[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

@JCMONEY, yes, you need to find a book.

@spider, one more thing to consider about the new repairing. I never repaired steel items (tools or armor), because I could always smelt those degraded tools in the furnace and get full amount of steel back. If the new repair mechanic gets implemented (requiring you to make new item each time), then I suggest to make steel cheaper.

You guys are getting stuck on immersion points and not looking under the hood and seeing how this would effect game play. The repair item can be anything I just said the same tool because I don't like adding recipes unless there is a good reason. Getting the main XP for repairing is not the game changing aspect of this. Changing the the path the end goal is on, is the game changer. Why do people feel the need to craft items they dont need(grind)? Because they want to raise their level. Why? Because they want a better quality item! Well with this crafting does not improve your item quality. So instead of making a player grind forever to get to a quality level they want on a Tool or Weapon we will make it much easier to get to the quality level you want because every time you repaired it it would improve by 1 quality level. So after 599 repairs you have a quality level 600 item. Currently the player would have to grind for many real days to max out a quality on a item but this way they could probably do it in a day or 2 if they really wanted. Currently after the player grinds to max on quality on an item they essential beat that part of the game. With this way even after you improved your item to quality level 600 you would still be crafting a quality level 1 item. So the grinder in you doesn't have a reason to mass produce useless items, the ocd in you can get to the quality of tool/weapon you want much quicker, grinders can reach the quality they want but still not be artificial maxed out in that skill early.

There still are things to be worked out if this would be used. Like somehow requiring a minimum amount of durability loss before receiving the improvement in quality on repairing the item.

Hey spider

Just wondered if it is intended that barbed wire fences take forged iron to repair when it does not take forged iron to craft.

I submitted a patch for that changing it to scrap iron for repair. I will check to see if that change was committed, but it went in over a week ago.

Any Help?

I am having a situation where I am playing /hosting a dedicated game with a friend. Once we get to the iron stage the other party will join my game and receive errors when loading. This is our second attempt at a play through on this mod with having the same end effect. Here is the sequence, I will be playing, they try to join and cant because of errors. I will close out of game and relaunch and my character gets thrown back to level 1 and starting over. The other player can then join the game and they are playing at their same level.

The second time this happen, I copied all the necessary game files and character data files, including there local saved character data. Still have the same issue. So the game data is fine. Their character data is fine. However my character data corrupts and when I start game I am level 1. Some how their errors are corrupting my character data.

On the first play through we were updating the game through launcher and doing updates on second play through we booted game manually so we wouldn't get any updates (thinking that a update sequence problem occurred.) The other person only plays the game when I play and they haven't played other sp or mp games or mods of the game. Same for me.

Any thoughts? Bug? This doesn't happen in Valmod or Vanilla so just curious.

Question on issue

I am having a situation where I am playing /hosting a dedicated game with a friend. Once we get to the iron stage the other party will join my game and receive errors when loading. This is our second attempt at a play through on this mod with having the same end effect. Here is the sequence, I will be playing, they try to join and cant because of errors. I will close out of game and relaunch and my character gets thrown back to level 1 and starting over. The other player can then join the game and they are playing at their same level.

The second time this happen, I copied all the necessary game files and character data files, including there local saved character data. Still have the same issue. So the game data is fine. Their character data is fine. However my character data corrupts and when I start game I am level 1. Some how their errors are corrupting my character data.

On the first play through we were updating the game through launcher and doing updates on second play through we booted game manually so we wouldn't get any updates (thinking that a update sequence problem occurred.) The other person only plays the game when I play and they haven't played other sp or mp games or mods of the game. Same for me.

The way primitive and journeyman crafting works, you have eliminated the need to grind for tool quality. I felt like you solved this so the notion of removing it to eliminate grinding is foriegn to me since I don't grind, and this change would introduce grinding...even worse since at level 70, I lose a wrench I have to grind it back up to 600. Every tool I use becomes a grind everytime I lose it. This method makes your skill or crafting level irrelevant and detaches player progress and puts the value of your time into the tool, not the player. I spend 2 days leveling an axe...not 2 days proving my skill. If I lose the axe, those 2 days are wasted. My efforts result in another level 1 axe with no apparent means to improve it faster due to skill...even if it is faster, my effort in the game is no longer tied to me but to my tools. Seems very backwards to me is all.

i had 2 suggestions, with arrows/bolts. after killing a zombie would it be possible to get a portion of the arrows back. lets say it took 10 arrows to kill maybe setting the parameters between 30-50% return.

also, my poi in my current game has a swimming pool, and when i take water from it goes down, which it should....but when it rains it does not go back up.

just some thoughts i had.

btw, im not sure if this should be posted here or in the pimps. if its in the wrong place i will move it

So I'm finally have a need and materials for the drawbridge added in. Tested placement and interactions on a test server - looks really nice. Below the dialpad to drop the bridge from the outside I am unable to place a block and so the steel pole the dial pad sits on is floating. Can it be raised to allow a block here?

The way primitive and journeyman crafting works, you have eliminated the need to grind for tool quality. I felt like you solved this so the notion of removing it to eliminate grinding is foriegn to me since I don't grind, and this change would introduce grinding...even worse since at level 70, I lose a wrench I have to grind it back up to 600. Every tool I use becomes a grind everytime I lose it. This method makes your skill or crafting level irrelevant and detaches player progress and puts the value of your time into the tool, not the player. I spend 2 days leveling an axe...not 2 days proving my skill. If I lose the axe, those 2 days are wasted. My efforts result in another level 1 axe with no apparent means to improve it faster due to skill...even if it is faster, my effort in the game is no longer tied to me but to my tools. Seems very backwards to me is all.

In reading your responses, I'm finding it hard to believe you are actually reading the responses spider has posted especially for you.

In reading your responses, I'm finding it hard to believe you are actually reading the responses spider has posted especially for you.

What is it I am missing, exactly? He said he wants to change gameplay regarding tool construction to remove grinding. I am arguing grinding is already gone and this change reintroduces it. Not only that, it removes player progress from the player and puts it into the tool if the tool we always craft starts at 1. At higher levels I get to raise it to 600 faster? How does that reduce grinding and change gameplay for the better? I don't mention immersion or anything. I don't mention the sillyness that a seasoned survivalist makes the same ♥♥♥♥ty axe a fresh level 1 doctor makes. But if I grind out repairs, I can make it better? My point ignores all that and address his point directly - the change to gameplay this would make.

"Changing the the path the end goal is on, is the game changer. Why do people feel the need to craft items they dont need(grind)? Because they want to raise their level. Why? Because they want a better quality item! Well with this crafting does not improve your item quality. So instead of making a player grind forever to get to a quality level they want on a Tool or Weapon we will make it much easier to get to the quality level you want because every time you repaired it it would improve by 1 quality level. So after 599 repairs you have a quality level 600 item."

...after 599 repairs? For every tool you craft...even on day 150 at level 75...level 1 stone axe. How is this not grinding? I lose the axe, so all my effort and time is gone and I am incapable of making an equally good axe the first time around? I am not sure how he plays, but the primitive/journeyman system **completely** eliminates the need to grind, and it's awesome.

I know your not really updating this version so for the next version it would be nice if all animals besides maybe chickens, rabbits and dogs would damage your minibike by 30-40% when run over. There should be a penalty to hunting this way because no minibike is going to come out unscathed after hitting a fully grown bear, pig or buck.

"...after 599 repairs? For every tool you craft...even on day 150 at level 75...level 1 stone axe. How is this not grinding? I lose the axe, so all my effort and time is gone and I am incapable of making an equally good axe the first time around? I am not sure how he plays, but the primitive/journeyman system **completely** eliminates the need to grind, and it's awesome. "

Uhh am I nuts or did spider not repeatedly say that you can raise the base level by +100 every 20 skill levels in stone axes?

So no, if you lose or break your axe at L75 you will not start back with a L1 axe.

I think this is pretty damn cool personally.

@Spider

So at L100 we can craft a L500 item then we have to repair it to get to 600 right? I''m hoping this is so.

Honestly I don't get the grinding thing, quality goes up fast just by playing.

Uhh am I nuts or did spider not repeatedly say that you can raise the base level by +100 every 20 skill levels in stone axes?

So no, if you lose or break your axe at L75 you will not start back with a L1 axe.

"Also every 20 levels you got in Stoneaxe would unlock the option for you to purchase with skill points a perk that would set your crafting quality up +100 quality levels. So at level 20 Stoneaxe you could spend 2 points and now when you crafted a Stoneaxe it would be a level 100 instead of a level 1 quality. So if your forgot to repair your stoneaxe and it broke you would not have to make a quality level1 Stoneaxe and start improving it from there. Instead you could craft a fresh quality level 100 stone axe and start improving it from there."

Either this was added after I replied in the edit or I missed it. This somewhat resolves the point about being forced to grind up axes every time you lose it. It does not address the overarching idea that this new system introduces grinding into tool crafting that currently doesn't exist. It does not address the issue of putting my time into a tool instead of my character. The intention seems to be new perks for every tool...so points in every tool at every 20 levels (in between these, I am grinding all over again). Worst case, at level 16 or so I die and lose an axe, shovel, wrench, and hammer (weapons?) that I will have to grind up from level 1. How long do they intend to make 'repairing take'? The difference between 10 seconds and 20 seconds here is huge if I am going to replace all those tools. The leveling curve I have seen them talk about is between 0.5 a 1 level a day. So by the time I get to the 3rd horde I can *finally* craft level 100 axes. Up through then I am grinding...again, when I currently don't have too because the primitive/journeyman system is near perfect. There is no grinding in the game now. This new system appears to be a 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist.

@Spider

So at L100 we can craft a L500 item then we have to repair it to get to 600 right? I''m hoping this is so.

Honestly I don't get the grinding thing, quality goes up fast just by playing.

Yes. Its very easy to build a game for your own play style. Its much more complicated to build a game for all play styles and that levels the playing field for PVP and removes leveling exploits.

@JCMONEY-

This is a vanilla thing I think. Mini Bikes used to take a lot of damage from running into entity's. But in A15 they seem to just run things over. Hunting like this is a exploit but a lot do it. Just another brick in the wall of reasons the Mini Bike will not be in my A16 mod unless TFP announce they have spent sometime on it and fixed it. I will have it in the files and balanced for game play but all the stuff for it will be commented out in the xml's. There will be a semi contract in the comments also that says "by removing these comments and adding the Mini Bike to the game you take complete responsibility for it and promise never ever to report a bug about them on the True Survival Threads".

Guarantee I still get bug reports on them in A16

Anyone?

Anyone?

Uninstall the mod completely and both of you reinstall the latest version using the 7D2D launcher. What you describe sounds like the reset issue that happened before the most recent patch. This should eliminate the issue you have.

I submitted a patch for that changing it to scrap iron for repair. I will check to see if that change was committed, but it went in over a week ago.

@Rizzano - I confirmed that this was patched on 4/27 and remains fixed in the current build. Please update your game using the 7D2D launcher if you have not already done so.

Has anyone seen this error know how to fix:

Animator,GotoState: State could not be found

Invalid Layer index '-1'

ERR Task_CommReaderRPC (cl=71526388049949253, ch=0):

Exception: BuffTimer class id '200' does not exist.

Everything was working last night when I shut down, started up server this morning to run my 14 day horde before work and I am seeing this error in the server console.

Nothing seems wrong in game (no reset or anything) but I cannot use the E key, can open or pickup anything.

Error happens right after the Character has joined the game message.

Any suggestions?

I also looked through the buff.xml but those do not appear to use class id's

Has anyone seen this error know how to fix:

Animator,GotoState: State could not be found

Invalid Layer index '-1'

ERR Task_CommReaderRPC (cl=71526388049949253, ch=0):

Exception: BuffTimer class id '200' does not exist.

Everything was working last night when I shut down, started up server this morning to run my 14 day horde before work and I am seeing this error in the server console.

Nothing seems wrong in game (no reset or anything) but I cannot use the E key, can open or pickup anything.

Error happens right after the Character has joined the game message.

Any suggestions?

I also looked through the buff.xml but those do not appear to use class id's

Post your logfile when you can. The only time I ave had my E key not work when entering the game is when I alt-tabbed during the game load process..

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

:frusty:

If you were playing on our server, you would cry. LOL. We removed the majority of the hand holding the mod adds, so dying has enough consequences that losing your tools and starting from 1 is a big deal. I am just trying to save myself the work of redoing the xml and pointing out that this change doesn't remove grinding (it doesn't exist) but it absolutely adds it.

How near in future those discussed features are coming in? Im asking because i want to start sp world and dont know if i will need to restart after change.

Pretty sure the goal is to release it after A16 when they get internal bugs worked out. You will probably be able to play it on Spiders server once he thinks its ready. Depending on how much A16 changes, could be a few days.

If you were playing on our server, you would cry. LOL. We removed the majority of the hand holding the mod adds, so dying has enough consequences that losing your tools and starting from 1 is a big deal. I am just trying to save myself the work of redoing the xml and pointing out that this change doesn't remove grinding (it doesn't exist) but it absolutely adds it.

What "hand holding" does the mod add? and if I add this you will not be able to easily undo it without massive xml rewrites and re balancing..

Archived