A16 - CHS - Classic Horde Survival

Valmar

Alright so i have been playing for some hours already with the reduced UMA tweak (didn't remove them manually, just dl-ed your latest version) and it works more than great. Ram usage dropped by 1.2 gb and everything is smooth!

I didn't have the time to do a review kind of thing before (regarding all the RAM issues) so i might aswell do it now.

In general the game feels more like an early game adventure where you will often encounter pressure situations. Your skills will be tested, no more superman mode through towns and other kinds of POI by day 5 already. Of course this may be a temporar side effect of the fact that there are enough new content like items (some nice details!) and skills (in skills i also include books. this is actually a pretty good skill lvling system!) that will keep you on a struggle-like condition while finding how things work. There is not really a need for a grind (like mass crafting axes to lvl up toolsmithing. you can do it but you 're fine without it), which is absolutely great. I just passed the first week's horde. It was a pretty nice banging on the building i have made my camp at. In the middle of the night their spawn rate reduced to 1 at a time and i went downstairs, in the darkness, for some melee combat. Melee feels great with one-hit-kill headshots with a yellow hunting knife. Just some hours before morning came up, a second wave of the horde assaulted my building for some extra fun.

There are missing some small details, like extra juicy info on some items or skills (and the recipes you learn from them) but these details can feel kind of optional regarding someone's standards.

Overall, this is an entirely different style of how 7dtd can play out and it's awesome!

Sorry for my (potentially) bad english and wall of text, felt like leaving this 'well done' comment already.

There is a way, yes. You'd have to manually add the relevant XML code to two files. Its easy to do (copy/paste, just follow instructions):

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?56082-Mod-Resource-45-Slot-Backpack

You'll be wanting the "RAW CODE" version and add it manually.

I might add a pre-made version of this at some point, similar to how I did to Valmod.

Also glad to hear the UMA changes helped so dramatically.

Awesome, as soon as I posted that. I saw your mod in the mod section. I will definitely be using this soon.

Thank you again good sir.

[snip]

Overall, this is an entirely different style of how 7dtd can play out and it's awesome!

Sorry for my (potentially) bad english and wall of text, felt like leaving this 'well done' comment already.

Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear you're having fun and that the change fixed your memory issues.

Awesome, as soon as I posted that. I saw your mod in the mod section. I will definitely be using this soon.

Thank you again good sir.

No problem.

Still loving this mod. With the added 45 Backpack Expansion makes it that much more sweeter!

I do not get to play much but I've made it Day 7, like hercratoras has said there is no need to grind at all. Which I absolutely love.

I am sure Valmar that this mod is still in a work of progress. But some things I've noticed is how do I go about retrieving an Anvil or Forge for some of the items? Also I "Unlocked Iron Bow" but theres no bow to build.

Just in case I went into creative mod to see all of the weapons and I can confirm there is now "Iron Bow", just a little confused on some items like this that appear to be unlocked but no way to make em.

Thank you again Valmar. All of your mods are the "Bees Knees"!

Forge is not craftable, not really all that useful in the CHS mod. You'd have to find one. The only thing you can craft in it is forged iron, though. So its pretty pointless, as even that isn't largely used.

As for the iron bow, sorry. That was a mistake left in the progression.xml. I will fix that. There is no ironbow or iron crossbow in CHS.

Gotcha!

Forged Iron is good for some items though. Like I believe the Wrench needs it as a "Repair" item but so far I've found forged iron from places like garages where there is an axle (I believe its an axle for a car or something) and using the wrench on it grants me a forged iron piece.

Thank you so much sir. Really did not mean to make you work, just loving this mod!

As a Hunter I spend 10 points to Improvised Armor now have cloth, hide and iron armor, but no leather and scrap. Should the sort order the other way around: cloth, hide, leather, scrap, iron? After spending the 10 points, I'm now lvl 4 in imporvised armor. Also the description text and the title of the perk are the same. And, last but not least: try to make cloth oder leather armor at the workstation I need a sewing kit, but it seems, there is no slot for it or a symbol in the slot.

edit:

now I understand:

<recipe name="ironHelmet" unlock_level="3"/>

<recipe name="ironChestArmor" unlock_level="3"/>

<recipe name="ironLegArmor" unlock_level="3"/>

<recipe name="ironBoots" unlock_level="3"/>

<recipe name="ironGloves" unlock_level="3"/>

it should be 30 and not 3

As a Hunter I spend 10 points to Improvised Armor now have cloth, hide and iron armor, but no leather and scrap. Should the sort order the other way around: cloth, hide, leather, scrap, iron? After spending the 10 points, I'm now lvl 4 in imporvised armor. Also the description text and the title of the perk are the same. And, last but not least: try to make cloth oder leather armor at the workstation I need a sewing kit, but it seems, there is no slot for it or a symbol in the slot.

edit:

now I understand:

it should be 30 and not 3

Yea there are a few skills that are like this, where it seems like the order is wrong. I should of wrote those down. But yes I remember putting a few points into "Armory" I believe is the skill where all off the specific types of armors can be unlocked from.

I wanted to get it up for the Leather set but it instead unlocked the Iron armor sets but you can not make Iron armor sets without having the leather pieces first.

Again I should of wrote all that down but I was caught off guard at the time. I'll try to replicate in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

@Val

Sorry to bother you again sir.

I had to delete my old game...Damn BSOD caused my current game to corrupt. Never ending loading screen. I knew it was a matter of time(s) of BSOD's that would cause my game to become useless.

No matter. I wanted to try this mod but with Random Gen world this time.

Val did you change how the biomes are generated with this mod? I do not see any changes that you may have done and pointed out on your original post.

So my question to you, is it possible to try out some RGMixer Mods with this mod?

I made a game with seed name "ValCHSMod" and it granted me a horrible world, haha. 2 or 3 small towns and the HUB of course...other than that its mainly burnt forest or wasteland biomes....really crazy!

I've yet to just try a different seed but I came across a few RGMixer mods like "Tins" and it got me wondering if it would work with this mod as well.

Thanks, Sam.

Hello Shadow. Sorry for not responding to the older posts. Honestly I hadn't noticed this topic had new replies or else I would had. I've addressed the mentioned issue with the iron armor and workbench toolslots.

Biomes.xml is slightly modified, yes. Though nothing drastic. You can use any rwgmixer type mod with this if you so desire. It won't break anything to do so - as unless the mod in question changes materials.xml or blocks.xml for some reason. If its just biomes.xml or rwgmixer.xml you should be golden.

@Val

Thank you sir! Exactly what I am looking for!

Not a problem on the late replies, I do not hold you against that at all!

Well from looking at Tins latest mod, it is only the rwgmixer.xml file - SWEET so nothing to worry about there!

I've made changes to the iron armor myself but I am at a loss about the "Workbench Toolslots" was there an issue there before you updated it? I do not recall any issues but thank you again Val!

@Val

Thank you sir! Exactly what I am looking for!

Not a problem on the late replies, I do not hold you against that at all!

Well from looking at Tins latest mod, it is only the rwgmixer.xml file - SWEET so nothing to worry about there!

I've made changes to the iron armor myself but I am at a loss about the "Workbench Toolslots" was there an issue there before you updated it? I do not recall any issues but thank you again Val!

Someone said they couldn't put the tools in the workbench such as the sewing kit or what have you. I didn't actually test that to see if it was an issue but looking at the block code I /assumed/ I knew what the issue was and rectified it.

Specifically:

<block id="1563" name="workbench">

<property name="Class" value="Workstation" />

<property name="Material" value="metal" />

<property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/>

<property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity" />

<property name="Model" value="Entities/Crafting/workbenchPrefab" />

<property name="MultiBlockDim" value="2,2,1" />

<property name="Place" value="TowardsPlacerInverted" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="1" />

<property name="HeatMapStrength" value="0.5"/>

<property name="HeatMapTime" value="1200"/>

<property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="25"/>

<!--<property name="RecipeList" value="backpack, workbench"/>-->

<!--<property name="CraftTimeMultiplier" value="0.5,1"/>-->

<property class="Workstation">

<property name="Modules" value="tools,output"/>

<!-- <property name="CraftingAreaRecipes" value="player,workbench" /> -->

</property>

<property class="RepairItems"> <property name="forgedIron" value="35" /> <property name="wood" value="50" /> </property>

<drop event="Harvest" name="" count="0" tool_category="Disassemble" />

<drop event="Destroy" count="0" />

<drop event="Destroy" name="workbench" count="1" tool_category="Disassemble" />

<property name="Group" value="Building" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="workbenchDesc"/>

<property name="EconomicValue" value="776" />

<property name="Place" value="TowardsPlacerInverted" />

<property name="RotationAllowed" value="pivotOnFloor" />

</block>

@Val: hey theres been a visual bug thats been bugging me that you might want to check on. This code in the progression.xml file is wrong:

<perk name="Improvised Armor" icon="armor_iron" description_key="improvisedArmorPerkDesc" title_key="Learn how to craft improvised armors for better protection. Level 10 unlocks leather. Level 20 unlocks scrap iron. Level 30 unlocks iron armors." max_level="30" skill_point_cost_multiplier="1" skill_point_cost_per_level="1" group="clothing">

The title key and description keys are reversed, causing the perk display to try to accommodate it.

@Val: hey theres been a visual bug thats been bugging me that you might want to check on. This code in the progression.xml file is wrong:

<perk name="Improvised Armor" icon="armor_iron" description_key="improvisedArmorPerkDesc" title_key="Learn how to craft improvised armors for better protection. Level 10 unlocks leather. Level 20 unlocks scrap iron. Level 30 unlocks iron armors." max_level="30" skill_point_cost_multiplier="1" skill_point_cost_per_level="1" group="clothing">

The title key and description keys are reversed, causing the perk display to try to accommodate it.

Good catch. Consider it fixed.

Thanks. This mode is my "go to" mod to figure out how things work in the xml files. For example, I noticed a zombie labeled "festering cadaver" fails to turn into a goreblock when opened and then closed (most others do this). Searched for that name in the entities file but nothing. Seems that label is placed by the localization file. So its really just one of the 4 types of "Joe" zombies. Those zombies use the generic loot container #15. That container is set not to destroy on close like many others. I hate zombie cleanup so I make the change to destroy on close. Learned a few new things.....

You can learn a lot by hunting down these anomalies. Thanks for all the creative work you did on these mods. Makes learning easy.

@Val Just playing a bit further in CHS and noticed a few things.

1. There is a recipe for cobblestones and cobblestones can be found in loot but there are no cobblestone frames in recipes or loot. I'm thinking you don't want players to build with cobblestone, so maybe remove the recipe?

2. Keeping with the idea of not allowing players to build strong forts, consider removing the wood arrow slit recipe. It can be upgraded with scrap to the max and if you dont mind the appearance, can be used to build a rather impenetrable fort considering the Z's do little block damage. I'd remove the upgrade ability for the other wood items like the wood panels for the same reason. I found wood frames in working stiff loot and these can be upgraded fully as well, but that seems ok as it is a rare find.

Thanks again for this fun mod.

• 1 month later...

Error on Loading

Hi, first time posting here so please be kind :)

Really enjoying your work Valmar, love Valmod and the complexity that it gives, and I had played CHS before the laatest update, due to a pc issue I've had to reinstall, and of course we are now on alpha 15. I've tried to install CHS both manually and via the 7d2dModLauncher linked, and everytime I run it, i get the following

2017-02-06T19:24:37 30.117 ERR Loading and parsing 'blocks.xml' (Block with id=533 references a not existing material 'Mcorn')

2017-02-06T19:24:37 30.119 ERR Loading of blocks aborted due to errors!

2017-02-06T19:24:37 30.123 ERR at BlocksFromXml.CreateBlocks (.XmlFile _xmlFile, Boolean _fillLookupTable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2017-02-06T19:24:38 30.633 ERR Loading and parsing items xml file (Unknown block name 'cntFridgeTop' in use_action!/ at ItemActionExchangeItem.ReadFrom (.DynamicProperties _props) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ItemClassesFromXml.CreateItems (.XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 )

2017-02-06T19:24:38 30.636 ERR Loading of items aborted due to errors!

2017-02-06T19:24:38 30.637 ERR at ItemActionExchangeItem.ReadFrom (.DynamicProperties _props) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ItemClassesFromXml.CreateItems (.XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Exception: Block with name 'treeTallGrassDiagonal' not found!

at BlockPlantGrowing.LateInit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Block.LateInitAll () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData.Init (System.String _name, .XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData.II (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData+TT.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager+DR.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is this just me being a twit with where I've set the folders to install to or have done something else wrong? And if so, any ideas on what I might have done wrong to get this?

• 4 weeks later...
guys could some1 give me a server with CHS for 7 days to die?

I can assist with that. Though is it really a dedicated server or is it a hosted server by a server provider? The method is a bit different for each but the basic principle is the same. You install the same way you do to singleplayer by replacing the files. The difference is where those files are located and how to get access to them.

If its a dedicated server on your pc then it will be in the dedicated server's install location. If its a hosted server by a provider you will need to use FTP (such as filezilla) to get access to the server's install directory to install the files there.

If its a hosted server I could do it for you if you PM your FTP details (dont share them here).

Note: I don't really recommend this mod for servers. It will be a lot more stressful than a typical 7DTD and performance may get impacted greatly.

• 1 month later...

Hey Valmar, i would like to know if that mod can be modified to these settings. If can, i would like to know if you can do that for me or say what i need to keep, also i would like NOT to start a new game so probably Starting class.. is useless.

Only

Classic zombies [ same description as you have in first post ] THIS IS MANDATORY

New weapons + mods [ same description as you have in first post ] I would like to have silencer, that's only reason

New combat system [ same description as you have in first post ]THIS IS MANDATORY

And maybe Starting class, but it not mandatory [ same description as you have in first post ]

Thanks.

Archived