Why Do I Sound Like a Truck?

This is real vague, but I seem to remember reading some patch note one time or another, on a pale blue night <snip> ... Sorry :) It went something like this: "The sound made when hitting zombies is decided live by the damage negated by armor vs to done the zed HP" ... now, I think it might apply to players too, and it might still be using old values to decide .. or some such. When it comes to sounds, I can intuitively use them, but I can't accurately describe any ... 😛 

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

That Rad Arlene is about to bonk Kage's medium armor (timed link), same deal? :

Can't hear it that well over the gunfire. Don't remember the particular videos, but I remember Undead Chill was melee fighting in the street and said, "Stop hitting my vehicle," but the zombie wasn't hitting her vehicle. It was hitting her. : ) GNS' videos as well. It's a 100% of the time thing, regardless the armor. That's not the sound that was playing in A21, which sounded more like a hard punch. Wouldn't even sound right on heavy armor, I don't think. It's the same hollow, metal sound that plays when they're beating on a vehicle or iron door.

15 hours ago, theFlu said:

That Rad Arlene is about to bonk Kage's medium armor (timed link), same deal? :

I didn't hear anything metal getting hit. Just some wet sounds and a gun. That sounds like random gun noise variation. I don't hear metal object being hit.

2 minutes ago, warmer said:

I didn't hear anything metal getting hit.

Was I tripping...? Two people now haven't heard the same .. Arlene runs in from the back behind our boy Tom, Tom gets shot in the face, Arlene takes the opportunity to dive in, swing and "clang", and Kage ends up at 148 HP. Clock, right after the sound, stops at 10:16. Now on ~5th look, it Might've been the cop spit hitting that vent structure but that's what I think the metal armor hits sound like as well...?

Or am I really tripping? :D

19 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Was I tripping...? Two people now haven't heard the same .. Arlene runs in from the back behind our boy Tom, Tom gets shot in the face, Arlene takes the opportunity to dive in, swing and "clang", and Kage ends up at 148 HP. Clock, right after the sound, stops at 10:16. Now on ~5th look, it Might've been the cop spit hitting that vent structure but that's what I think the metal armor hits sound like as well...?

Yes 😊

4 hours ago, theFlu said:

am I really tripping? :D

Nah. It's just more of a "thunk" than a "clang" sound. ;) Once heard, it can't be unheard. I'd be very surprised if everyone playing weren't experiencing it in their own games. It's extraordinarily noticable on this end, but then I'm more aurally than visually oriented. Stands out like a sore thumb to me.

On 8/27/2024 at 3:06 PM, theFlu said:

This is real vague, but I seem to remember reading some patch note one time or another, on a pale blue night <snip> ... Sorry :) It went something like this: "The sound made when hitting zombies is decided live by the damage negated by armor vs to done the zed HP" ... now, I think it might apply to players too, and it might still be using old values to decide .. or some such. When it comes to sounds, I can intuitively use them, but I can't accurately describe any ... 😛 

You win for constructive theory. :) Could that maybe have something to do also with you sounding like you're running across a wooden floor if anywhere near a fence when running through the grass in the Forest or, maybe, sounding as though running on snow when actually running on pavement in the Snow biome, etc.?

8 hours ago, theFlu said:

It looks like she also hits the metal block next to Kang.

Well... I did a test. As long as my armor is above 50, I get a metalllic sound being hit (the same I'm hearing on that sample vid). Below 50 (with large steps) I get "fleshy" sounds.

I have a vid of the test, I'lll upload it, but it'll take a bit to get approved-to-be-linked-here as it'll be odysee ...

8 hours ago, theFlu said:

I am a professional audio engineer. Basically, I can hear into the Matrix, so if there is any type of sound present I will hear it. 

Yes, when Arlene hits the player there is a metallic hit sound. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "clang". I would reserve that description for a higher pitched and/or more sustained metallic hit sound. This is more of a "clunk". 

But, this footage is tainted by the fact that her hand looked like it also hit the metal structure to her immediate right.

Samples from test, don't mind the leet editing.

First battering into 71 armor,

second, from about 27 secs, into 53

third, 39 secs, 36 armor.

https://odysee.com/@theFlu:d/armor-soundcheck:c?

3 minutes ago, Arez said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "clang".

Fair, wasn't really looking for a perfect name for the sound, was just describing the timing for it. But thanks, I'm not completely nuts! :)

This just solidifies my opinion that sound design is being severely neglected in favor of visuals, visuals, visuals, which is not unique to 7DTD*, but appears to be an industry trend. Perhaps it's just far more noticable in 7DTD than any other game I've played lately. The exact same sound file is being used for wildly different circumstances: player footfalls on different materials, e.g. clear pavement and even dry interior wood and tiles utilizing the same sound file utilized for walking on snow in the snow biome. Your avatar sounds like it's walking on snow nearly all the time, inside and out, whether it is or not. In this case, it's apparently the same sound file used when a zombie hits a vehicle. The hollow 'thunk' sound isn't even appropriate for the heavy, metallic Raider armor set, imo, much less the obviously leather sets. Ambient sounds could also use some love, imo. Disk space and memory both come into play, but disk space and memory are being hogged by graphics and particle effects in 7 Days at the moment. A better balance might be struck between audio and visuals is all I'll say.

*I think it not unique to 7DTD as it took a mod (Improved Horse Step Sounds, to be precise) that prioritized horse hoof falls over ambient sounds in Skyrim and added sounds of horse hooves falling on different materials to fix the issue of horse steps falling silent as you rode around Skyrim and/or monotonously sounding the same regardless of material being struck.

This particular sound is so blatantly off, it's distracting. I'm using the Ambient Sound Customizer mod for 7DTD, atm. I'll see if something can be done about it there, but really think it would be in the game's best interest to mix this one up.

9 hours ago, Jugginator said:

It appears to be a check for >= 56

But but ... my test clip there has a 53.88 giving metallic sounds (at 28 secs). Char-sheet issue, or changed for 1.1? ... prolly not really worth the trouble, but it made me doubt myself for a sec :D

30 minutes ago, InfiniteWarrior said:

This just solidifies my opinion that sound design is being severely neglected in favor of visuals,

You ain't completely wrong; some parts of the sound system tend to be really off with a lot of x.0 releases (directional sounds etc), but they usually get some love over the stabilization. Some sounds are odd, like the eating sounds sound like a "mix of eating and an error message", somehow. :)

20 minutes ago, theFlu said:

eating sounds sound like

Ugh! Don't remind me of the eating sounds, please. Eww! :) What's hilarious is when that spindly little dead tree from video games, circa 1998, makes the exact same sound as a fully grown tree falling when you fell it. I'll have to place this one second in the unintentionally hilarious bin. 

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

But but ... my test clip there has a 53.88 giving metallic sounds (at 28 secs). Char-sheet issue, or changed for 1.1? ... prolly not really worth the trouble, but it made me doubt myself for a sec :D

Oh weird, yeah likely all moot anyway, I swear I had the noise around that too but it stopped doing it until I bumped it to slightly over 56. Either way if it's something deemed easy to fix up for the future it would go based off of the strongest material armor you have, so only heavy armor (or if wearing one piece) would produce the sound rather than an armor value.