[Known Issue] Terrain Rewriting (MD5 Issue)

Clare

Just read the last pages, and...

not one person stated whether or not they have respawning loot disabled. Bit of a glaring oversight in the bug reporting department. I play with it turned off, and air drops turned off. So far <--- I have never seen this base wipe glitch. Maybe my game world is more static? *shrug*

I play on pc with some friends, I had been playing this game for about two weeks realized i loved it so i bought a server my friends and i could play on, we get to around day 48, my loot respawns every 15 days, abundance is up to 200%, my friend and i are out treasure hunting when he dies, he's able to respawn at base when he dies i begin running back to base we cross paths and i arrive at base about a minute after he's left. When he respawned at base everything was there nothing was unusual but when i arrive at base about a minute after he leaves everything reset to day 1. This occured at the barn area, now what my friends and i had noticed that all through out the map since we've started this server anywhere we would loot and then would go back to would reset to day one conditions like we were never there. we didn't know that wasn't suppose to happen, so it never occured to us that it might happen to our base. Another thing i noticed is that when i got to the house despite everything having reset it still showed my bed as having been there, infact my friend when he died again (damn ferals) could spawn at his bed the only catch was it froze him in a black screen and he had to close the game and restart, it was after he restarted that the bed icon dissapeared for both of us. Now this game is handsdown one of my favorite games i play, and i recognize it's only in alpha so upon starting this game i went into it with the mindset that there is most definately going to be some glitches, however no amount of mindset could prepare me for this, countless hours lost and a huge amount of frustration and dissapointment added. The game itself is beautiful, and amazing you have all done an outstanding job creating a game that appeals to a very large crowd and i can see this game becoming very popular upon an official release and i and my friends can't wait to continue playing through the new updates that you come out with, but i can't play a game where all my progress is going to be lost due to a glitch like this, So please keep us updated on how you guys are coming along with the fixes you speak of, and truly keep up the amazing work you guys are doing, if everyone could create games like this and pay such great attention to the quality of their work, the detail to the simple quality of life things... well i'd guess we'd have more games like this. keep up the good work guys

Platform: XB1 digital download.

World: Navezgane, Network Game, Multi Player Invite only

Settings:

Difficulty: Nomad

Zombies: Default

Aggression: Normal

Daylight Length: 18 hours

Enemy Spawn: Default

Loot: 200%

24 hrs: 60 minutes

Character:

Day: Apx 30

Time: unknow

Summary: MD5 error at center of map Central region 3 houses down dead end street near the Pass & Gas.

We added 2 campfires in the kitchen. After a few days we experienced a MD5 including the 2 campfires and some cabinets about a 20x20 area. A few days later we had 2 Forges in the garage that reset in a 30x30 area.

This was a couple days before the 1.0.10.0 update.

This was a new world build because we wanted it closed for just our friends.

When we first started the new world we were timing the crashes to about 2 hours. About day 25 it was down to 1 hour and 30 minutes between crashes. As of Day 32 it is now to an average of 1 hour and 10 minutes. I had posted an earlier crash report including timings about our old world.

Every MD5 we have experienced had a common theme.

#1, 3 campfires were right next to each other, about a 20x20 area affected on the ground floor.

#2, 3 campfires in the same spot next to each other and the same 20x20 area. Since then we moved the 3 fires to another room and separated them by at least a few blocks. Ground floor

#3, 3 Forges within 3 block of each other 2 of the forges were on top of each other. also another area near reset about 30 block away diagonally where 3 minibikes were on wooden flooring. Ground Floor, The basement we had dug underneath it did not reset.

Switched to new world

#4 2 campfires next to each other. Area effected about 20x20 Ground floor

#5 2 Forges one on top of the other caused a 30x30 area to reset. Ground floor

All of these problem were with 1.0.9.0 Xbox one. We have not had an MD5 since.

I hope this help

This just happened to me Friday night. I'll do the bug report thing, while also taking a moment to complain a bit (since my feelings were hurt and if nothing else I feel I deserve at least a sympathetic read). I don't have tons of detail but I'll provide what I can:

XB1 Navezgane Private MP game.

Character: Hank.

Day: 28

Settings: 18 hour days, 5 day loot respawn, All others default.

I had been building up the Church, starting with a pretty elaborate tunnel system heading east under the ground, consisting of a couple of rooms, and a longer tunnel that was to eventually run into the basement of the working stiff's to the north (along with a minibike "subway" system - it was going to be pretty sweet). I'd removed just about all of the original floor and walls of the building (up to the top of the church windows, about 7-8 blocks?) and replaced with reinforced concrete. On the port & starboard sides of the church, I had built reinforced steel pillboxes leading outside, and attaching to a 2-block high wall covering all but the stairways leading into the front and back of the church, with room between the building and wall for spikes. Why is this relevant? I'm almost there: I had decided to extend the back porch of the church over the wall, using a concrete catwalk and destroying the staircase. Then stairs leading down on the other side of the wall. The crash occurred when I was about to put up iron railings along the catwalk. I had just moved the railings into my toolbelt, when the game crashed.

Here's where my feelings started to get hurt. I leaned over to my wife and said [ironically] jokingly, "Watch, it's going to start me on the roof [again] when I come back." Sure enough, it did. Why wasn't this as funny as it should have been? Because it was day 28, time on deck: 2130. All of my gear was underground, in a tunnel, and I was armed with a fireaxe, claw hammer, and about a dozen stacks of building materials. Thank goodness for that.

The real heartbreak sank in, however, when I looked down from the roof and saw that half the wall and spikes surrounding my church were missing. Calmly, I screamed "nonononoNONOnonn0n0n0n0n0n0nNOOOOO!!!!!" and dropped to the ground (breaking my leg) to find that in fact, most of the church was exactly the way I found it on day 1. Sprinting inside, literally minutes before the D28 blood moon, I discovered that the floor I had just spent hours in real-time replacing was now all wood again, but at the far side of the room I could see the stairs descending down into my tunnel, my "safe place," which gave me a moment of hope.

Only a moment, though, for when I ran down the stairs towards safety, I was warmly greeted by a wall of dirt. I was cut off. From everything. Thousands of rounds of ammunition, dozens of purple-quality firearms, every morsel of food and drop of water, all suddenly out of reach at the worst possible moment. Running back upstairs, I discovered that -mercifully - just one of my steel-reinforced pillboxes was left intact. Thankfully, I had built my new panic room with two vault doors, and stocked it with a hunting rifle and around 200 rounds of 7.62. Even more thankfully, I had spent talent points in Survivor and Camel. I ran inside and closed the doors behind me just as the horde arrived. I spent the Day 28 blood moon alternating between running around (naked with a broken leg) frantically shooting through the bars, and running around (naked with a broken leg) repairing every square inch of my bunker to keep them from getting through.

I made it. Not by much, and I have no idea what I'm going to do next, but I made it. More than anything else I regret the loss of my calipers, which I had finally just found the previous morning.

Moral of the story? There are several:

1) Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket. From now on, I will keep at least some essential loot stashed aboveground and away from my main project.

2) Always keep a firearm within arms reach when nighttime is near.

3) Nowhere is safe. Don't ever assume you have a base strong enough to withstand anything, because as soon as you think that, this game will literally rewrite all of your hopes and dreams into one big epic disaster.

4) Finally, keep a sense of humor about it! This game is about surviving in arguably the worst possible situation. There are going to be setbacks, and how you recover from them, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going is going to be the real test.

I'm going to salvage this game, but you guys owe me. Big time. I will accept nothing less by way of an apology than adding dedicated server support with the next big patch. Get on it, and I'll consider us even.

Other thoughts:

I haven't logged back in since it happened (the hurt was still too fresh), but I had some other minor construction including bunkers and tunnels outside perishton. I wonder if they survived the rewrite, since some bits and pieces were still there at the church.

Other thoughts:

I haven't logged back in since it happened (the hurt was still too fresh), but I had some other minor construction including bunkers and tunnels outside perishton. I wonder if they survived the rewrite, since some bits and pieces were still there at the church.

i feel you brother, same here,whole base wiped,with absoluty everything

2) Always keep a firearm within arms reach when nighttime is near.

Surely you mean "never put your weapon down"? There are freakin' zombies, man! A couple of inventory slots is a small price to pay for not having your brain eaten. IMHO.

I mean, think how you would behave if you were really trying to survive in a zombie wasteland.. Would you put down your hand-crafted crossbow just so you can hold an extra 1,000 one-cubic-meter concrete blocks? NO! You'd make do with only having 2,000 concrete blocks and 3,000 wood frames in your backpack, so there's still room for your crossbow, 250 bolts, a shotgun, and a motorized auger. It's just more realistic that way.

Report of my inncident

Platform: XB1 digital download.

World: Random Gen,Solo

Day 21 and 27

Hi i Have built a base underground which is basically a giant metal cube and i was killing the horde on day 21 when my game crashed and when i loaded up a 1/4 of my base had turned back into terrain and i lost everything in that bit so when i mined it all up and built it all again i was away from my base on day 27 and it crashed (Note; it crashes quite alot, i cant play for long cause it crashes so much and i lose my bike 90%off the time it doe) and when i went back to my base half of it turned back to terrian is there any fix?

Check up.

I'm just here to see if the game is still broken from the MD5 bug. It is? Well I might check back the next time an update is available. But if there is another update that doesn't solve this bug I'll just assume that since it's been months, it's not able to be resolved and I'll just abandon this game.

Md5 bug in random mode

As commented in a previous post my problem is that on day 35 before the arrival of the horde, my base, located and improved just above the camp or military base that contains two watchtowers and an outer wall and barbed wire, this is I lost almost all of them, losing with multiple boxes with the resources of materials, weapons, bullets, forges, maps and missions, I also lost the minimum and part of the land to 50% returning to its normal state of day 1. Everything happened in the fringe of land that is just behind the gate of the military fortress when I was preparing to drill the ground to grow plants .. the game was reset and when I reloaded I appeared right there and the terrain was again surrounded by trees, herbs and. ... many zombies !!!, incredible !! And that was a few hours before the horde came ... well, here I leave the data of my "brand new" and useless game:

The starting data: jess1 (NICK or user: PIJUSMAGNIFICUS)

I had the 1.0.10 patch updated.

Random Game Mode

Difficulty: scavenger,

Day 35

Zombie spawn rate: medium

Duration of daylight: from 4 a.m. to 22 p.m. (18H)

Time it takes to spend the day: Maximum

Durability of the blocks: 200

Zombie Aggression: Normal

Abundance of booty: maximum

I would like to know if it is worthwhile to continue this game or I should wait for a definitive patch to solve all these errors, because on another occasion the game was completely extinguished near a lake, in the center of the map, and was accompanied by The minibike, when I rebooted it was at the same point, but the minibike disappeared, and it is not the first time ... can you solve this problem? Would it be possible to enter a marker on the map to indicate where the minibike is? I have invested a lot of time and money in this game, but I can not wait all my life to fix everything with dropper, I would have been willing to pay much more money for this game in normal conditions, because the game is magnificent and addictive, but without Bugs. This had never happened to me with any title, and I am a player with a lot of experience in many other games, but I never imagined that it could have so many problems because the developers simply did not take their time to finish it conscientiously.

Thank you

Hi Clare posting my game setup to you

It's on the xb1

Map name is bm01

Mode: survival mp

World: Random gen

Difficulty: survivalist

Character: jack

Day hours: 16 (I think)

Also you could you point me in the direction of where I could get some help on making a dedicated server and how much ram, hdd, cpu and broadband speed I would need on a per player Baisis? I have some ideas to make a brilliant server that players will enjoy :) and have two servers I could cluster together for the project

Plus some help on turning a dell 690 workstation desktop server into a 7d2d dedicated playing computer

(I have some xeon x5472 3ghz processors on their way and want to water cool and overclock them etc) just need some advice

Thanks

Bernie

In game save option

I know this is a known issue so I do see the point in posting all my details but if you would like them please let me know. I have had this happen to me twice now. The first time was a real set back because the glitch happened to my day 7 horde base. Not a huge deal still had my main base with all of my storage and was able to rebuild. The second time it happened I lost my main base with all of my storage. I was on day 245 so I don't think I need to tell you how much was lost. I say was because I don't think I'll be playing again till it's fixed

After chatting with XBOX customer support the only way we were able to come up with to pull an old save file would have been to when the glitch occurred: disconnect from XB1L without exiting the game, uninstall the game and delete the game save file, reconnect to XB1L, reinstall the game and then sync to the cloud to pull in the old game save file. This is because the game save file auto syncs with the cloud when you exit the game. There is no on, off or auto options for the cloud on XB1. When you're connected to XB1L it's just on. Given what I said above this is near impossible to do because when this glitch occurs (atleast for me) you're kicked to your home screen and exited from the game...preforming an auto sync with the cloud at the same time.

The only other option would have been to have purchased yet another external hard drive and occasionally copy my data over. As long as I didn't leave it in because it would preform and auto sync with the cloud....

This whole thing is very frustrating.

With this game being still sort of in alpha (I say sort of because on console it's being sold as a finished game without any warnings which should probably change to game preview to avoid confusion) is there a way to possibly add a game save option? Maybe remove auto and add manual save or have multiple save options for one world? As I was talking to the XB1 customer support it was mentioned to me that that would have been my only option to load and old save.

Thank you Claire for all you help and support on this topic and as I stated above if you would like details or screenshots please let me know and I will be happy to provide.

Surprise surprise I didn't think it would

Be fixxed yet. Oh well back in April to check again now... as I said a month and a half/two months ago.. I didn't think it would be fixxed.

It's been like what, 4 or 5 months now?

Good luck to those who still play and actually have their 200+hour base still left.. at least in one piece anyway.

How can dlc skins be realised but this massive issue cannot be fixxed. Money...

disgusting!

yeah, this problem is ridiculous! Im may get rid of the game, And tell my buddies to do the same. it's just not even worth playing. because as soon as you get established somewhere and start to like what you have created and accumulated, it's all gone! nothing like that feeling, ill tell you what.

a manual save would at least take care of 75% of these complaints. because we may lose some progress but not back to day 1 crap again. not cool!

I know it's a lot of work but it's a worthwhile safety net don't you think? I mean you guys know how long some folks play this, and for it all to be so easily taken away is just disgusting. I mean some things in the map are finite and you can just lose em? wtf?!

my verdict is MANUAL SAVE OPTION! above all fixes. when it's this bad (and it is) that is a requirement to keep interest in my (and many others) opinion. I'd like to know when this issue is fixed in case I still have interest in playing. because that's the only way in interested at this point. 2x is eneugh already.

[sTATUS: LOGGED - IN PROGRESS]

Note: This issue can occur all over the world, but it is most noticeable when a base is wiped.

A strip of the terrain may have some trouble loading and it defaults to the Day 1 state.

There are no known workarounds, however the odds of it happening in the same area twice, is very small.

EDIT: It appears it is becoming more common and repeating in areas since the original post was made.

POTENTIAL WORKAROUND:

Player IBKillingFools has mentioned that hard resetting console after as crash has helped them avoid MD5 errors.

-------------------

UPDATE: The below message was given to me to pass onto you guys in regards to the issue with terrain regeneration.

The team call them MD5 errors - we've been calling then terrain rewrites and regens on the forums and this is where an area can revert to the Day 1 state.

Hi all!

We know you’ve been encountering a few MD5 errors recently and we wanted to explain a bit about them and what we’re doing to combat them.

Unfortunately, MD5 errors have a large number of different causes. In essence, though, they flag any part of a saved game’s map that is different than the world generation algorithm expects it to be. This can happen when the game crashes while it’s trying to save or if any of the changes we make or features we add impact the terrain generation pipeline. As we work to improve the game’s stability and fix any issues we find, you should encounter these MD5 errors less and less.

This has been—and will continue to be—an ongoing focus of ours. We really appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to improve your experience with 7 Days to Die.

--------------

UPDATE: We've recieved some reports of POIs changing from one to another. This is possibly caused by an MD5 error triggering in the area. The team are investigating this possible MD5 trigger now too.

--------------

UPDATE: A lot of players have asked about adding in a manual save option to the game. Which this sounds like a simple task that could temporarily help the issue. This is not as simple or temporary as it may seem. Not only would the UI need to changed to accommodate this new option but the team would need to dig into the core code of the game and change how the game saves. They would also need to work on how the game saves to the consoles and be sure Sony and MS approve of this. This is something that would take a considerable amount of time and resources. Afterwards the game still has the MD5 errors. It may not seem like it, but it is actually a lot quicker to hunt and fix the MD5 errors rather than digging into the core of the game and changing something so big.

Side note: Roland made a good point that adding a manual save also changes the design of the game and changes how it is played - Possibly one of the reasons manual save option was not added to PC. So if this was added in it would likely be removed afterward, which again is digging back into code to undo all that was done.

Has there been any thought to allowing users to make a copy of a game save? This should prevent needing to delve into the core code, and there are many ways to reduce any abuse of this capability, such as limiting people to a single game save copy or something like that. I have lost months of work between myself and my two friends with whom I usually play 7dtd. The issue or bug that caused the loss of work varies from complete corruption of a save (losing EVERYTHING!) and terrain/POI resets to these invisible collapsing spaces that prevent building in an area at all (sometimes in the middle of a HUGE build). I finally convinced my two friends not to give up playing 7dtd, because these issues have ruined so much of the enjoyment of the game for all of us. Now, after a crash in our new world (now up to day 89), I have to load another save before the game will load our new world, every time. I NEVER am able to boot my console, launch 7dtd, and load our newest world. First, I must load another world or else when the new world loads and reaches "building environment ", the game exits and I am returned to the Xbox home screen, no error of any kind. When playing in our newest world and the game crashes, I reboot my Xbox (to reduce chances of MD5 errors), but I must load another save before 7dtd will load our newest world save. Even when I exit the game normally, the next time I launch 7dtd, I must load another save before loading our newest world save.

Please reconsider adding some way to backup and restore saves in the event these bugs cause catastrophic losses, or complete losses, for these saves that we spend so much time and effort to build. I am afraid I am about to lose our world that replaced the world that was lost, that replaced the world that had months of work lost. I have not been able to play any world for any significant length of time that has not become corrupted or had tremendous amounts of work lost, except for our newest world that has me afraid that it is about to be lost as well. I love this game, which is what makes this so frustrating, and if this newest world fails completely, I am afraid my friends will never be convinced to play 7dtd on console ever again.

Please... I beg you to give us some way to recover our worlds when these bugs occur.

-TSForrest

Disappointed does not come close

My husband and I NORMALLY love to play this game. The game crashed on us last week on random gen and all the work we had done at about day 10, half of the house had restored to day 1. We started over and this go round we were 1 hour from the first hoard on day 7 in Navezgane. We built all the way down under the house and had a pit. I had just finished moving EVERYTHING under ground and the game crashed AGAIN!!!! It would definitely be nice to have another save point added to go back to. We are beyond frustrated. This is also the ONLY game I enjoy playing with my husband! PLEASE get this fixed ASAP!!!!

[sTATUS: LOGGED - IN PROGRESS]

UPDATE: A lot of players have asked about adding in a manual save option to the game. Which this sounds like a simple task that could temporarily help the issue. This is not as simple or temporary as it may seem. Not only would the UI need to changed to accommodate this new option but the team would need to dig into the core code of the game and change how the game saves. They would also need to work on how the game saves to the consoles and be sure Sony and MS approve of this. This is something that would take a considerable amount of time and resources. Afterwards the game still has the MD5 errors. It may not seem like it, but it is actually a lot quicker to hunt and fix the MD5 errors rather than digging into the core of the game and changing something so big.

With that you (not Clare, whoever said you should post it here, developer whatever) pretty much dug your own grave.

Most people don't understand why it's supposed to be so difficult to add manual saving because well 20 years old games have manual saving so why not here. Also the constant saving (broken savesystem) is one of the reasons why the game is always skippy and laggy in the first place and saying that it's definitely easier to just find and fix the MD-whatever-error was a "bad" choice of words.

I'm pretty sure the people who experienced this error couldn't care less about "this would change the way how the game is played and it would most likely be removed afterwards", because they would be glad to be able to play the game at all without the fear of loosing everything they build again.

My husband and I NORMALLY love to play this game. The game crashed on us last week on random gen and all the work we had done at about day 10, half of the house had restored to day 1. We started over and this go round we were 1 hour from the first hoard on day 7 in Navezgane. We built all the way down under the house and had a pit. I had just finished moving EVERYTHING under ground and the game crashed AGAIN!!!! It would definitely be nice to have another save point added to go back to. We are beyond frustrated. This is also the ONLY game I enjoy playing with my husband! PLEASE get this fixed ASAP!!!!

there is a solution if your on the PS4 , you can back up your save regularly with a USB memory stick , i tend to close down every two hours and do a USB back up , also i save and exit the game away from my base cause i have had the MD5 error with out a crash in game but a crash after i saved and exited the game

Base completely changed

(Xbox)Me and a friend had found a military Base yesterday, high concrete walls all around, barbed wire, you could only get in by building stairs over it. There was two buildings/bunkers, two watching towers, a few tents. We starting adding spikes outside it, extended the buildings inside it, had loads of resources etc. Was playing for couple of hours until it crashed on us. When it loaded back into the game, it had spawned us in the same location but completely different Base. No concrete walls, just surrounding by sand bags, couple of tents. All our stuff disappeared, no more spikes and surrounded by land mines.

We're completely gutted we've lost it all. We have a pic of the original Base because he wanted to show a friend. Shame I can't add the pic here.

(Xbox)Me and a friend had found a military Base yesterday, high concrete walls all around, barbed wire, you could only get in by building stairs over it. There was two buildings/bunkers, two watching towers, a few tents. We starting adding spikes outside it, extended the buildings inside it, had loads of resources etc. Was playing for couple of hours until it crashed on us. When it loaded back into the game, it had spawned us in the same location but completely different Base. No concrete walls, just surrounding by sand bags, couple of tents. All our stuff disappeared, no more spikes and surrounded by land mines.

We're completely gutted we've lost it all. We have a pic of the original Base because he wanted to show a friend. Shame I can't add the pic here.

same thing happened to me i was using a forge cabin (cabin that has a forger already in it ) and it reset to a gun safe cabin (square cabin wrap around deck and gunsafe on 1st floor ) i immediately exited the game and reloaded it and it turned back to a forge cabin without my loot of course its harsh , it happend on day seven to i spent the night on a rock surounded by spikes but it didn't reset my scavenging skill so i tweaked the game setting to reset loot in 5 days and started a new base far far away from that POI , after horde night i played a few game days with out Z's with block durability set to 25 to restock and tweaked my setting back to normal , up side my mining skill flew up and by the time to loot respawned my scavenging was at 68 to i got way better loot anyways

Archived