Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

I already have three suggestions for Preacher gloves, for an alternative bonus. 1) Extra damage against undead animals. 2) Insta-kill screamers. 3) Disable rad regeneration upon striking an enemy.

Another one. Tie it to infection somehow - tiny chance to cure infection with each tick, or antibiotics are more effective, something like that.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

The more I've been thinking about 1.0, the more I hope dealing with the climate wasn't removed entirely?

I saw that we just get resistances now so the climate system is still technically in the game? I hope so because it seems like if you're not cold in the snow biome then it's a massive winner in terms of setting up a base in it as it's now all upside? Besides the 1.5 skull bonus, there's generally better lines of sight, more XP from randomly-spawned beasts and zombies, and easier water supply (due to smoothies).

If a blizzard still makes you cold, with the attendant effects at least that's something, and you can mess around with the values with mods if you want to make things harder, but I definitely hope the system wasn't stripped from the game entirely.

My guess is since they got rid of clothes, there's no real way for the player to deal with hot/cold at the moment, so they've basically disabled it (by giving large resistance to the player) until the overhaul that's supposedly coming.

21 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

The designs are overall fine, but some of the numbers on those armour pieces are just wacky, like the Preacher gloves just flat-out make no sense to me. They're insane. Same with the nerd hat. Really hoping we see some numeric-value balancing prompted by feedback during the experimental month.

Like you said it's still an experimental I bet some things will be Nerf like the Raider gloves The Nomad chests preacher gloves Etc

@faatal I saw it mentioned in the RWG Previewer in various streams that toggling certain features may break traders. I presume this means removing any biomes from your world. If I were to do a snow biome only playthrough later on in the version, for example, what kind of "game-breaking content" could I expect to encounter? :) Are the negative effects detrimental or trivial?

25 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I already have three suggestions for Preacher gloves, for an alternative bonus. 1) Extra damage against undead animals. 2) Insta-kill screamers. 3) Disable rad regeneration upon striking an enemy.

Another one. Tie it to infection somehow - tiny chance to cure infection with each tick, or antibiotics are more effective, something like that.

These are good and I especially like the infection for change with a very small chance or a moderate chance if reducing the infection percent by one for each kill.  But killing screamers on one hit would not be worth it.  They can already be killed in one hit most of the time.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

These are good and I especially like the infection for change with a very small chance or a moderate chance if reducing the infection percent by one for each kill.  But killing screamers on one hit would not be worth it.  They can already be killed in one hit most of the time.

Feral and radiated screamers can be summoned in hordes at higher gamestages. :) But anyway, just spitballing.

@faatalHello!This is Dmitry, please tell me if there will be a change in skill leveling?For example, those that do not require up to 7 leveling!Perception (collecting trophies and a lucky seeker, it takes up to 7 perceptions to pump them up to the maximum!Will there be changes before 10? as well as other skills, thank you in advance for answering my question!

2 minutes ago, Дмитрий said:

@faatalHello!This is Dmitry, please tell me if there will be a change in skill leveling?For example, those that do not require up to 7 leveling!Perception (collecting trophies and a lucky seeker, it takes up to 7 perceptions to pump them up to the maximum!Will there be changes before 10? as well as other skills, thank you in advance for answering my question!

No changes to perk points for 1.0.

20 hours ago, Roland said:

They start showing up at tier 2 as far as I can tell and they aren't super rare. Just uncommon. I gladly stuck one into a stone axe and was very happy for awhile with my purple stone axe and didn't feel like I needed to upgrade to iron immediately. I didn't feel any resentment when shortly after I found enough magazines to push me up to iron tools. 

As far as weapons are concerned I probably would not craft a tier 6 pipe weapon. I would wait until I progressed to tier 6 of the next level and then use it. I wouldn't save it until tier 6 of the top level. There's playing the game to play the game and then there's playing the game to wait to play the game and I don't enjoy playing the second way. I don't rush the progression so I would have a stack of legendary parts sitting around never to be used if I waited for the top level of everything to use them. If people are getting Auto Shotguns and Steel Clubs in the first week with how they play then for sure save those parts for the top gear. But it takes me weeks and weeks and weeks to get that far.

I keep a stone axe on me ar all levels of play honestly.  It's so handy that you can repair it with a stone, perfect for getting  rid of trash, popping open boxes.  

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Feral and radiated screamers can be summoned in hordes at higher gamestages. :) But anyway, just spitballing.

Yes, but by then you should have good weapons and still be able to one spot them most of the time.  They have very low hit points, even at radiated level.  It could still be an option but I think it would fall into the same category of many of these bonuses... niche and not really worth it compared to other options.

1 minute ago, Javabean867 said:

I keep a stone axe on me ar all levels of play honestly.  It's so handy that you can repair it with a stone, perfect for getting  rid of trash, popping open boxes.  

Yeah, I never "upgrade" my axe.  The extra damage isn't enough to outweigh the slower speed and increased stamina when I use it only to break stuff or repair/upgrade stuff.  If I want to chop trees, I'll get a fire axe specifically for that use, with the mod.

Yes, but by then you should have good weapons and still be able to one spot them most of the time.  They have very low hit points, even at radiated level.  It could still be an option but I think it would fall into the same category of many of these bonuses... niche and not really worth it compared to other options.

Agreed. I can't comment on infection as I'm a very experienced player and well beyond the 'rookie hours' - not propping myself up, that's just my way of saying, I've forgotten what it's like to be a new player. Halving the rate of infection ticking up could be another idea, too.

But otherwise, extra damage against the undead animals or disable rad regeneration are the solutions I like the best, coming from me personally. (Please everyone, shout your suggestions!)

Just now, MechanicalLens said:

Agreed. I can't comment on infection as I'm a very experienced player and well beyond the 'rookie hours' - not propping myself up, that's just my way of saying, I've forgotten what it's like to be a new player. Halving the rate of infection ticking up could be another idea, too.

But otherwise, extra damage against the undead animals or disable rad regeneration are the solutions I like the best, coming from me personally. (Please everyone, shout your suggestions!)

Yeah, I also didn't have problems with infection.  There is a mod to stop healing for radiated zombies, so not sure if they need to duplicate that effect.  I also rarely bother with that mod unless I don't have something else to use.

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, I also didn't have problems with infection.  There is a mod to stop healing for radiated zombies, so not sure if they need to duplicate that effect.  I also rarely bother with that mod unless I don't have something else to use.

How would you feel about double damage to undead animals. (Ex. vultures, dogs, zombie bears, dire wolves.) Too niche?

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

How would you feel about double damage to undead animals. (Ex. vultures, dogs, zombie bears, dire wolves.) Too niche?

I think it would be fine, though I probably wouldn't choose that if there were other options.  We don't fight animals all that often.  I would personally rather have an effect that will be useful all the time rather than only in some circumstances.  I'm not going to be someone who carries a bunch of armor and swaps it to get a certain bonus when doing something, so I will want things that are always helpful.  But that is just me.

Note that I haven't seen the bonuses yet, so I don't know what options there currently are to choose from or if any would be better than bonus damage to undead animals.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yes.  If you play on the default difficulty, you can one shot zombie dogs with a primitive bow on day 1 if you headshot sneak attack them.  By the time you encounter zombie bears/dire wolves (presumably) you should have weapons that make them not a huge issue.

Anyway, I have to say I don't really like the idea of the trickle zombies on horde night.  When it was a mod I could use or not use, it was fine (I've done the horde always lasts all night thing, and Day 7 with a bunch of super scary mod added zombies is ridiculous, but kinda fun.)  But I sometimes have even Game Stage ~150 horde nights over by midnight (I play on 2 hour days) so having to deal with a zombie every 5-10 seconds for the rest of the night sounds incredibly annoying (not threatening, just having to stand around on cleanup duty instead of being able to do something useful with my time doesn't sound fun.)

I think it would be fine, though I probably wouldn't choose that if there were other options.  We don't fight animals all that often.  I would personally rather have an effect that will be useful all the time rather than only in some circumstances.  I'm not going to be someone who carries a bunch of armor and swaps it to get a certain bonus when doing something, so I will want things that are always helpful.  But that is just me.

Yeah, agree. There's already a few armours (mainly the miner's set) which are "You MUST have this, but ONLY for its specified purpose." and going to prompt changing clothes where there's already been grumbling about. We don't need MORE of those sets. 

47 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

My guess is since they got rid of clothes, there's no real way for the player to deal with hot/cold at the moment, so they've basically disabled it (by giving large resistance to the player) until the overhaul that's supposedly coming.

Missed opportunity to give another balance tool to some of the armours, honestly, but we'll see what they do later.

1 minute ago, FramFramson said:

Missed opportunity to give another balance tool to some of the armours, honestly, but we'll see what they do later.

But having to find/use a particular armor in order to go to the desert/snow would be quite annoying.  It'd be no different than the current niche 1.0 armors (lumberjack hat, miner stuff, etc.)

Hopefully whatever they do won't require specific armor (when it required semi-specific clothes that was fine because that was basically all clothes did, though it was kinda annoying having to constantly change clothes whenever the weather changed) or specific perks.  This is especially true since it seems we'll have to progress through the various biomes now.

Just now, Vaeliorin said:

But having to find/use a particular armor in order to go to the desert/snow would be quite annoying.  It'd be no different than the current niche 1.0 armors (lumberjack hat, miner stuff, etc.)

Hopefully whatever they do won't require specific armor (when it required semi-specific clothes that was fine because that was basically all clothes did, though it was kinda annoying having to constantly change clothes whenever the weather changed) or specific perks.  This is especially true since it seems we'll have to progress through the various biomes now.

Agreed. Hopefully there won't be one armor type for one biome that dwarfs all the rest, although I can see why lumberjack might be a bit better for the snow biome, for instance. Each would come with varying cold/heat resist that you could further improve with mods and points into Well Insulated should you desire.

10 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I've never changed clothing for hot or cold.  I wear what looks good and ignore any resistance.  Temps just don't matter.  But with the update to weather and environmental effects later, that could change.  But I certainly won't like having to use special armor to go somewhere.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Just now, Riamus said:

I've never changed clothing for hot or cold.  I wear what looks good and phone any resistance.  Temps just didn't matter.  But with the update to weather and environmental effects later, that could change.  But I certainly won't like having to use special armor to go somewhere.

Go back to A16. You'll be forced to switch between a duster and a poncho every 5-10 minutes. ;)

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Go back to A16. You'll be forced to switch between a duster and a poncho every 5-10 minutes. ;)

No, thanks. 😁

Now, if the wardrobe system lets you swap with stuff that is on storage, then that would be okay.  But I'm not caring around a bunch of extra armor.  I'll mod out the weather before I do that.  And I would rather not have to do that.

TBH, I am fine with small bonuses from the armor.  If they make them so OP, then I will be nerfing them afterwards.  The key is balance.  You want the armor pieces and set bonuses to give you a boost, but not to the point where it becomes too easy.  And if you tweak the zombies to counter the OP bonuses, then early game it becomes too insane dealing with them.

But I won't know how everything works out until I start playing.  Watching streamers is fine, but they always boost XP to go faster in progression and I prefer the slow progression.

13 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

TBH, I am fine with small bonuses from the armor.  If they make them so OP, then I will be nerfing them afterwards.  The key is balance.  You want the armor pieces and set bonuses to give you a boost, but not to the point where it becomes too easy.  And if you tweak the zombies to counter the OP bonuses, then early game it becomes too insane dealing with them.

But I won't know how everything works out until I start playing.  Watching streamers is fine, but they always boost XP to go faster in progression and I prefer the slow progression.

With the buff too zombies some of theses aren't too bad really. The buff for the feral is finally going to make him scary again 

The fun Pimps once console comes out 

maxresdefault (12).jpg