I'm sure people will ask.

1) This is ONLY for A21.2. Not 21.1, or 21.0.
2) "Is it on the launcher?" The XML file for the launcher has been uploaded. You'll see it in the Azure repro there as DarknessFallsA21LauncherFile.xml. You don't need to do anything with it. The file has been passed on to SphereII.
3) I'll sort out a comprehensive changelog between 4.1.2 and 5.0.0 later.

Yes, a new save is VERY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, because that's what TFP recommend going from 21.1 to 21.2.

My 21.1 save works. But NOT restarting is "at your own risk" and you will likely be told to go make a new save if you have issues.

You have been warned.

@KhaineGB

This is my first post; I hope it turns out well!

Hello KhaineGB,

I just wanted to send you a massive thank you for the incredible game you and the team are making! Seriously, it's outstanding. Every detail shows how dedicated you all have been.

It's been a fun escape in my routine. You all nailed it! I can't wait to see what else is coming. Thank you so much for the talent each of you brings and for sharing it with us.

Hugs,

Oscar Teixeira

From Brazil

On 11/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, KhaineGB said:

Hey, guess what?

Darkness Falls V5.0.0 STABLE is now released! These are the changes from B28.

Darkness Falls V5.0.0 - Stable Build (Build 29)

(IDC) Updated IDCCore for 21.2 compatibility.
(Laydor) Updated Quartz for 21.2 compatibility.
(Khaine) Updated DF XML files for 21.2 compatibility.
(IDC) Fixed Laser Workbench being unable to scrap items.
(IDC) Added tooltip on mouse over for tool/modifier slots in workbenches.
(IDC) Fixed the RWG patch that forces POI's to respect biome restrictions.
Fixed Titanium Pickaxe having incorrect repair tool.
Fixed Titanium Hunting Knife dropping from the wrong zombies so it was a little too common.
Mostly fixed both bunkers not properly resetting in multiplayer (it's still a little iffy, but a LOT better now).
Disabled muzzle flash on laser weapons that shouldn't have them in the first place.
Adjusted Scrap/Iron/Steel armor recipes.
Increased how long it takes for the rain catcher to generate water as it was flooding areas and causing server issues.
Added a failsafe to remove backpack items when used because apparently the game isn't properly removing them.
Added custom trader lists to Razor, Eve and Anna, who shouldn't have trader lists anyways but you lot found a way to access it.
Added Fusion Rocket (I was bored).
Added PEP pre-generated maps.
Adjusted drop rates of legendary items.
Lowered the amount of armor added by HP ammo so it's more viable against higher level enemies.
Lowered spawn chance of mastery books in air drops.
Changed ranges of Incubi hand items due to potential inability to hit the player.
Changed Lord of Hell to use Empowered Incubus hand item due to reported issue with being unable to hit the player.

Main Download: https://dev.azure.com/KhaineUK/DarknessFallsA21/_git/DarknessFallsA21

Now, a few points because I'm sure people will ask.

1) This is ONLY for A21.2. Not 21.1, or 21.0.
2) "Is it on the launcher?" The XML file for the launcher has been uploaded. You'll see it in the Azure repro there as DarknessFallsA21LauncherFile.xml. You don't need to do anything with it. The file has been passed on to SphereII.
3) I'll sort out a comprehensive changelog between 4.1.2 and 5.0.0 later.

Yes, a new save is VERY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, because that's what TFP recommend going from 21.1 to 21.2.

My 21.1 save works. But NOT restarting is "at your own risk" and you will likely be told to go make a new save if you have issues.

You have been warned.

Looks like the disappearing/empty zombie-dropped loot bags are back with a vengeance. Where as it used to be about 1 in 10 loot bags would disappear/be empty, now it's closer to every other loot bag.

8 hours ago, CrocoKyle said:

Looks like the disappearing/empty zombie-dropped loot bags are back with a vengeance. Where as it used to be about 1 in 10 loot bags would disappear/be empty, now it's closer to every other loot bag.

Nope. That was fixed and people tested it to hell and back.

The loot file hasn't been changed beyond a tweak to feral nurses dropping titanium gear

HI khaine i have a question on the vanilla game and in darkness fall alpha 20 we can go into the config files and change the amount off skill points per level to 2 3 4 but on the darkness fall mod for alpha 21 we can no longer change that is there a way we can do it  or is there a mod we can install for more skill points.

11 hours ago, wise said:

Looking to get back into DF, is it okay to run a RWG map or do we need pre-gen maps?  I thin kthe last time I played it was pregen only...

Yeah, the RWG has never been better. You can use either the RWG or the pre-gen maps. The RWG should not be a problem for getting all the custom POI's and in their correct biome.

EDIT: BTW, the RWG will include the PEP additional POI's as well. Definitely recommended to play the PEP pre-gen maps or the RWG with them added.

Edited by SnowBee (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Soulblade said:

HI khaine i have a question on the vanilla game and in darkness fall alpha 20 we can go into the config files and change the amount off skill points per level to 2 3 4 but on the darkness fall mod for alpha 21 we can no longer change that is there a way we can do it  or is there a mod we can install for more skill points.

No, you can't. You get plenty of skill points as is. Increasing them would just give you points you can't spend.

15 hours ago, wise said:

Looking to get back into DF, is it okay to run a RWG map or do we need pre-gen maps?  I thin kthe last time I played it was pregen only...

RWG works but you NEED all 4 biomes.

RWG is better (slightly) now with the last update... agreed.  To make 99% sure all of the DF poi's are spawned, you have to have enough space for all the different biomes (as Kaine said).  Anything below 20% each for forest/snow/desert seems to cause creation issues, especially for smaller maps, IMHO.  I used to do 60%+ wasteland biome maps and invariably I'd discover that some essential DF POI wouldn't get generated, or that essential ores rarely were spawned where needed.

What I did see with my most recent RWG map is an overflow of 'Old West Town' regions.  I'm thinking about trying to manually delete them all from the prefab folder before regenerating another map, but I'm scared that RWG will just leave huge empty areas in the towns instead.  

Oh... and is the new/updated QuickStack now DF compatible?

Edited by Lumpus (see edit history)

Heyo,

probably a TFP-thing but interesting and frustrating:

as i had no internet the last days i learned the game ALWAYS crashes shortly after loading savegame sometimes even during loading-screen, when trying to play in offline-mode and spectacularly. crashes whole system, only option then to unplug power, as no inputs registered anymore - no log being added. Playing on manjaro-linux with xfce-desktop.

could somebody on a windows machine test this scenario?

cheers

13 hours ago, SnowBee said:

EDIT: BTW, the RWG will include the PEP additional POI's as well. Definitely recommended to play the PEP pre-gen maps or the RWG with them added.

You can move the "PEP-POIExpansionPack" folder out of the "Mods" folder if you only want vanilla A21 POIs (the DF specific POIs are in another folder, so they'll still be included by the RWG).

Edited by Similar (see edit history)

12 hours ago, ihatetfp said:

Heyo,

as i had no internet the last days i learned the game ALWAYS crashes shortly after loading savegame sometimes even during loading-screen, when trying to play in offline-mode and spectacularly. crashes whole system, only option then to unplug power, as no inputs registered anymore - no log being added. Playing on manjaro-linux with xfce-desktop.

cheers

So... retried with internet connection, tried new saves, different maps, all lead to same total crash. removed darkness falls and BANG - same problem with all vanilla game. my guess now is at the shutdown of the first session on 21.2 b30 with DFALLS 5.0 Stable some game file may got corrupted... Reinstalling the game to test that theory as steam's repair option did not find anything wrong.

4 hours ago, ihatetfp said:

So... retried with internet connection, tried new saves, different maps, all lead to same total crash. removed darkness falls and BANG - same problem with all vanilla game. my guess now is at the shutdown of the first session on 21.2 b30 with DFALLS 5.0 Stable some game file may got corrupted... Reinstalling the game to test that theory as steam's repair option did not find anything wrong.

I've had this problem before... the only reliable fix is to wipe the entire game directory and let Steam re-acquire all files.  Then do a clean DF install.  In A19 this was happening to me often enough that after a new/clean install of everything, I'd make a complete backup to keep on-hand to save time (the next time).  A21 has been nice to me so far.

1 hour ago, Lumpus said:

I've had this problem before... the only reliable fix is to wipe the entire game directory and let Steam re-acquire all files.  Then do a clean DF install.  In A19 this was happening to me often enough that after a new/clean install of everything, I'd make a complete backup to keep on-hand to save time (the next time).  A21 has been nice to me so far.

i tried... didnt help...  appreciate the tip though. just reinstalled whole OS now for the same problem happening in other games + even in browser... after 2 hours of watching youtube it happened. hopefully the problem is now gone

3 hours ago, ihatetfp said:

i tried... didnt help...  appreciate the tip though. just reinstalled whole OS now for the same problem happening in other games + even in browser... after 2 hours of watching youtube it happened. hopefully the problem is now gone

DONE. Reinstalled OS, redownloaded whole game from Steam, nothing changed... that not entirely true... it crashes even faster and more brutally as in i am not thrown to a unusable desktop anymore but instead a black screen - which does not respond to any inputs either anymore... could not try any other games just now, download speed is very limited for me. might even give windows a try IF a memtest doesnt report errors affecting RAM.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:37 AM, ihatetfp said:

Heyo,

cheers

Tested on both Windows 11 and Mac OS, with networking disabled, steam booted into offline mode.

Game works fine. Both vanilla and modded.