Ideas for a security system

Peter Daines

Hello there,

I have been playing this game for a few months now, but I am totally new to this forum so this idea may have been posted by someone already. 

I  am playing single player in Navezgane. I always appreciate any kind of RPs and interactions in games and I got this idea...

Would it be possible in the future to connect all my cameras to one crafted monitor where I could oversees my base entrances, or better yet taking control over turrets remotly? 

Now this may sound a little bit wierd and unnecessary for the gameplay but, I just recently dig out a panic room under my house and while hearing the monsters out there it would be fun to watch them crawl around from my save place or interact further at a distance. 😁

Also, would it be possible in the future to add a trapdoor with spikes under it? Something that would be invisible to the eyes of the hostiles so they would step on it and fall through? Or maybe remotly open it by myself when a zombie/zombies are standing on it? (This idea I wrote because zombies are smart and they are bypassing digged holes).

Please let me know what do you think about this. It is nothing serious just some spice for the fun. 

Have a great day everyone. 

There is or was a mod to have a working tv or monitor in-game, never used it so I can't judge if it is possible to use it that way. But one thing is certain, you would need a mod to do this, this late in development I am quite sure it won't be added as a feature by TFP.

Also a bit of warning, an underground bunker isn't easy to manage, you need lots of automatic traps, otherwise zombies will eventually dig through your walls and surprise you 😉

For the zombies you don't need trapdoors. Just use spike traps openly and (very important) plant them flush with the ground. I.e. just dig one-block deep rows of holes and put the spike traps into those holes so that the top of a spike trap is the same height as the ground floor.

Zombies will treat spike blocks identical to dirt blocks so a spike trap on top of the ground would be an obstacle while dug-in spike traps just look like flat ground. And once a spike trap is broken there is only a hole left that will be considered an obstacle as well so the zombies will then run over the spike trap next to it.

No idea if bandits will be intelligent enough to see the spike traps though.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

There is or was a mod to have a working tv or monitor in-game, never used it so I can't judge if it is possible to use it that way. But one thing is certain, you would need a mod to do this, this late in development I am quite sure it won't be added as a feature by TFP.

Also a bit of warning, an underground bunker isn't easy to manage, you need lots of automatic traps, otherwise zombies will eventually dig through your walls and surprise you 😉

For the zombies you don't need trapdoors. Just use spike traps openly and (very important) plant them flush with the ground. I.e. just dig one-block deep rows of holes and put the spike traps into those holes so that the top of a spike trap is the same height as the ground floor.

Zombies will treat spike blocks identical to dirt blocks so a spike trap on top of the ground would be an obstacle while dug-in spike traps just look like flat ground. And once a spike trap is broken there is only a hole left that will be considered an obstacle as well so the zombies will then run over the spike trap next to it.

No idea if bandits will be intelligent enough to see the spike traps though.

Thank you for your reply,

I understand the development is already very far. I will stick with what the original designers gives me, because I am not a mod fan. :D 

Regarding that underground base. I know zombies tend to go straight to you, so I only built the cellar under the house as a storage and workplace for workstation and the panic room just for show. :) I am defending my house above and my house is surrounded with a wide and deep steel moat. They just fall in and I shoot them from the higher ground. :D But it is true that few times they managed to break through into the cellar during the blood moon. HAHA. 

I think Xyth just updated his CCTV mod just yesterday (March 12th).

https://7daystodiemods.com/cctvs-mod/

I don't think they allow you to take control of turrets but I think that just being able to have them is amazing.

Hats off to Xyth for this and other mods he has added to game. As matter of fact hats off to all the modders who add very interesting mods to this game.

:thumb:

EDIT: Was just reading through new posts and saw Xyth has made his own post about it...

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

On 3/12/2024 at 6:42 AM, Peter Daines said:

Also, would it be possible in the future to add a trapdoor with spikes under it? Something that would be invisible to the eyes of the hostiles so they would step on it and fall through? Or maybe remotly open it by myself when a zombie/zombies are standing on it? (This idea I wrote because zombies are smart and they are bypassing digged holes).

In addition to what meganoth said, if you really wanted to have a "trap door" experience, you could rig up a powered door (either steel or garage) and position it sideways over a hole with spikes. You just have to make sure it is anchored to a solid block (it won't sit directly on top of spikes). Then you connect the door to a motion sensor that is pointed at the door and set to only trigger when enemies/animals come into view. Set up correctly, when the camera sees an enemy, the door will power on and open up. Anything standing on the door will fall into the pit with spikes.

Keep in mind, though, spikes will take awhile to outright kill stronger enemies, and you'll be repairing them constantly. And you also have to make sure that the path over the door is the only viable path for the zombies. If they have other ways to get into your base, they will always choose the most optimal path which may not be over your trap.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

In addition, there are fake floor blocks that break when stepped on.  There is a delay, though.  That means that if zombies aren't stopped while on it, it'll break after they are already past.  So you'd need to set stuff like that up with something that slows the zombie down right past it so they pause for a second so that they are still on it when it breaks.  That being said, such things are one-offs.  You might get others that fall into the hole afterwards if there aren't other paths to take but at that point, why bother covering it in the first place?  Zombies aren't smart enough to avoid the holes if spikes are flush with the ground anyhow.  Not really the best option for defense but it can be done if you're interested in the aesthetic of it.

Regarding CCTV (security camera) stuff... from what has been discussed regarding the CCTV mod linked above (I haven't yet used it though it sounds great and I still might some day), it can really lower your FPS because it's rendering stuff from all the cameras at once instead of only just the single player camera (your own view).  If you have a good computer, that shouldn't be too much of a problem as xyth mentioned in the thread for his mod, but for anyone on a lower spec computer, it could be.  I'd assume the same issue would also affect it if done in vanilla.  They aren't going to want to have anything in vanilla that would add significantly more lag for their players who have lower spec computers.

I would definitely consider trying out that mod, though.  Mods aren't bad.  I am someone who prefers the vanilla experience in games most of the time and don't use many mods, but mods don't have to change the vanilla experience.  Having a CCTV setup isn't really changing your gameplay from vanilla.  You just have a monitor to view camera angles.  In the end, you're not really going to just sit there and watch the cameras to find zombies.  It'll be mostly just a novelty.  So not really something that changes your vanilla experience.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Really I want more traps 

Wall spikes that work

Steel spikes 

Razor wire (stronger barbed wire and uses steel) looks like the stuff in the pois! 

Flamethrower trap! We got flaming pipes! Come on!!! 

A flinger trap too fling zombies away! 

And maybe a stationary junk turret 

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Really I want more traps 

Wall spikes that work

Steel spikes 

Razor wire (stronger barbed wire and uses steel) looks like the stuff in the pois! 

A flinger trap too fling zombies away! 

And maybe a stationary junk turret 

More traps would be great, just for the variety.  They don't even have to be better in any way, though that's fine, too.  :)

They did mention that a flamethrower trap might be an option, though they haven't said for sure and that was last summer or fall.  We'll have to just wait and see.  What would be different about a "flinger" trap and the sledge turret?  Knock them back further?  Or are you thinking something they step on that springs them away?  And the stationary junk turret... what's different about that?  You can already place these and leave them in one place, though you unfortunately can't add more ammo without picking them up.  Unless you mean you want to be able to place more of them at the cost of not being able to pick them up?  That could be an option to use junk turret ammo.  Though with the increased cost to make that ammo, it's not really worth using anymore, imo.

17 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

It honestly kills me that TFP came up with the cool idea to add flaming pipes to the game and then immediately proceeded to make them not cool by reducing the amount of damage other entities take from it (the player, however, still takes full damage). It really just took all of the "fun" out of that feature. It's not as if the player can craft them and there are probably more creative ways to circumvent the player using it as an exploit. Just take it out of the game.