Improve Spanish translations

vinanrra

Hi,

Right now the Spanish translations it's a mess, to be honest I think it's translated using Google Translate or something similar, it's there anything at the roadmap to improve the translations, also if you guys wants to improve the translation without paying someone use ChatGPT it's give better results, with some issues, but much better.

Greetings.

If you see something specific that could be translated better then submit a bug report with updated wording.  I'm sure they would welcome it.

Also keep in mind that for most languages there can be regional variations.  As an English speaker with access to people from the US, UK, and to a lesser extent Australia, it is very easy to find common "English phrases" that are very different between the three cultures.  I've also heard frequently, though can't confirm personally, that there are equivalent differences between Spanish used in Mexico, Peru, and Spain (just to name three).  I'm saying all of this because there are times TFP will need to pick translations that may not fit everyone's personal preferences (or face a much larger translation table).

Some funny examples of regional variations in the US based off my two most recent places I've lived:  Where I was before we called shopping carts "carts", but where I'm at now they are frequently referred to as "buggies".  Winter hats that were called either "beanies" or "stocking caps" where I used to live are frequently called "toboggans" where I live now (which is exclusively used as a term for something like a sled where I used to live).  Same English, different words used to mean the same thing but confusing to someone not from the area they are used in.

But, yeah, please submit better translations to TFP.  There are far more posters here from varying backgrounds than there ever could be employees of TFP.

EDIT: If you're feeling really ambitious then you could take a look at the Localization.txt file and add what you want to it then submit that.  I wish it were XML so that someone could just come up with a mod for each new language they want supported.

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

There have been a ton of reporting about the Spanish translations with offered corrections, it just needs to be done in one pass and we're adding more stuff that needs to be localized; it's a known thing that's going to be worked on :)

4 hours ago, Maharin said:

As an English speaker with access to people from the US, UK, and to a lesser extent Australia, it is very easy to find common "English phrases" that are very different between the three cultures.

Fancy a fag mate?

:)

<--ofSpanishSpeakingTribe......but just use Ingles.

7 hours ago, Jugginator said:

There have been a ton of reporting about the Spanish translations with offered corrections, it just needs to be done in one pass and we're adding more stuff that needs to be localized; it's a known thing that's going to be worked on :)

Are there any plans to move from TXT to XML?

1 hour ago, Darthjake said:

No fag's for me, I'm highly allergic to smoke.

True story!

Once upon a time, I am working with a chap from  across the ocean.  Aviation fuel itself is not volitile, but the fumes.  Anyways, we are working with open tanks and he asked for a torch.

This was back before I started understanding some of the Queen's English and colloquialisms <not sure if using that correctly in context>.

36 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Aviation fuel itself is not volitile, but the fumes.  Anyways, we are working with open tanks and he asked for a torch.

Reminds me of my dad.. He was working on a car and had drained the fuel into an open bucket. He was smoking at the time, and someone nagged at him that "isn't smoking around gasoline dangerous?". His nonchalant response was to toss his burning cigarette into the bucket of gas.. "gasoline doesn't burn, just the fumes." He's still with us for some reason :)

Heh.  As long as you get the dosage fixed in the liquid had quickly enough, it is safe enough to do that.  But there is still some rush that something delays getting it into the liquid and the fumes ignite.  But unless it is a lot of gas and is in a container instead of on the floor, even that isn't really much risk.  At least for gasoline.  Aviation fuel burns much hotter, so that may be a different story.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 2/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, Maharin said:

If you see something specific that could be translated better then submit a bug report with updated wording.  I'm sure they would welcome it.

Also keep in mind that for most languages there can be regional variations.  As an English speaker with access to people from the US, UK, and to a lesser extent Australia, it is very easy to find common "English phrases" that are very different between the three cultures.  I've also heard frequently, though can't confirm personally, that there are equivalent differences between Spanish used in Mexico, Peru, and Spain (just to name three).  I'm saying all of this because there are times TFP will need to pick translations that may not fit everyone's personal preferences (or face a much larger translation table).

Some funny examples of regional variations in the US based off my two most recent places I've lived:  Where I was before we called shopping carts "carts", but where I'm at now they are frequently referred to as "buggies".  Winter hats that were called either "beanies" or "stocking caps" where I used to live are frequently called "toboggans" where I live now (which is exclusively used as a term for something like a sled where I used to live).  Same English, different words used to mean the same thing but confusing to someone not from the area they are used in.

But, yeah, please submit better translations to TFP.  There are far more posters here from varying backgrounds than there ever could be employees of TFP.

EDIT: If you're feeling really ambitious then you could take a look at the Localization.txt file and add what you want to it then submit that.  I wish it were XML so that someone could just come up with a mod for each new language they want supported.

The issue here it's that it's translated using Google translate most of the strings are wrong because they are a copy-paste, and i'm just raising an issue here, not going to translate their game, I have translate mods for fun because they are free and aren't getting paid, but as advice using ChatGPT and copy-paste like they did will improve the translations 100%.

I know translations aren't a priority because they keep adding things and maybe later they will improve it, but it really hurts to see tons of incorrect translations done by Google Translate 😂