Looking way back to earlier alpha videos

TowLife1986

A few things I'd like to see come back from earlier alphas like 1-6 or so are such things like how the toolbelt actually looks like a toolbelt, how you have the map and all the food water health and Stam in the lower corner, and most of all seeing zombies in daylight being slower then in the shadows they pick up pace is also a crazy concept that definitely should come back!

45 minutes ago, TowLife1986 said:

A few things I'd like to see come back from earlier alphas like 1-6 or so are such things like how the toolbelt actually looks like a toolbelt, how you have the map and all the food water health and Stam in the lower corner, and most of all seeing zombies in daylight being slower then in the shadows they pick up pace is also a crazy concept that definitely should come back!

Well you can set Z's to walk in the day, then sprint/jog at night, so that's working, and who knows the outfit system might let the toolbelt make a comeback.

I do like the streamlined version of the UI for the stats, even though my buddy prefers to mod the UI.

@warmer

For the caves it can probably go either way. The negative possibility comes from the
removal of Libnoise "totally blanked now" This was probably what would have been used
to generate cave system, or digger addon which has not be added. the only other way is
prefabbed caves compiled by the artists, there are 5 presently.

On the other side "positive possibilities" comes from the following video interview. Joel
although not very verbose, talked about going toward conclusion, looking at older, systems
and routines, as long as they fit in with their final vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJHGXW3uUM

If you go back and look at each alpha, many people have posted that the game seemed to be
different or changed per alpha. I just think of them and primers or testbeds, for what can
be (in and ex cluded) from the final release.

Some of the things may have been dropped initially, but may see the light of day again
depending on the final idea.

The video is interesting, and fills in a lot of the whys and what fors questions, that people
have posted.

1 hour ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@warmer

For the caves it can probably go either way. The negative possibility comes from the
removal of Libnoise "totally blanked now" This was probably what would have been used
to generate cave system, or digger addon which has not be added. the only other way is
prefabbed caves compiled by the artists, there are 5 presently.

I modded them back in a long with fire. It takes about 3x as long, but they are unique cave systems and it's very cool compared to the few I have seen dozens of times.

As much as I like caves, the way stability works makes them kind of awful in practice.  Imagine building your base and it collapses because there's a cave you're completely unaware of underneath you, and your walls and pillars aren't supplying structural stability (and you have no way of knowing unless you clear the whole area to bedrock or have the stability option from the debug menu turned on.)

If they redesigned the stability mechanics to be more realistic, I'd love to have caves back.  But I don't see that being a thing that happens before release.

On 10/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, Darthjake said:

Well you can set Z's to walk in the day, then sprint/jog at night, so that's working, and who knows the outfit system might let the toolbelt make a comeback.

I do like the streamlined version of the UI for the stats, even though my buddy prefers to mod the UI.

No that´s not even close to how it was.  They did start running troughout the day where they usually walk, like in the shadow of a tree or in a building when there was a dark room. As soon as they didn´t have any direct light on them basically.