Can anyone explain this to me?

Karoti

It lets you set a longer length for how long wires can be?  Seems pretty self explanatory to me.

If you're wondering how to actually do it, you'd need to edit the file where that's set (I don't know which it is off the top of my head) or make a modlet overriding it.

My guess is that it is in the server config XML for in the game folder.

But, yes, of you want to be able to connect things at a distance greater (or less) than what we have now, this let's you do it.  You may be able to completely ignore relays with this.

I SO understand wanting longer wire runs.  One of the first Fallout 4 mods I ever installed was a .bat that when executed, allowed longer wire runs.

If there is something in .xml files that determines the wiring runs, I should look into figuring out how to do that.

I've cracked it, it came to me in the night.... add <property name="MaxWireLength" value="30"/> to the Action1 property of the meleeToolWireTool item in items.xml. Better still, create a small mod that appends it. That's what I've done, works a treat.

Edited by Karoti (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Did you know that if you go the max length of the wire, but are still within connection range of the electrical item, you can still connect the circuit?

More than that... It is actually possible to be at max length and not close enough to have the tool tip appear over the item you want to connect and you can still sometimes make that connection.  Even so, I'll be increasing the max length in my games going forward.

On 12/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, Riamus said:

More than that... It is actually possible to be at max length and not close enough to have the tool tip appear over the item you want to connect and you can still sometimes make that connection.  Even so, I'll be increasing the max length in my games going forward.

And that's fair to say too.  I guess just speaking for me I more inclined to just craft and use another connector to lengthen the circuit.  I'm not confident enough to meddle with code for the same reason.  I'll likely shoot my eye out.

On 12/9/2023 at 1:42 AM, Ramethzer0 said:

And that's fair to say too.  I guess just speaking for me I more inclined to just craft and use another connector to lengthen the circuit.  I'm not confident enough to meddle with code for the same reason.  I'll likely shoot my eye out.

Nothing wrong with that.  It can just be a pain sometimes to place those without them looking out of place, depending on your design.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, Vampirenostra said:

and I would prefer cables running over the wall and not hang in the air from the middle of the ceiling in going though the floor where there are no holes for that matter.

When cables were visible, I agree 100%.  I would route the cables to keep them hidden and not hanging everywhere.  It was a lot of work but it was better than wires going everywhere.  Now that they aren't visible except when using the wire tool, I don't really care how they are set up and so using an increased wire length is fine with me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 10:42 PM, Ramethzer0 said:

What's the harm? Not only is it a single line of code that you simply copy and paste in, but if something DID go wrong, you just validate the files on Steam and it will re-download the original file. Not to mention if you use Notepad++ to edit the file, it will automatically create a backup of the original for you. Don't be afraid to mod things. It's really fun and liberating!

21 minutes ago, TorQueMoD said:

What's the harm? Not only is it a single line of code that you simply copy and paste in, but if something DID go wrong, you just validate the files on Steam and it will re-download the original file. Not to mention if you use Notepad++ to edit the file, it will automatically create a backup of the original for you. Don't be afraid to mod things. It's really fun and liberating!

I have a full on volume of information as to my love/hate relationship with modding/modders/mods.   But I can tell you from my own personal standpoint, I do not find modding to be fun nor liberating for me at all.  I find it a tedious band aid fix that may or may not even address the issues I tend to have.

As for a brief summary on the positives, the mods or overhauls i like I REALLY like.  I keep them around as long as they are supported.  I can count these mods across all my owned games on just one hand.  It's that small of a window for me.

EDIT: And now I see why I hadn't messed with this thread in a while, so I'm going to unsub from the discussion.

Edited by Ramethzer0
topic moved to modding suggestions. (see edit history)