Cop puke going through solid cube blocks (steel) | Bug?

FranticDan

• FranticDan changed the title to Cop puke going through solid cube blocks (steel) | Bug?

You really were expecting to be safe from cop spit in this situation?

I mean, am I missing something obvious? From what I see there, you were sitting duck there, open from all sides.

Every cop that entered that room has clear sight at you,

it is in fact a bit strange that that single one took his time to move right underneath you before spitting.

What was your plan to keep several cops at once out of direct sight line with that single row of solid blocks?

4 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

You really were expecting to be safe from cop spit in this situation?

I mean, am I missing something obvious? From what I see there, you were sitting duck there, open from all sides.

Every cop that entered that room has clear sight at you,

it is in fact a bit strange that that single one took his time to move right underneath you before spitting.

What was your plan to keep several cops at once out of direct sight line with that single row of solid blocks?

Absolutely I was! There was a solid block between the cop and me. Therefore, I (should) be protected from projectiles from below.

I was expecting the puke to be stopped by the SOLID CUBE block which has 10000 max HP.
The cop was directly below me, and this protection worked many many MANY times before.
The block was never destroyed by the puke either, so it had no reason to go through it.
Slowing down the video to 25%, you can clearly see the puke go through before hitting me.

Several? I only see one...

Not saying this behavior is set in stone, but I checked it out to see what happened since solid blocks will stop spit (and they do here), but from what it looks like the cops were at a slight angle which gave them a trajectory through the grates. The splash effect lands on the solid blocks since it's a pretty non-flexible effect so going off of where it landed it does look like it went through the block, but it actually arced over the edge since at that moment the cops were visible under the grate. I snapped a screenshot of your clip, take a look:

image.thumb.png.c79acc36cdeb9f91057389abd8ca3e49.png

Here's my case (the circled cop looking at me was the one that hit me, where I was standing (on the spit pile) I couldn't see him because he was just barely out from under the solid blocks, but you can see how it arced over the edge a bit.

image.png.ee50258fe5760fe570753f3f2fe9dc2e.png

IMO if all it took was standing on 1 blocks above the floor and zombie cops were under you, you'd never get hit by spit until the block breaks. Their intention is to hit the player when no other melee zombies can while trying to take you down from your high spot. It could use some polishing, though, for sure. Just figured I'd explain it since I saw it while making sure it wasn't a glaring bug where they shoot through a solid block.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Jugginator said:

snipped 

The hitboxes in 7 Days, although they get improved every alpha and point alpha. They still need polishing. IMO, the cop spit should have at the very least hit the side of the block I was standing on, since he was mostly directly under me. (roughly 0.5 metres apart). I intentionally positioned myself under him to avoid getting hit.

My biggest frustration for hitboxes in A21, and I get that it's brand new and a great addition to the game, is the holes of doors. The amount of times my crosshair is completely within the hole of the door, yet the game still says I hit the door anyway. A lot of the time you have to get pixel perfect to hit the zombie on the other side.

13 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I intentionally positioned myself under him to avoid getting hit.

You mean above him of course, otherwise you completely failed at that attempt 😛

And I guess the main problem with your concept is that even if you think you positioned yourself at the very center of the block from your point of view,

it is very likely that some part of your backpack, your shoulder, arm, foot, knee, whatever, is indeed closer or even over the edge of that single block you are standing on. I'd say especially your backpack is visible over the edge every time you turn around.

And of course a cop would aim for that if it's in direct line of sight, just as you would aim for an arm of a zombie that "peeps" around the edge of a corner or whatever.

But I absolutely agree with you that hitboxes suck in various ways in this game.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxn8nc343ALM8BK-NITtioOCjulUpJnJpj?feature=shared

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

Damn, I was assuming it is because the "low roof" with the bars, and the molotov just immediately makes contact with them when the "throwing arc animation" is started.

It's a shame if it is a general problem you described with number of entities.

The "throwing arc" would probably be an easier fix. That should be fixable by adjusting the "starting point" of the arc/animation to a lower position,

and/or more to a "push-forward" thing instead of a "ballistic" arc.

Might look a bit weird from 3rd person view, but I wouldn't care if it made things work.

19 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Damn, I was assuming it is because the "low roof" with the bars, and the molotov just immediately makes contact with them when the "throwing arc animation" is started.

It's a shame if it is a general problem you described with number of entities.

The "throwing arc" would probably be an easier fix. That should be fixable by adjusting the "starting point" of the arc/animation to a lower position,

and/or more to a "push-forward" thing instead of a "ballistic" arc.

Might look a bit weird from 3rd person view, but I wouldn't care if it made things work.

It's a real shame. I was playing a mod that greatly increases wild and roaming counts. I was fighting them in the open and my molotov exploded in my hand, killing me (no water)

I have a similar ptoblem in my base. The outer wall and floor are made of half-blocks and sometimes it happens that vomit spills through these half-blocks and damages or destroys the electrical fences behind them. It's pretty annoying but luckily not really a big problem since I have a lot of redundancies.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

8 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I have a similar ptoblem in my base. The outer wall and floor are made of half-blocks and sometimes it happens that vomit spills through these half-blocks and damages or destroys the electrical fences behind them. It's pretty annoying but luckily not really a big problem since I have a lot of redundancies.

That's super unfair and cheaty of the game though. Why can cops hit things through blocks, and yet our explosives can't?
Consistency, please and thank you.

6 hours ago, FranticDan said:

That's super unfair and cheaty of the game though. Why can cops hit things through blocks, and yet our explosives can't?
Consistency, please and thank you.

To be fair, the zombies are at a disadvantage. They are AI-controlled puppets and have to face humans with fully functional brains. 😁

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

To be fair, the zombies are at a disadvantage. They are AI-controlled puppets and have to face humans with fully functional brains. 😁

I dunno, zombies have the ability to hit us through fully intact doors and thin walls, particularly with their hugging animation. They can also instantly get into their crawler animation within a single frame which gives them more reach and make us miss them entirely.

I guess this is a "problem" with splash damage from the vomit.

It does have an area of effect thing going on of course, but it is arguable if it should just hit adjacent surface blocks but also going into depth as well with the same "spread".

I'd like to see it doing far more splash damage to surface than to underneath layers, but that would probably be hard to calculate, maybe even because "clipping issues".

You (or things inside your base) shouldn't have to experience "glancing blows" behind a thick wall, but it does happen.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 7:44 PM, FranticDan said:

Yeah, I didn't think so... case and point?
You can't even use 'the teeny tip top of his head was visible' argument for this one.

I'd also like to add, this is very likely the reason why rockets sometimes go through blocks (most noticeably terrain) and even entities though rarely, (especially arrows/bolts) as they probably share the same/similar properties as cop spit?
A couple of months ago, during one of my horde nights, a total of SIX (6) rockets didn't detonate when I fired down at a group of zombies at an approx 45 degree angle.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, please fix the hitboxes and hit detection for projectiles, don't be modern day Doom I and Doom II

I think I'd prefer projectiles having a 100% chance to penetrate blocks, rather than the rare 1% chance. At least then I'll know I won't have the false security of being safe hiding behind a block to avoid being hit.

• 1 month later...