[Known Issue] Terrain Rewriting (MD5 Issue)

Clare

But did you have fun.? And tell me, which game was it that you invested only 30$ in.... and got that many hours of game time that was just as exciting as hour one.? That didn't have issues, or crashes.? I'll wait......

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say, 30$ for 150+ hrs of your life is money very well spent....most people spend that on a t-shirt...that also doesn't last that long.

You are joking right?

But did you have fun.? And tell me, which game was it that you invested only 30$ in.... and got that many hours of game time that was just as exciting as hour one.? That didn't have issues, or crashes.? I'll wait......

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say, 30$ for 150+ hrs of your life is money very well spent....most people spend that on a t-shirt...that also doesn't last that long.

So because i paid £30 pound for the game i shouldn't care if my data gets wiped and all my stuff vanish. If you can't keep your stuff we all worked so hard for then wtf is the point in playing the game. I see 150hours as a waste of time all that i worked for gone. Let me come rob your house' it's ok you can start again right' you got some good time out that TV and bike and car. Also a shirt last longer then 150hours unless you buy it from moths or its made from cardboard and you wear it in the rain

To a game that works

This society is so entitled now a days smh....great game guys. Thanks for the hard work, good luck with the patches.

Entitled​ yes i should be entitled to a working product i payed money for. The way the game is it should say (preview) at least then people be warned product is not complete. And it's been 8 months you really think there working on the problem. A company this big would have resolved the matter by now it's a company and company's do one thing' make money. They don't care about the player base or the final product as long as they make sells its all that matters in the end. Also 7 days to die has made most of its sells now it's been on the market for some time so they have no need to work on fixing this product. I'll post back here in a years time when it's still broken staying these words (I told you so)

Hey Clare,

Its your buddy again letting you know that since patch 1.0.13.0 ive had the md5 error twice now. The second time was devastating. Wiped out my whole base except outer walls and all my supplies which on day 133 you could imagine how much i had. For specs its all the same as it has been if you see my ither posts in this forum. I was doing absolutley nothing this time but being idle while on the phone. I wasnt crafting anything or cooking or anything. Ive been playing this game pretty much since release and i only started getting the md5 bug recently. Now its getting worse. Maybe the lack of me doing absolutley nothing while this happened could open a lead for you idk anymore. Trying to be patient with this game but its starting to become overwhelming with hours spent on it.

Helpful Info

So I have been tracking the dashboarding by stopwatch, every 83 - 96 minutes.

Had our first terrain reset noticed:

Our base, located in the bunker, south part of map, middle, was reset to normal, after we had been on the road 5 days in game gathering supplies.

When we returned, all our work on the building, reset. All our perimeter defenses above ground, were still intact. All our stuff below ground was still there. Any upgrades we did to the existing structure was reset. This includes the farm, wall upgrades, doors, and the forge with literally tens of thousands of materials smelted in it, over 105 days of play.

So, it seems simple, if the game rewrites terrain after crashing, stop it from crashing. And it is very upsetting losing all your hard work on an issue this old.

But, I like the game. So, instead of venting my emotions, Im going to try and help fix it.

I will keep logging kick intervals, but its never been sooner then 80 minutes, and never a game lasted longer then 96 minutes. Im a marathon player. This short spurts thing is annoying. The losing everything part is worth a rant.

Anyway, love the game. We have dubbed it "ArkCraft Day Z" because we always wanted a game like this. So, keep it up, and fix it.

Xbone : McGowan Pride

Is there any way we can have access to creative in our saved games so we can atleast get pur supplies back. I dont mind rebuilding especially with a work in progress type game. However getting all my stuff back is so annoying. I hope there is something you can do. My game is a private game for my wife and i so it would be consucive for us if we could get our supplies back.

All gone.

This just happened to me and my bf. We have been playing for days. Never really had any issues ex ept the occasional crash that allowed us to take breaks in between days. However last night we had just finished our base. All the way to bedrock and up almost 50 stories. With caverns underground filled with supplies and food. Like I said we spent days. Got kicked and went back 1/2 the base completely gone. We were upset. Very upset. But at least it was not the half with the food and supplies. So we set out trying to find out wtf happened and try and fix it. It crashed again and we called it a night. Came back tonight except this time the whole base was completely gone. All our food and supplies... we both just set our controllers down.....and was done with the game. Just done. Very frustrating.

Lossed everything for the second time in one week

The first time my stuff reset I lost months of work, was extremely mad, snapped the disc in half only to find out there was an update 2 hours after, so I bought it again hoping everything would be better, boy was I wrong, I will say starting again was horrific, but I changed locations and started a new journey, the crashing wasn't as often (at first), and every time it did crash I expected the worst, but worst didn't happen, so I built on, I got 4 days of play time In and had a really good supply stash, I got half way through making my new base (which wasn't easy and very time consuming) and surprise surprise the game crashes again, only this time when I spawn back yet again everything is gone, 4 days straight I dedicated to this game thinking they fixed the land reseting, please get this fixed.........i couldn't tell u what was happening all the times it crashed before the first reset (base was in the town with the big hospital in a prefab house (reset while adding an addition to the house), but this time I tried to pay more attention, I relocated outside the town next to a big pond( close to the hardware store) I don't know what my friend was doing but these are the crash moments for me.....while eating and drinking out of a chest.....making stuff in the campfire (food, bottled water).....crafting ladders and wood frames (large amounts).....running around the burned bio towards the south west corner of gravestown (I was running north east towards the south west of gravestown)....running to the bookstore on the road up from my new spawn location.....theire are a few others but I was standing still doing nothing so I'm not sure....and the crash that reset my new land happend while I was putting in stairs in my underground/underwater entry leading to where the main base was going to be (the entry went from the pond bank down under ground leading underwater.....it was a long entry). The base was planned to be in the center of the pond. Zombie spawn disabled, long days (60), not sure on the rest.....i really hope that y'all get ur game fixed, I enjoy games that make me play for hours, but not to waste my time, thanks

Is there a 'Plan B' for the terrain re-write issue?

I'm new to the game and already lost most of my stuff twice -- I tried setting-up a base in a single-player game in the lobby of the Diersvill (spelling?) hospital. First time I lost a forge and several chests-worth of supplies. Second time I lost a lot more and had my character's location moved from the lobby to the roof (not the helipad, but on top of the broken skylights so no handy staircase to use to get down). Also after the second crash, the map still showed my bedroll as being in the hospital lobby even though it wasn't there (I checked all floors). So that's when I went on-line and found this forum. Sounds like a multi-story building is a prime target for MD5 crashes so I'm avoiding doing any type of building in that location in the future.

It looks like this issue has been on-going for more than 6 months. Since a fix doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon, at some point is there a plan for some type of workaround? I realize that allowing players to choose a saved game would dramatically change the feel and design, but is there some compromise or alternative?

For example, could you keep the two or three most-recent saves? If the game can detect that an MD5 crash occurred last time it ran, could it automatically load the next oldest save? Maybe with a message a start so the players know what happened. While that type of change wouldn't fix the problem, it might keep the game playable. I'd rather only loose 5 to 10 minutes of progress vs. wiping-out all of my supplies and fortifications.

Lost my base 2 times

The first time my stuff reset I lost months of work, was extremely mad, snapped the disc in half only to find out there was an update 2 hours after, so I bought it again hoping everything would be better, boy was I wrong, I will say starting again was horrific, but I changed locations and started a new journey, the crashing wasn't as often (at first), and every time it did crash I expected the worst, but worst didn't happen, so I built on, I got 4 days of play time In and had a really good supply stash, I got half way through making my new base (which wasn't easy and very time consuming) and surprise surprise the game crashes again, only this time when I spawn back yet again everything is gone, 4 days straight I dedicated to this game thinking they fixed the land reseting, please get this fixed.........i couldn't tell u what was happening all the times it crashed before the first reset (base was in the town with the big hospital in a prefab house (reset while adding an addition to the house), but this time I tried to pay more attention, I relocated outside the town next to a big pond( close to the hardware store) I don't know what my friend was doing but these are the crash moments for me.....while eating and drinking out of a chest.....making stuff in the campfire (food, bottled water).....crafting ladders and wood frames (large amounts).....running around the burned bio towards the south west corner of gravestown (I was running north east towards the south west of gravestown)....running to the bookstore on the road up from my new spawn location.....theire are a few others but I was standing still doing nothing so I'm not sure....and the crash that reset my new land happend while I was putting in stairs in my underground/underwater entry leading to where the main base was going to be (the entry went from the pond bank down under ground leading underwater.....it was a long entry). The base was planned to be in the center of the pond. Zombie spawn disabled, long days (60), not sure on the rest.....i really hope that y'all get ur game fixed, I enjoy games that make me play for hours, but not to waste my time, thanks

I really wish I knew how broken this game was before I paid for it... This problem has been happening for a LONG time. It will never be fixed. They know why its happening and that its been happening and they have tons of people telling them all about what happened before it got reset. We won't get a working game. The problem is the games save files get messed up during crashes prolly during saves. The game does not have code to fix the broken save files like StarDew Valley has. This game does a RESET of the broken parts of the save files automatically. Stardew figured out how to fix the save files that got corrupted from game crashes and fixed the problem that was ruining the save files. I will join random public games n play for a short while with strangers every so often but I don't want to work on my save files cuz it is scary knowing everything can be reset again at any second.

Partial Terrain Reset in Base and Other Random Bugs Leading up to it

These problems are in my single player random gen map on Xbox one.

Ever since the latest patch, I've had severe issues with the game crashing after 1.5-2 hours of gameplay (1 In game day with the settings I have on). I've also been having issues where every time I exit out of the game, the loading screen never ends and I never revert back to the main menu. This was concerning in reference to my save, since I initially thought it would become corrupt. I had to force quit the game every time this happened. But; every time I was able to load back in. The crash or weird issue exiting the game incorrectly would occur every time I played.

Yesterday when playing I placed several blocks which failed to appear. I would hit them and they would take damage, but the terrain would not change, whether I took away something like grass or added a player created block. I also had an issue when in the crafting menu twice...while in my inventory, I could not press any of the buttons to back out, aside from pressing start, quitting, restarting the game, etc...

Today, I started up the game, pressed the menu (or start) button, and my game continuously tried to load in. It wasn't frozen, since the save notification in the upper right corner kept moving, but it was stuck on this screen every time I tried to enter the game to the main menu, and it would do nothing else. I tested this for a max time of 30 min for one sitting. I uninstalled then reinstalled the game. Same issue. I cleared the cache on my Xbox (mac address) and removed then redownloaded my Xbox live profile. When loaded the game back up, I was able to get the the main menu at last.

Sadly, when I loaded in for the second or third time after this, there were massive chunks of my base missing. Parts of my defensive walls had completely vanished, and had been replaced with what had originally been there. I was so bummed, since it's nearly day 35 in my game and I spent a lot of time and in game resources to build up an awesome base. Thinking it could be similar to the bug I experienced with blocks not loading correctly and the real things that were there not being seen, I force quit the game. Loaded back up and sadly, everything was still missing. I did use a preloaded house build but completely tore down and rebuilt everything. Half of my house's roof was defaulted to its original, and seemingly more chunks of my walls were gone (inner and outer defensive walls).

With the 35 day horde approaching and the fixes needed for my base being too great to handle in such a short time period, this save is unplayable to me at the moment. I really believe in the team and really enjoy this game! This is a long thread response, but I wanted to cover every weird bug I encountered leading up to this massive MD5 error. Maybe it's something that happened right before, maybe it's something I did to fix other issues, or maybe it was a combination of everything. All I know is I'm definitely waiting to play the game again til the fix for this is out. No reason to keep loading back in to have more things potentially missing. Very frustrated but hopeful! Thanks.

Terrain/Base Reset MD5 Error Report

So, I've unfortunately become one of the many victims of these annoying MD5 errors. It happened to my base around 1am Eastern today, April 29th.

Platform: Xbox One

Gamer tag: ImaGr8KiLLr

Map: Online Campaign

Save Name: NiFtYzone

Day: 126

Experience: I was traveling with a friend through a tunnel under the lake in the middle of the map that I had dug. The tunnel was first dug through rock from a Forge Cabin (near the marina) straight across to a cabin on the other side of the lake. I then dug a tunnel from that tunnel to the middle of the nearby island...this was the tunnel that I was traveling to. The cabin itself didn't reset, but the terrain nearby, which I had built a underground base with storage chests of all my important things, and a forge, were reset. So far, I've notice that the reset began close to the bank of the lake and extends out into the lake.

I really wish that Microsoft had a system in place for saving at least a couple previous save game versions, so that a player could restore one in the event of a game crash and game save corruption. I'm now afraid of this happening again. It's very discouraging, after all the time I've spent building and scouring the map for things I know longer have. I really hope these crashes can be fixed soon. I've never had a game crash more than 7 Day has with me. Please let me know if there's any other info I can provide and if you know of a way of accessing possible previous cloud game saves, even if it's through contacting Microsoft. Thanks!

-Andrew

MD5 error frequency increased after patch

I have been playing the same random gen map for a while now and have had several instances of the MD5 error completely wiping out my bases from the bottom of my mine to the top where my stuff is stored forcing me to basically start over. This only happened once before the patch but since the patch it has happened four additional times.

the frequency of the resets doesnt seem to matter whether i play single player or split-screen with her.

My error occured well after i had a base (with a mineshaft underneath) well established. Over one hundred voxels away i had a 10 x 20 farm and over one hundred voxels away from that i had a 10 by 10 tree farm. I was building a shed with some basic materials (ironically in case of another reset) when the UI starting flickering and then crashed resulting in the deletion of all said mentioned entities.

usually it only occurs in a 16 x 32 ish chunk of map i was working on. Now when the error occurs, any structure i have built becomes reset. Virtually unplayable for me because i put hours of work in just to have EVERYTHiNG deleted, not just the immediate area around the crash. Hopefully further progress can be made finding these errors.

Game Type:survival

Map Type: random gen

Seed/Save Name:

Disk or Digital: digital

DLC: none

Character: vince

Difficulty: scavenger

Run: never run

Aggression: normal

Day length: 18 hours

Drop On Death: toolbelt only

Enemy memory: 30 sec

Enemy Spawning: disabled

Block durability: 25

Loot respawn time: 5

Loot abundance: 200

Airdrops: 24

24 hour cycle: 120

In-game Day: 21

• 2 weeks later...

I got the MD5 weenie.

Platform: XB1 digital download.

World: Single Player. Random Gen.

Settings: All default with two exceptions (18 hours daylight, 120 minute days

Character: Jack

Day: 22

Time: appx 1500

I was working on my new "toothy", right next to my 50 pillar pit when the game crashed but it wasn't one of those game freezes up and sticks kind of crash, it was instant. I reload and go back to working on my toothy. I then decide to run back to mt pit to grab more cement and food when I discover that 95% of my pit is filled in with dirt. The escape tunnel leading to the pit is fine as well as one single block side of the pit but the rest is filled in with dirt, lost 98% of everything. I didn't lose my minibike or my original 6day prefab which has 2 forges, workbench and cement mixer so I'm going to keep driving on.

Game on ps4

[sTATUS: LOGGED - IN PROGRESS]

Note: This issue can occur all over the world, but it is most noticeable when a base is wiped.

A strip of the terrain may have some trouble loading and it defaults to the Day 1 state.

There are no known workarounds, however the odds of it happening in the same area twice, is very small.

EDIT: It appears it is becoming more common and repeating in areas since the original post was made.

POTENTIAL WORKAROUND:

Player IBKillingFools has mentioned that hard resetting console after as crash has helped them avoid MD5 errors.

-------------------

UPDATE: The below message was given to me to pass onto you guys in regards to the issue with terrain regeneration.

The team call them MD5 errors - we've been calling then terrain rewrites and regens on the forums and this is where an area can revert to the Day 1 state.

Hi all!

We know you’ve been encountering a few MD5 errors recently and we wanted to explain a bit about them and what we’re doing to combat them.

Unfortunately, MD5 errors have a large number of different causes. In essence, though, they flag any part of a saved game’s map that is different than the world generation algorithm expects it to be. This can happen when the game crashes while it’s trying to save or if any of the changes we make or features we add impact the terrain generation pipeline. As we work to improve the game’s stability and fix any issues we find, you should encounter these MD5 errors less and less.

This has been—and will continue to be—an ongoing focus of ours. We really appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to improve your experience with 7 Days to Die.

--------------

UPDATE: We've recieved some reports of POIs changing from one to another. This is possibly caused by an MD5 error triggering in the area. The team are investigating this possible MD5 trigger now too.

--------------

UPDATE: A lot of players have asked about adding in a manual save option to the game. Which this sounds like a simple task that could temporarily help the issue. This is not as simple or temporary as it may seem. Not only would the UI need to changed to accommodate this new option but the team would need to dig into the core code of the game and change how the game saves. They would also need to work on how the game saves to the consoles and be sure Sony and MS approve of this. This is something that would take a considerable amount of time and resources. Afterwards the game still has the MD5 errors. It may not seem like it, but it is actually a lot quicker to hunt and fix the MD5 errors rather than digging into the core of the game and changing something so big.

Side note: Roland made a good point that adding a manual save also changes the design of the game and changes how it is played - Possibly one of the reasons manual save option was not added to PC. So if this was added in it would likely be removed afterward, which again is digging back into code to undo all that was done.

-----------

Update: 04/08

Copy of post: [04/08] Message from the Team - MD5 Info

Hi all,

Below is a message from the team regarding MD5 Errors

First, let us say thank you for your patience as we work through the issues with MD5 resets. We are continuously looking for ways to improve stability and tracking down causes for MD5 resets is at the forefront of those efforts. To help us track down these issues, we’ve added analytics to the game to capture as much data as possible when an MD5 mismatch is detected. With this data, we have been able to find and fix several causes of MD5 errors. In the last few patches, we submitted fixes for several of these issues and the early results from analytics shows that the number of MD5 errors has decreased dramatically. That said, we will continue tracking these issues and look for ways to fix them as we find them. Once again, thank you for your patience and for being an awesome community.

Thank you guys for continuing to pass on your MD5 error info, I would recommend those who want to share their details continue to do so, having information from all sides gives us more chances to catch and fix these issues!

Thanks,

Clare

Any idea when there will be more additions to PS4 such as generators a npcs?

Lost Another Base

XBOX ONE

KurookamiRyou

Game Type:

Map Type: Random Gen

Save Name: APOC

Disk or Digital: Disk

DLC: none

Character: Jack

Difficulty: Scavenger

Run: Never Run

Aggression: Normal

Day Length: 18 hours

Drop on Death: Toolbelt Only

Enemy Memory: 30 seconds

Enemy Spawning:

Block Durability: 100

Loot Respawn Time: 5

Loot Abundance: 200

Airdrops: 24

24 Hour Cycle: 60

In Game Day: 48

This would be the second time (second game) where I've had a base reset/ MD5 error.

The first time it happened, I was playing in a game hosted by BunniSuicide on a save titled "ZombieBunBunLand" . It was after day 50 when our underground base was reset after a game crash. It was underneath a prefab, under a small building in the corner of a large city on a Random Gen map.

Since then, I created a new save, one which I hosted, and continued playing with BunniSuicide. I scoured the forums for information about what had happened. MD5 errors were new to me.

This time, I hosted the game. I played as Jack instead of Hank, because other people have had issues with that character. Bunni and I made sure not to make a base in a prefab. Any time the game froze or crashed for ANY REASON, we followed that up with a hard reset of both of our consoles. Things seemed okay.

We built a main base in the burnt biome, and a second base within a cliff near a large city. About day 43 or 44, we left our main base and headed for the city to do some mining. We needed coal, and we figured we'd try mining in a forest biome (which is where our "cave" base was located). We dug a kitchen and storage area, a garage for the minibikes, and began a staircase down to a forge and storage area. I made 2 forges, we had tons of resources gathered, etc. We had just come back from a scavenge mission... over 100 raw meat along with plenty of other things.

Day 48 came around. We decided to do a little bit more mining for coal and iron. We then had a crash (it was most definitely NOT the first time it crashed) and we hard reset both consoles. I signed back in to the game to find that I was not in our "cave" base. I spawned in on top of the cliff area with the minibikes besides me.

I invited BunniSuicide into the game and ran down to the cave entrance. I saw it, so I thought we might've just experienced a weird blip or something. But I went in through the first door and was met with stone where the second door should have been. I could see slightly past the stone on one side, so I pick axed it down and went into our "kitchen" area. Four of the 10 boxes were still there. But 6 of the boxes were now gone, replaced by stone. The bedrolls were also where the stone was. The compass still showed the bedroll icon (this happened the first time an MD5 error occurred) but obviously there was no bedroll.

The garage entrance was gone, but we took an auger into the cliffside and found our "mine" entrance. The staircase down was partially still there, but the forge and storage areas were now gone. So we lost all the resources we'd mined and gathered.

Broken-hearted, we traversed back to our main base. Thank the gods, our main base was still there. There was some slight, damage around our concrete and wood spike set up, but otherwise, no base reset (knock on wood).

We have a nearby prefab with a flooded basement that we use as a water source. We decided to throw our new bedrolls down there, just in case we have another MD5 issue ((T^T)).

This bug is extremely painful. The first time it had happened we'd spent over 50 hours. This time, it was near 50 hours. Some things I'd noticed while playing:

- one of the two minibikes duplicated itself twice = BunniSuicide had crashed and hard reset both times. The first time, there was a duplicate minibike next to her original bike, with all the exact same parts except for a missing shopping basket. The second time, when she came back in, her toolbelt items were gone and replaced with duplicates of her minibike's parts.

- Before the minibike began duplicating itself, Bunnisuicide had placed a padlock on her bike. Later, she removed the padlock. When she used her bike next, the padlock was on her bike again. She removed the padlock again and scraped it. When she checked her bike again, the padlock was there again. This continued until she gave up and left the padlock on the bike.

- In the first save that experienced an MD5, before the MD5 occurred, I assembled a minibike then drove it to another location. When I came back to the spot where I had assembled the minibike, a chassis had spawned on that spot. I removed the chassis, but the next time I reloaded the game, the chassis was back in that same spot.

- Sometimes when we attempt to add gas to a minibike, we'll see the -250 gas on our screen and the gas will be removed from our inventory as if gas as successfully been added to the bike. But when we get on the bike, the gas meter will not appear to have increased.

- Sometimes when we have a mining helmet equipped when the game loads, we cannot switch on the mining helmet light. To fix this, we need to put on a different hat, then put the mining helmet back on in order for the light to work.

- In seemingly random spots, we are not able to place blocks even though the space seems empty and we can walk through it. This has happened both on prefab buildings where no other change was made prior to trying to place a block, and it has happened after digging away soil/dirt to put a block in its place.

- In the first game, after the MD5 occurred, blocks would collapse after being stacked, even though they had previously been successfully stacked in the exact same way without collapsing.

I really hope this helps the devs fix this issue. It's happened more than once. The ONLY reason I'm still playing after having it happen twice is because the second time happened to a secondary base and not the main one. I don't think I could continue if it happened to a main base twice. BunniSuicide and I spent a very, VERY long time amassing resources and digging and setting up our base. We even dug out a garage and ramp for the minibikes. This was all done with stone axes for upgrading (we hadn't gotten wrenches or hammers yet).

Please... please end the suffering caused by the MD5 error!!!

- KurookamiRyou

If there is ANYTHING else I can provide to help fix this issue, please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you to everyone who has provided their MD5 error information so far.

To help avoid confusion in the use of this thread, the following has been added to my original post:

NOTE: THIS IS AN INFORMATIONAL POST ONLY!

- IF YOU WISH TO SHARE YOU INFORMATION ABOUT THE ERROR YOU EXPERIENCED, PLEASE DO SO BELOW

- IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION FOR ME, OR WISH TO REPORT A BUG I WILL LIKELY MISS IT AS I DO NOT CHECK THIS THREAD OFTEN OR CHASE THINGS HERE

- IF YOU WOULD LIKE A DIRECT RESPONSE OR DIRECT CONTACT, PLEASE CREATE A NEW THREAD IN THE MAIN BUG REPORTS SECTION. ANY DEVELOPMENTS WILL BE UPDATED HERE AND IN "NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS"

Half of my base and all items disappeared

Earlier today I was playing my single player random gen game on xbox1 and was disconnected from the game to the xbox home page. I just went to play and half of my main base, which I built from the ground up, and all of its contents have disappeared. Quite disappointed and was wondering if there was a way to reverse it. Really don't want to have to basically start from scratch

Archived