How to play with friends

ThatOneMedic

Ok I most likely have not gotten the memo but in older versions of the game you could host a non dedicated server when you play a single player game. So what I'm wondering is that did they get rid of it and I have to make a dedicated server or is my game not working properly. If they did get rid of the single player servers I'm going to need a little help setting up my server that is private and with only hold up to two people. Thanks.

Ok I most likely have not gotten the memo but in older versions of the game you could host a non dedicated server when you play a single player game. So what I'm wondering is that did they get rid of it and I have to make a dedicated server or is my game not working properly. If they did get rid of the single player servers I'm going to need a little help setting up my server that is private and with only hold up to two people. Thanks.

Well, here's what I know... There's single player where you and only you play, but that's not what you're looking for.

Then there's multiplayer - where you can set many preferences including how many people can join and give it a password to help protect it. Select new game, then in mode select MP. I'm presuming this is what you're wanting - sort-a-kind-a... This option lets anyone - or your friend whom has the same version with our without mods that are the same versions play with you. Either you or your friend can 'host' the game. Giving that your friend is a friend in steam they can click on the connect to server button and see your game in the friends tab. Double clicking on your game they then enter the game with the password. This - from your friends point of view would seem like a dedicated server - kind-of... In this setup your client 'becomes' a host server.

But you're actually asking for a dedicated server setup... One way is to install the dedicated server software on your pc, its not recommended because you're running 7D2D (8GB Ram now) on your machine as well as the server (minimal specs)... People do actually do it with some having issues and some not. I couldn't get it to work but later found out it was my ISP that was the limiting factor... Anyway you can either setup an actual computer to act as a dedicated server with the software too and there's a bunch of settings you'll need to adjust. Or you can go on the deep end and rent a dedicated server.

Archived