Maximum Game/Loot Stage?

What's the maximum game stage?  I've been stuck at 1296 in wasteland for past in-game month.  (4 horde nights).

Haven't seen any demolishers appear in the past 4 horde nights either.  No demolishers at game stage 1296???

Character is level 300.  But I'm still trying to complete all quests offered by trader Joel in large wasteland city.

Also, any way to see total experience points earned?    Just curious to know...

Only stat that still appears to increase is zombies killed, currently at 34,838.

I understand player level is capped at 300.  But I thought game stage was a combination of player level as well as days alive.  Each day you survive, the game stage should increase.  This is not happening.  I've died twice in this game.  Maybe game stage would be higher if I hadn't died, but why has it stopped increasing?

Hmm, since you're stuck at 1296, I assume this is the group the game is throwing at you ( entitygroups.xml:14880 ) :

<entitygroup name="feralHordeStageGS1295">
        zombieJanitorRadiated
        zombieSoldierRadiated
        zombieNurse
        zombieLumberjackFeral
        zombieArleneRadiated
        zombieBoe
        zombieArlene
        zombieDarleneRadiated
        zombieSteveFeral
        zombieJoeRadiated
        zombieSteveRadiated
        zombieTomClarkFeral
        zombieUtilityWorkerFeral
        zombieMarleneFeral
        zombiePartyGirlFeral
    </entitygroup>

Doesn't contain demos or even vultures, at all.

Not sure of the mechanics there, having some groups with no demos sounds weird, maybe it's supposed to throw higher groups as the night goes on by design..?

Posted (edited)

Thanks!  @theFlu (I never thought I'd thank the flu, but hey.  Blunders never cease)

I poked around in Data/Config/gamestages.xml and found an object named "feralHordeStageGS4086"  but none numbered higher.  Looks like I'm far away from the max game stage.  But I still don't understand why my game stage has quit increasing.  Perhaps it stops once you reach max character level (300)?  Though without demolishers, horde nights are a way less exciting.  :(

Going back to to logs, I see that horde night began with spawns from feralHordeStageGS1269, then feralHordeStageGS1282, and ended on feralHordeStage1295.  All rather odd as the player table (the i key) lists gamestage as 1296.

Edited by slicksister (see edit history)

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

Hmm, since you're stuck at 1296, I assume this is the group the game is throwing at you ( entitygroups.xml:14880 ) :

<entitygroup name="feralHordeStageGS1295">
        zombieJanitorRadiated
        zombieSoldierRadiated
        zombieNurse
        zombieLumberjackFeral
        zombieArleneRadiated
        zombieBoe
        zombieArlene
        zombieDarleneRadiated
        zombieSteveFeral
        zombieJoeRadiated
        zombieSteveRadiated
        zombieTomClarkFeral
        zombieUtilityWorkerFeral
        zombieMarleneFeral
        zombiePartyGirlFeral
    </entitygroup>

Doesn't contain demos or even vultures, at all.

Not sure of the mechanics there, having some groups with no demos sounds weird, maybe it's supposed to throw higher groups as the night goes on by design..?

I think blood moon would be (from gamestages.xml):

<gamestage stage="1295">
            <spawn group="feralHordeStageGS1269" num="500" maxAlive="256" duration="2" interval="23"/>
            <spawn group="feralHordeStageGS1282" num="500" maxAlive="256" duration="2" interval="17"/>
            <spawn group="feralHordeStageGS1295" num="500" maxAlive="256" duration="7"/>

25 minutes ago, lord_ahriman said:

<spawn group="feralHordeStageGS1295" num="500" maxAlive="256" duration="7"/>

That looks quite familiar ;)

But yeah, that gives clues to the "how it spawns" -question. None of those three groups have demos in them, and if you're stuck there for some reason, you won't see one again.

1 hour ago, slicksister said:

Though without demolishers, horde nights are a way less exciting.  :(

Yeah, sucks that it turns completely predictable like that... for what it's worth, you can edit the file, or preferably throw a mod in to edit it; but then you'll still know exactly what shows up. Unless you want to write your own randomizer somehow.. outputting straight out mod files ... :)

Gamestage is also affected by the number (and level) of other players in the your group. I believe there is also a difficulty multiplier. There was a per-player cap a few alphas ago, not sure if that is still present or has changed.

So those really high game stages are for full groups on higher difficulties. It might not be achievable by solo players.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

Thanks @Pernicious.  I wonder if my dying 2 times was just a temporary game stage setback, or permanent.  i.e. does it reduce one's maximum attainable game stage, or just makes it take longer to get there?  If the later and 1296 is the final game stage attainable in SP, then I kindly suggest the Fun Pimps adjust the final feralHordeStage group members to include demolishers.  Ending the game's increasing difficulty on less than most difficult zombies is just wrong.

On 8/30/2024 at 6:31 PM, slicksister said:

Thanks!  @theFlu (I never thought I'd thank the flu, but hey.  Blunders never cease)

The Flu can be unwelcome but you might as well embrace him because he won't go away without a fight.

22 hours ago, slicksister said:

Thanks @Pernicious.  I wonder if my dying 2 times was just a temporary game stage setback, or permanent.  i.e. does it reduce one's maximum attainable game stage, or just makes it take longer to get there?  If the later and 1296 is the final game stage attainable in SP, then I kindly suggest the Fun Pimps adjust the final feralHordeStage group members to include demolishers.  Ending the game's increasing difficulty on less than most difficult zombies is just wrong.

The final game stage should be 1/3 feral radiated demolishers, 1/3 feral radiated screamers, and 1/3 feral radiated cops.

That would be fun.

EDIT: Formatting

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

Haven't seen any screamers show up to horde night.  Not sure how long they'd last, much less scream, as there's lots of hot lead flying thru the air.  But there would be no increase in danger, because by design horde night already throws the maximum zombie count at you anyways.  No slots left over for any called by screamers.  Maybe after horde night, if there were any remaining screamers they could call in more then.  During horde night spitting vultures, vomiting cops, and demolishers are the most damaging.  But only because their attacks are ranged or AOE and cause most structural damage to fortifications.  Perhaps when bandits are added <cough, checks watch> they could throw grenades.  That'd spice up horde night.  But would bandits attack on horde night?  perhaps zombiefied bandit grenadiers???

17 minutes ago, slicksister said:

Haven't seen any screamers show up to horde night.  Not sure how long they'd last, much less scream, as there's lots of hot lead flying thru the air.  But there would be no increase in danger, because by design horde night already throws the maximum zombie count at you anyways.  No slots left over for any called by screamers.  Maybe after horde night, if there were any remaining screamers they could call in more then.  During horde night spitting vultures, vomiting cops, and demolishers are the most damaging.  But only because their attacks are ranged or AOE and cause most structural damage to fortifications.  Perhaps when bandits are added <cough, checks watch> they could throw grenades.  That'd spice up horde night.  But would bandits attack on horde night?  perhaps zombiefied bandit grenadiers???

Pretty sure any game stage penalties from deaths are "permanent" in the sense that you only catch them up by living extra days. However, the penalty isn't applied to the cap. I.e two otherwise equal players, if one dies the other doesn't,  they both have the same cap, but the one who died will reach their cap a few days later.

That info was from several versions ago, I have no idea if it has changed.

Likewise, Screamers can't spawn during horde. I went through thr XML files to confirm that back in A19, may have changed since. It wouldn't really be an effective game mechanic anyway, since once you get late game, you really need a very powerful single thread CPU, tune the game settings, and have a base that lets you kill very, very fast (think multipath traps and a lot of explosives) to even have the chance of having most of them spawn in time. 

Otherwise, once you have hit the maximum zombie count, every zombie you kill spawns 50 blocks out. It takes time to run to you, and no more will spawn until you kill that one, no matter what the game stage says should be spawning.

From what I know and understand:
The highest gamestage you can get is by being level 300, having survived 300 days, being in the wasteland and having activated a tier 6 infected quest. That gives you a gamestage of 1548 from the formula [level * (1 + biome% + quest%) + daysSurvived + biomeFlat + questFlat] * 1.2 = [300 * (1 + 1.5 + 0.6) + 300 + 30 + 30] * 1.2.
The highest lootstage you can get is by being level 300, in the wasteland, within a tier 5 POI, with level 5 Lucky Looter, Q6 Rogue Hood or Q6 Scavenger set bonus (which I call Armor% here) and having consumed Eye Candy. That gives you a lootstage of 1356 from the formula [level * (1 + biome% + POI%) + biomeFlat + EyeKandyFlat + POIFlat] * (1 + LuckyLooter% + Armor% + EyeCandy%) = [300 * (1 + 1.5 + 0.25) + 30 + 5 + 15] * (1 + 0.25 + 0.2 + 0.1). There is a small bonus from opening some loot containers (mainly the end chests in POIs) as well but that isn't visible in the stat.
Do correct me if I forgot something.

4 hours ago, Gako21 said:

[level * (1 + biome% + quest%) + daysSurvived + biomeFlat + questFlat] * 1.2 = [300 * (1 + 1.5 + 0.6) + 300 + 30 + 30] * 1.2.

Do correct me if I forgot something.

I dont think so, the singularity should become visible at any point now.

@Mehvish99 As my orignal post stated, I'm stuck at game stage 1296.  Perhaps it does indeed increase when I'm on a quest within a POI boundary, but I haven't checked.  I was complaining because it hasn't changed for quite a while now and most troubling is the final 3 feralHordeStage groups zombies spawn from, as @lord_ahriman pointed out, are indeed feralHordeStageGS126, feralHordeStageGS1282, and feralHordeStageGS1295.  None of which contain demolishers.  So horde night is very predictable and readily dealth with.  It appears that not only does the player level cap at 300, but also the number of days alive contribution to game stage calculation as well.  Perhaps I should build my wasteland horde base within the boundary of a level 5 POI to get the maximum horde night game stage and encounter demolishers once again on horde night?

5 hours ago, slicksister said:

Perhaps I should build my wasteland horde base within the boundary of a level 5 POI to get the maximum horde night game stage and encounter demolishers once again on horde night?

Hmm.. if I'm reading him right, the POI level doesn't increase game stage, just the quest. And having a horde base within the boundaries of an active quest seems kinda complicated (quest deactivates on logout and wipes the base clean on activate). So you'd rebuild every login ;)

And even then, I'd assume the max cap (1296) is applied to the total, so it would just cut out the quest effect when you're already capped.

18 hours ago, slicksister said:

@Mehvish99 As my orignal post stated, I'm stuck at game stage 1296.  Perhaps it does indeed increase when I'm on a quest within a POI boundary, but I haven't checked.  I was complaining because it hasn't changed for quite a while now and most troubling is the final 3 feralHordeStage groups zombies spawn from, as @lord_ahriman pointed out, are indeed feralHordeStageGS126, feralHordeStageGS1282, and feralHordeStageGS1295.  None of which contain demolishers.  So horde night is very predictable and readily dealth with.  It appears that not only does the player level cap at 300, but also the number of days alive contribution to game stage calculation as well.  Perhaps I should build my wasteland horde base within the boundary of a level 5 POI to get the maximum horde night game stage and encounter demolishers once again on horde night?

I think best case scenario (assuming you indeed reached highest possible GS) is to check GS on every biome. Then you go to gamestages.xml and entitygroups.xml to have an idea where you could possible see demolishers and then building a propper defense.