Game eats RAM like crazy! (Unstable Performance)

Posted (edited)

And I play the game in single-player and have a pretty capacious progression that seriously affects computer performance. I have a far from old PC, and to see that 7 days to die runs bad is sad.

CPU: Ryzen 5500
GPU: RX 6600 XT (8 GB VRAM)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-3200

Game runs on HDD (Can drop to SSD but i don't think it will make situation better).

I usually put a Youtube clip on the second monitor, the browser is Vivaldi so it eats up RAM no better. I have more than once had situations where the browser froze on one frame, and had to reload the page. 

What about the game, the game hangs very often for a serious 1 to 30 seconds. And this is taking into account that I have not even started to build anything serious. No mods either. I remember Unturned where I was building a huge project of the whole city, although there the performance was terrible, but even there I did not have freezes as in 7DTD.

Moreover the lighting in this game kills the performance completely. I can have 15 FPS at night at my base and maximum 50 FPS during the day. I can certainly assume that I played with the graphics settings, but does it make sense to disable everything except shadows and textures to make the game work normally? If the result will be the same, what's the point of turning the settings to minimum?

Edited by Unamelable (see edit history)

Disable Dynamic Mesh to reduce RAM usage in the game.

Game and saves should be on an SSD or better for best performance. Most freezes are likely the client attempting to load/unload data from your super slow storage.

It is more important to have save files on fast storage than the game client as loading/unloading world data is going to be the biggest hit.

Freezes up to 30 seconds indicates you have some other issue though. The game doesn't do that even on my min-spec test PC with a Q6600, a GTX650, and platter drives. Sure it struggles to hit stable 60FPS, and I might do a momentary dip to 5FPS when entering a city as large POI's are loaded, but it is very brief. No more than three seconds.

Be certain to exclude the client and save folders from security software to prevent holdups there. 

Unturned isn't fully voxel, and barely has structural integrity to calculate. Plus the textures are a fraction of the resolution as 7 Days. Not a great comparison there.

I would suggest taking a stab at some of the tips in the Support FAQ. If that doesn't work, then follow the instructions in the Pinned thread on how to report an issue.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Disable Dynamic Mesh to reduce RAM usage in the game.

Game and saves should be on an SSD or better for best performance. Most freezes are likely the client attempting to load/unload data from your super slow storage.

It is more important to have save files on fast storage than the game client as loading/unloading world data is going to be the biggest hit.

Freezes up to 30 seconds indicates you have some other issue though. The game doesn't do that even on my min-spec test PC with a Q6600, a GTX650, and platter drives. Sure it struggles to hit stable 60FPS, and I might do a momentary dip to 5FPS when entering a city as large POI's are loaded, but it is very brief. No more than three seconds.

Be certain to exclude the client and save folders from security software to prevent holdups there. 

Unturned isn't fully voxel, and barely has structural integrity to calculate. Plus the textures are a fraction of the resolution as 7 Days. Not a great comparison there.

I would suggest taking a stab at some of the tips in the Support FAQ. If that doesn't work, then follow the instructions in the Pinned thread on how to report an issue.

Can i somehow increase performance in my base? Im not exactly know what tanks my FPS there. (About lightning - i guess there is not solution to this because fire sources like candles and torches eats performance as electrical bulbs

Screenshot_4.png

Also i dropped game to SSD now its silky smooth. Maybe i have to run defragmentation cuz i didn't do that since never

Edited by Unamelable (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Unamelable said:

Can i somehow increase performance in my base? Im not exactly know what tanks my FPS there. (About lightning - i guess there is not solution to this because fire sources like candles and torches eats performance as electrical bulbs

Screenshot_4.png

Also i dropped game to SSD now its silky smooth. Maybe i have to run defragmentation cuz i didn't do that since never

It is normal that the game has poor performance on HDD.  Especially during the unload unused assets stuff that runs every 20 minutes.  That can actually freeze your game for many seconds or even a few minutes on HDD.  SSD doesn't have that problem.  Defragging your HDD won't really improve anything (regarding this issue) and SSD should not be defragged.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Unamelable said:

Screenshot_4.png

1.0 optimizations should help out, but for now it's likely reflections/ssao/ss reflections/shadows (your base has a lot of tree shadows hitting it, which are all live-time updates/needs to be calculated quite a bit due to the voxel nature of this game) causing this, try tinkering with them. Also, the Dynamic Resolution set to Scale can help out quite a bit, about 92% it's hard to notice a difference, and it's an 8% reduction in render scale which can help FPS a bit.

Also, an SSD is certainly a huge boost for this game, really. That's probably the cause of most of your long stutter issues. You can also consider utilizing the new region reset feature  to clean up old/unvisited regions, just make sure before turning it on that you've placed a bedroll or land claim at locations that you don't want reset (like a mine)