Dangling Participles (Or Disjointed "Challenges")

I noticed a few tutorial "challenges", e.g. crafting and placing a land claim block, were tacked on in the latest update and appear after you've completed the short and sweet preliminaries. They are, of course, active and can't be overridden by, for example, marking an odd job active and the like. Ergo, the location icons are grayed out until they're done and you have "craft a land claim block," etc. following you around whereever you go until it's done.

Are these going to be added to those prelims at some point? I certainly hope not. Short and sweet is the way to go with those, methinks. Does everything need to be tutorialized? I don't think so. The land claim block, for example, might be suggested when first laying down a building block somewhere. Just that first instance and, maybe, added to the "challenge" window somewhere other than prelims?

I learned most of what I know just looking through the menus to see what could be done. "Land Claim Block" would stick out to my mind just looking through the menus, but probably not to everyone considering most apparently weren't even stopping to read the lengthy descriptions of which activity accomplishes what.

Any word on this? (Kind of amazed "hold the axe" is considered a beginning objective while "find or craft a cooking pot" isn't, btw. Is that degree of granulation really necessary, do you think? Pretty sure most playing 7DTD have played video games before.)

4 hours ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

Kind of amazed "hold the axe" is considered a beginning objective

I want to be surprised, but I've seen "gaming journos" struggle with tutorials; I can't imagine they'd have an audience if this didn't need to be a thing for _someone_.

I just hope they'll get around to making the "training wheels mode" into a setting; with it off, auto-claim the "tutorial challenges" and just skip the "tutorial quest". It ain't a big deal, just some pointless clicking, but it's still pointless clicking.. :)

5 hours ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

Kind of amazed "hold the axe" is considered a beginning objective

Its a requirement for the harvest challenge. Not an objective in itself. Dont hold the axe, cant complete the harvest with axe challenge. 

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

auto-claim the "tutorial challenges" and just skip the "tutorial quest".

i've been using a little modlet i made a few years ago, around ver 16 or 17 that does that..

just make an axe, and find the trader

haven't tried it out on this version yet, but i'll get a round tuit

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2024 at 5:32 AM, theFlu said:

I want to be surprised, but I've seen "gaming journos" struggle with tutorials; I can't imagine they'd have an audience if this didn't need to be a thing for _someone_.

The amount of screaming at let's players missing super obvious things means even people that play games for a LIVING miss obvious things to you and me. It's hilarious and frustrating

1 hour ago, warmer said:

The amount of screaming at let's players missing super obvious things means even people that play games for a LIVING miss obvious things to you and me. It's hilarious and frustrating

Ye, true - although, streamers aren't that bad. A streamer sucking at games is just a part of the entertainment; they might be "just funny personalities". Journos on the other hand are trying to convey "professional respectable opinions" about games; the ability to play at a decent level is a prerequisite to command any respect.

As in, I like mentally yelling at jawoodle not figuring out how "jumping while reloading" works in 7dtd; but I wouldn't take his word on the quality of a platformer game ... :)

And well, if I don't ignore them, the game crashes every time I try to set down a spike trap. Apparently, this is an issue that's been moving around among tutorial objectives since at least July. Yes, I'd visited the trader and was going to knock out the dig your own grave tutorial before saying hasta la vista to him, but couldn't stand the idea of those things following me around until they were done in the normal course of playing, if at all, and the game choked on the spike trap. Strange that it doesn't do that in the normal course of gameplay whether or not you've visited a trader, but only if you haven't completed that tutorial 'dig up the buried supplies' objective at the very beginning. I'd look for the issue there.

No, I didn't report it as a bug. Considering how long it's been around, TFP must know about it.

19 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

And well, if I don't ignore them, the game crashes every time I try to set down a spike trap. Apparently, this is an issue that's been moving around among tutorial objectives since at least July. Yes, I'd visited the trader and was going to knock out the dig your own grave tutorial before saying hasta la vista to him, but couldn't stand the idea of those things following me around until they were done in the normal course of playing, if at all, and the game choked on the spike trap. Strange that it doesn't do that in the normal course of gameplay whether or not you've visited a trader, but only if you haven't completed that tutorial 'dig up the buried supplies' objective at the very beginning. I'd look for the issue there.

No, I didn't report it as a bug. Considering how long it's been around, TFP must know about it.

That has never happened to me, so I wouldn't say that this is an obvious issue that they must know about.  The only certainty that TFP would know about a bug would be actually reporting the bug to them.

On 10/14/2024 at 12:37 AM, InfiniteWarrior said:

Ergo, the location icons are grayed out until they're done and you have "craft a land claim block," etc. following you around whereever you go until it's done.

41 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

couldn't stand the idea of those things following me around until they were done in the normal course of playing

Go into the quest screen and remove the compass icon from the challenges and none of them will ever follow you around on the screen again. I often go for several in-game days at a time without checking the challenges screen because I turned the tracking off and none of it follows me on screen anywhere. If you have a location icon grayed out any time, you can go into the quest screen and find the quest you want tracked and put the compass icon on it and it will go from gray to orange immediately.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Roland said:

If you have a location icon grayed out any time, you can go into the quest screen and find the quest you want tracked and put the compass icon on it and it will go from gray to orange immediately.

I'm aware of all that. These are different. They're tacked on as part of the tutorial as though they were among that first line of "challenges" that must be completed for the vendor directive to fire and accompanied by a challenge icon in the list. Attempting to refocus the UI to an odd job location like the "special job" Rekt offers you does nothing. Those challenges are active and override everything else until a specific condition is met, which I haven't determined as yet.

Others have experienced it as well: https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/1/4517757613973661170/

Edited by InfiniteWarrior (see edit history)