FunPimps really missed the mark on 1.0

chadmeister26

There are some really basic things that FunPimps really missed the mark with on 1.0. What are some of the things you think they missed?

Some really basic ones that I can think of off the top of my head

- Water and food levels to the UI. I shouldn't have to go to the stat page or download a mod to get this.

- Adding more material import slots to the forges. Nobody wants to sit there with two slots waiting for their forges to fill up. Takes hours and hours to fill a forge. People with already limited game time due to work and family commitments understand this. 

- Faster material import to forges. Maybe add a couple of more bellows slots or add a improved bellows to the game. Or maybe they can adjust the timers down to 1 to 1 for each material.

6 minutes ago, chadmeister26 said:

- Water and food levels to the UI. I shouldn't have to go to the stat page or download a mod to get this.

Launch the game, read the tips on the loading screen. One of them clearly states where these indicators are located. They were already in A19, and perhaps earlier.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/37328-thoughts-for-next-update-beyond-10/#comment-567395

23 minutes ago, chadmeister26 said:

There are some really basic things that FunPimps really missed the mark with on 1.0. What are some of the things you think they missed?

Some really basic ones that I can think of off the top of my head

- Adding more material import slots to the forges. Nobody wants to sit there with two slots waiting for their forges to fill up. Takes hours and hours to fill a forge. People with already limited game time due to work and family commitments understand this. 

- Faster material import to forges. Maybe add a couple of more bellows slots or add an improved bellows to the game. Or maybe they can adjust the timers down to 1 to 1 for each material.

Food and water IS displayed on the UI, it’s on the bottom, the thin green and blue lines.

As far as the forge related stuff, I partially agree with you, which is why I put up the suggestion for “Industrial Forge, Ammo Press, and Stove”. Perhaps look into that, and if it matches what you are thinking, help support it. 
If not, come up with something else. Personally I don’t think the basic forge should get a buff like that unless maybe it’s through a mod you can get from trader or build.

6 hours ago, chadmeister26 said:

Adding more material import slots to the forges. Nobody wants to sit there with two slots waiting for their forges to fill up. Takes hours and hours to fill a forge. People with already limited game time due to work and family commitments understand this.

This is an intriguing statement and I'd like to know more. Why fill up the forge? Multiple forges doesn't satisfy production?

If I look to my own behavior, I add materials to the forge and then craft something. I will keep some iron and clay in a forge for convenience, but usually I'm running lead or brass through a forge for ammo, or running stone through for cement. So 6000 brass in and 6000 brass worth of casings out, probably at the same time. Later in the game I'll be running multiple forges dedicated to either ammo or possibly cement or steel depending on if I'm doing something with a horde base?

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

I usually keep a forge full of iron/clay in case I need/want to craft something.  But things like stone/brass/lead I generally craft everything I can while filling the forge up.  If I ever used glass, I'd probably keep a forge full of sand and lead (and whatever else glass takes) as well.

8 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I usually keep a forge full of iron/clay in case I need/want to craft something.  But things like stone/brass/lead I generally craft everything I can while filling the forge up.  If I ever used glass, I'd probably keep a forge full of sand and lead (and whatever else glass takes) as well.

The GOOD glass requires iron, clay, sand and lead to make!

8 hours ago, zztong said:

This is an intriguing statement and I'd like to know more. Why fill up the forge? Multiple forges doesn't satisfy production?

If I look to my own behavior, I add materials to the forge and then craft something. I will keep some iron and clay in a forge for convenience, but usually I'm running lead or brass through a forge for ammo, or running stone through for cement. So 6000 brass in and 6000 brass worth of casings out, probably at the same time. Later in the game I'll be running multiple forges dedicated to either ammo or possibly cement or steel depending on if I'm doing something with a horde base?

Why fill up the forge? You nailed it at the end pretty much. Cement and steel.

Having a bunch of extra forges have 2 major drawbacks:

1. Almost constant screamers

2. Lag. Once you get a bunch of crafting stations going simultaneously, you end up with lag. At least on console. The less crafting benches required, the better.

Well, you can spread out the forges if it's an issue with lag or screamers... or even just not have them at your main base.  Have a "forge" base 500-1000m away.  Only go there to smelt stuff or forge stuff.  Then you only deal with screamers when you go there and you only have lag while there.  Just an option if you want more forge speed with vanilla.

As a note, the devs said screamers will not spawn again for 21 (IIRC) minutes after they spawn, at least in that same area.  I haven't tested that to see if it's working that way, but I know I've had screamers appear at a mine and after I killed them, no more appeared for a long time even though I was mining iron, which generates a ton of heat (I don't crouch and I use an auger, so lots of heat), so it seems to be working that way.  So that means you deal with it once every 20-30 minutes or so if you remain in the area.  That isn't so bad, really.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Suxar said:

Launch the game, read the tips on the loading screen. One of them clearly states where these indicators are located. They were already in A19, and perhaps earlier.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/37328-thoughts-for-next-update-beyond-10/#comment-567395

I honestly did not know that. Thank you for pointing that out.

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Well, you can spread out the forges if it's an issue with lag or screamers... or even just not have them at your main base.  Have a "forge" base 500-1000m away.  Only go there to smelt stuff or forge stuff.  Then you only deal with screamers when you go there and you only have lag while there.  Just an option if you want more forge speed with vanilla.

As a note, the devs said screamers will not spawn again for 21 (IIRC) minutes after they spawn, at least in that same area.  I haven't tested that to see if it's working that way, but I know I've had screamers appear at a mine and after I killed them, no more appeared for a long time even though I was mining iron, which generates a ton of heat (I don't crouch and I use an auger, so lots of heat), so it seems to be working that way.  So that means you deal with it once every 20-30 minutes or so if you remain in the area.  That isn't so bad, really.

I still think that higher tech versions of basic crafting benches should exist.

They made the chem bench as the higher grade chemical maker compared to the campfire, and that went over VERY well.

So they should explore the option of other ones as well!!

They could even use it to add other materials into the game if they need to. I find it rather odd personally that melee weapons stop at steel, which is 75 crafting books, while guns stop at 100 crafting books. 
There are at least 4 variations of each type of firearm (rocket launchers don’t count), yet only 3 of melee. 
I’ve made my suggestion before about utilizing silver, gold, and diamonds (with a core of steel) to make end tier melee weapons, (of “pimp” quality, so to speak). 

So tying it back in with the crafting benches, a higher grade forge for example (maybe using both fuel and electric) could both:

- Process other materials faster and more efficiently, reducing the need to operate a bunch of forges simultaneously

- Be needed to refine silver and gold nuggets into ingots

The other crafting benches could use one too, a stove for example (I personally hate seeing campfires in my kitchen when a lot of other technology comes and goes).

2 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

The other crafting benches could use one too, a stove for example (I personally hate seeing campfires in my kitchen when a lot of other technology comes and goes)

Ahhh, i finally have traps and generators and vehicles using gas and solar! The base is lit up with lights and electric doors are locked and closed! Let's eat! Just let me ...add. firewood to my campfire ... i built indoors....on top of this stove... right next to this microwave.... and coffeemaker.... and toaster...none of which i have found a use for no matter how many books i read. Built my own 4x4 but this campfire, its all i got

yeah once you see it you see it :)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Ahhh, i finally have traps and generators and vehicles using gas and solar! The base is lit up with lights and electric doors are locked and closed! Let's eat! Just let me ...add. firewood to my campfire ... i built indoors....on top of this stove... right next to this microwave.... and coffeemaker.... and toaster...none of which i have found a use for no matter how many books i read. Built my own 4x4 but this campfire, its all i got

yeah once you see it you see it :)

Precisely my point!

On 9/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, chadmeister26 said:

Ohh. As far as I am concerned a lot might be improved upon 7DTDs gameplay. I feel like for the past 4-5 updates we have been stalling a bit, players would like to see new additions to the game finally. The most efficient way is to communicate to the playerbase the next updates. At least approximate changes and what is being worked on to hype up a bit, but without providing stiff dates. There is a roadmap but, I am skeptical personally, I feel like there will be a slowdown (at least with some content) of what is being promised. 

UI has two bars, one is blue, other one is green. 

- Faster material import to forges. Maybe add a couple of more bellows slots or add a improved bellows to the game. Or maybe they can adjust the timers down to 1 to 1 for each material.

So what is your solution, resources constantly siphoned to the forge, or rotating magically by themselves between forge and storage containers?

People with already limited game time due to work and family commitments understand this. 

This is the most valid complaint I have ever seen. I only play from update to update. If I were you I would completely focus on family, well-being, and work first.

14 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Why fill up the forge? You nailed it at the end pretty much. Cement and steel.

Maybe I'm misunderstand what "fill up the forge" means. I take that to mean you smelt enough of everything such that your forge cannot hold any thing more.

Where as I'm thinking "I don't have to max out the smelted materials to run 1000 cement through a forge. I can be smelting and producing at the same time."

Am I off in left field or lost in terminology? Please correct me if I am.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Maybe I'm misunderstand what "fill up the forge" means. I take that to mean you smelt enough of everything such that your forge cannot hold any thing more.

Where as I'm thinking "I don't have to max out the smelted materials to run 1000 cement through a forge. I can be smelting and producing at the same time."

Am I off in left field or lost in terminology? Please correct me if I am.

Smelting a full set of stone and only getting 1000 or so cement at a time is honestly really annoying.

Yes you can craft and smelt simultaneously, but having to baby forges to produce enough material is an absolute pain.

I know there will be the meta players that jump on and say to build more forges or build smaller bases, but simply the game isn’t played and enjoyed the same way by everyone. 

Either an upgraded type of forge as a whole or other available mods for it would be phenomenal.

Edited by GuardianReaper0 (see edit history)

I don't know why having two forges is "meta"... It is just common sense.  I almost always have two.  I might rarely add a third, but that isn't normal and the third usually doesn't even get used much.  And I build large bases for my regular base - usually somewhere around 40x40 and 2-3 floors.  And I also build a horde base that often is around 20x20 or larger with 2-3 floors, though the upper floors aren't usually completely enclosed, so don't need as many materials. 

It isn't the forges that slow down building these.  It is taking time to go mine.  I put in a stack of a resource into each slot in the forge and start it before I leave to do something else, like do a quest.  If I want to make something like cement or steel, I'll start that as well before leaving.  When I return, a good amount is completed.  Unless you are hanging around waiting for it to complete, it isn't a big deal.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

I don't know why having two forges is "meta"... It is just common sense.  I almost always have two.  I might rarely add a third, but that isn't normal and the third usually doesn't even get used much.  And I build large bases for my regular base - usually somewhere around 40x40 and 2-3 floors.  And I also build a horde base that often is around 20x20 or larger with 2-3 floors, though the upper floors aren't usually completely enclosed, so don't need as many materials. 

It isn't the forges that slow down building these.  It is taking time to go mine.  I put in a stack of a resource into each slot in the forge and start it before I leave to do something else, like do a quest.  If I want to make something like cement or steel, I'll start that as well before leaving.  When I return, a good amount is completed.  Unless you are hanging around waiting for it to complete, it isn't a big deal.

From what I have heard, meta is 3-4 forges +. Which is why I am pushing for an industrial forge that runs on fuel AND electricity and is UP TO 3 times as effective as a normal forge.

How many you need is entirely related to the number of people.  With 2 players, two forges is plenty, even for very large bases.  If you have more people, you may want more.  In any case, there's nothing wrong with having more than one forge... or any workstation.  And no need for a better one, imo.

6 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I play solo and I usually have 8.  4 for stone/cement, 2 for iron, 1 for lead, 1 for brass.  But I usually go through several hundred thousand concrete mix in a playthrough.

Ok, see I’ve been hearing that a LOT from players. I just didn’t know how common it was to end up with so many. The only people that I’ve heard “1 or 2” from are the PC players on here. Every CONSOLE player I’ve talked to has said bare minimum of 3, with a lot of them needing 3-4/ person. 
Since most of console players (that play long term games) play in groups of 2-3 on average, and working on group bases, and generally end up having 6-12 total forges.

I know on my previous playthrough where it was just 2 of us, I tried working with only 5 forges and it sucked. 

This is why I really thing higher technology for this kind of stuff would be beneficial, because once you get enough forges going, the lag really starts increasing.

11 hours ago, Riamus said:

Are you using mods by chance?

2 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Ok, see I’ve been hearing that a LOT from players. I just didn’t know how common it was to end up with so many. The only people that I’ve heard “1 or 2” from are the PC players on here. Every CONSOLE player I’ve talked to has said bare minimum of 3, with a lot of them needing 3-4/ person. 
Since most of console players (that play long term games) play in groups of 2-3 on average, and working on group bases, and generally end up having 6-12 total forges.

I know on my previous playthrough where it was just 2 of us, I tried working with only 5 forges and it sucked. 

This is why I really thing higher technology for this kind of stuff would be beneficial, because once you get enough forges going, the lag really starts increasing.

Are you using mods by chance?

No mods that in any way affect building or crafting.

Also, you are saying you see this from console players.  Keep in mind console players are still learning what is essentially a new game.  They expect the game to play like the old one, which isn't the case, so they are still learning how to do things.  Once they get used to the new game, you will likely see that drop for them as well.  After all, it is the same game now for PC and console, so if PC players who have been playing for a long time don't need so many, then it will end up being the same for console players once they've been playing longer.  You'll likely find a lot of your suggestions will end up not being so important to you once you've had a year with the new console version.

On 9/6/2024 at 7:28 PM, TWORDY said:

The most efficient way is to communicate to the playerbase the next updates. At least approximate changes and what is being worked on to hype up a bit, but without providing stiff dates. There is a roadmap but, I am skeptical personally, I feel like there will be a slowdown (at least with some content) of what is being promised. 

Okay, what about the roadmap is not a "communication of approximate changes"? What is missing there?

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Okay, what about the roadmap is not a "communication of approximate changes"? What is missing there?

When was the roadmap put up? Way before the v1.0 and other things. While some of those things definitely are still planned, I’m sure other things will come up as well. 
Especially with crossplay/ rented servers slated for Q4 of this year and bandits Q2 of 2025! 
Priorities will likely fluctuate, and we are just hoping the devs will keep us informed so that suggestions can be more relevant.

7 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

When was the roadmap put up? Way before the v1.0 and other things. While some of those things definitely are still planned, I’m sure other things will come up as well. 
Especially with crossplay/ rented servers slated for Q4 of this year and bandits Q2 of 2025! 
Priorities will likely fluctuate, and we are just hoping the devs will keep us informed so that suggestions can be more relevant.

Don't think so. This is the first time that they have published a roadmap, and one that lays out the plan a few major releases ahead.

This is a clear departure from the previous modus operandi. A roadmap till the end of projected development on their official page, instead of a list of features trickling out of development by small posts on twitter. I bet this is exactly what we will get for big features.

On 9/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Vaeliorin said:

I play solo and I usually have 8.  4 for stone/cement, 2 for iron, 1 for lead, 1 for brass.  But I usually go through several hundred thousand concrete mix in a playthrough.

I have the same 8, but the distribution is different.
3 - steel
2 - stone/cement
1 - lead
1 - brass
1 - everything else (ingots, nails, pipes, glass, etc.)

On 9/6/2024 at 3:36 PM, chadmeister26 said:

I honestly did not know that. Thank you for pointing that out.

You are not the first, and you are not the last. Many people do not see these stripes, especially those who are used to visual mods.

15 hours ago, meganoth said:

Don't think so. This is the first time that they have published a roadmap, and one that lays out the plan a few major releases ahead.

This is a clear departure from the previous modus operandi. A roadmap till the end of projected development on their official page, instead of a list of features trickling out of development by small posts on twitter. I bet this is exactly what we will get for big features.

Dude, their posted roadmap is from 2013… it’s 2024. I’m pretty sure there have been some priority changes in the past 11 years, and with console players having to buy the game again as of recently, they have a lot of the funding they need to push into further advancements.

if they have released another roadmap since then, then it just further proves my point, as not everything on the original one is completed. Why? Because direction and priorities tend to change.